Paper tuning

deep_al

FNG
Try Lancaster for the top hats, I had the same but opposite issue with my VXR 28, I was constantly getting a nock left tear no matter the draw weight, the rest position, or the arrow shaft/PO my weight. I ordered the Top hat kit from Lancaster to be safe and got it in a couple days.

I actually ended upbeing able to tune with switching the stock top hats. If you are really desperate to get the top hats ASAP, send me a PM, I'd be willing to part with my unused kit.

Sent from my ASUS_Z01GD using Tapatalk

I had the same issue with my vxr and also my shop. He considered that part of "super tunning and personal coaching" and wanted $100 an hour to do so. He also said it wasn't necessary as the fletches would correct the arrow in flight. I did get him to swap the top hats from one side to the other, but that was as far as he would go.

I went home and ordered a press and a top hat kit from Lancaster. I cleaned up the tear with that and my center shot is at 13/16.

FYI, if you need screws for the axel, you can get them from McMaster-carr. They come in a box of 50 only. Shipping was also just as much as the screws.20200726_195658.jpg

OP
N
@5 shot group It's a shame that an archery shop doesn't want to help a customer achieve the best accuracy possible with the equipment they sell them, but I guess we're such a minute percentage of the customer base they figure it's not worth their time or perhaps it's beyond their limited tuning ability. I appreciate the info about mcmaster carr. I actually just got a shipment from them (low friction fiberglass tape for my rest launcher). You are spot on about their shipping cost, but in their defense I received the delivery in 2 days which is awesome service. Thanks for your input!

OP
N
On a side note, I hate the fact my VXR is sitting in the case. But on a positive note I broke out my old drenalin today and was getting some real tight groups at 50 yards. I hope I don't have to use that bow on my elk hunt, but it sure is a heck of a lot lighter to tote around.

Zac

WKR
@Reburn thanks for the tips. As far as the two allen wrench deal, the one video I watched said that you might need two wrenches if the axle spins. You're saying something is wrong if this happens?
You can use two Allen's but it is rarely necessary, stop tightening when you meet the smallest amount of resistance. Definitely do not tighten them snug.

OP
N
Update on situation. So I got my new ez green bow press set up today. My top hats were set up from the shop with the thicker one on the outside of the top cam and on the inside of the bottom cam, just as several on this thread indicated their's were. So I swapped the top hats on the bottom cam so the thicker ones were to the outside of both cams. I really took my time because I didn't want to screw anything up. The most difficult part was reinstalling the axle (I would be interested in any tips to make that easier). So I went outside and shot some arrows through paper at 5 yards, both fletched and bare shaft, 2 different spines. Bullet holes every one! Man I am so pleased. This officially marks the end of reliance on archery shops for me. I can't thank you guys enough for all the help!

Reburn

Mayhem Contributor
Update on situation. So I got my new ez green bow press set up today. My top hats were set up from the shop with the thicker one on the outside of the top cam and on the inside of the bottom cam, just as several on this thread indicated their's were. So I swapped the top hats on the bottom cam so the thicker ones were to the outside of both cams. I really took my time because I didn't want to screw anything up. The most difficult part was reinstalling the axle (I would be interested in any tips to make that easier). So I went outside and shot some arrows through paper at 5 yards, both fletched and bare shaft, 2 different spines. Bullet holes every one! Man I am so pleased. This officially marks the end of reliance on archery shops for me. I can't thank you guys enough for all the help!

Awesome bro good job!!!!

On the axle its easiest to screw in or out the black knobs on the bow press fingers. do this under light pressure just as you press the bow to make sure the each of the limbs is pressing evenly. If they are pressed evenly the axles will slip out fairly easily.

DId you get the draw board too?

OP
N
@Reburn that makes perfect sense about fine adjusting the fingers on the press. I will probably be pressing the bow again soon. I'm getting a lot of peep twist and I'm thinking it's the zebra string, so I am going to look into a higher quality custom string. I do not have a draw board, but it's on the to buy list. I want to liberate myself completely from archery shops as I can see right now my expectations for accuracy far exceeds my local shop technicians. Thanks for all your help!

Reburn

Mayhem Contributor
Yes sir no problem. Yes my zebra strings were bad creepers. Draw board top of list. you need it to set cam sync, cam timing, rests. Its worth as much as the press.

The LCA draw board is good too.

@Reburn that makes perfect sense about fine adjusting the fingers on the press. I will probably be pressing the bow again soon. I'm getting a lot of peep twist and I'm thinking it's the zebra string, so I am going to look into a higher quality custom string. I do not have a draw board, but it's on the to buy list. I want to liberate myself completely from archery shops as I can see right now my expectations for accuracy far exceeds my local shop technicians. Thanks for all your help!

https://www.fulcrumarchery.com has the best prices on LCA parts. I got my press, extra finger (for Elite) and draw board there.

If you need strings, try https://www.wickedtwistedbowstrings.com. Use discount code “DC” for 10% off.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Draw board and new strings will be ordered in the morning. Thanks guys!
I have the LCA draw board and it does the job. If I could start over I would get the archery dezign draw board instead.

I know a lot of guys like gas bow strings and they are quality. I get all my strings from Catfish Customs. Mike does a phenomenal job and is super easy to work with. Just be aware that this is busy season for all custom string makers and the wait will be longer.

Sent from my Pixel 3a XL using Tapatalk

OP
N
@doncarpenter I'm going to go ahead and order a string but I think I'm ok using the stock string for a while. I believe the biggest problem with the peep is the crappy d loop installation they did when they initially set up the bow. Three things they did that I will do differently when I install a new one are - first, I will use higher quality d loop material, second, I will tie an upper and lower nocking point with bcy 3d (they skipped this step entirely) and finally, I will take my time and properly tighten both knots on the d loop.

Reburn

Mayhem Contributor
@doncarpenter I'm going to go ahead and order a string but I think I'm ok using the stock string for a while. I believe the biggest problem with the peep is the crappy d loop installation they did when they initially set up the bow. Three things they did that I will do differently when I install a new one are - first, I will use higher quality d loop material, second, I will tie an upper and lower nocking point with bcy 3d (they skipped this step entirely) and finally, I will take my time and properly tighten both knots on the d loop.

Hold up there turbo lol. Your on your way and off to a great start but....

Im sure they used BCY 24 for d loop material. Its pretty much standard. Its good stuff. I use bcy 23. Its a higher spectra material. Downside is its kinda a pain to burn and bulb up until you learn it. It is also not as abrasion resistant as BCY 24. 23 is a little thinner and a little more pliable. 23 is also a little more stretchy at install so you really have to work to make the loop small to get it to finish 1/2-3/4". Depending on your release you may want to stay with 24. Dual caliper releases and single caliper releases are hard on 23 and need the extra durability of 24. Hook style releases are usually fine with 23 if they are babies butt smooth.

As discussed before in another thead nock points are not a necessity. some guys like them and some dont. 6 vs half dozen here.

You also dont want to torque the heck out of the d Loop. You want it to be snug but dont seperate your serving trying to get it gorilla tight. nock on and levi morgan have videos on you tube for a torqueless d loop install. Worth the watch. One of the things I bought that I dont regret is the easton multi pliers. They were worth the $ to me.

OP
N
I prefer the John dudley d loop method. I probably made it sound like I intended to wrench the heck out of the d loop knots. In reality I was implying that I would take my time and carefully snug the knots as JD demonstrates. I also prefer using the bcy 3d to insure against the d loop sliding and when it needs to be replaced I can tie it exactly where I removed it from. It's obvious the shop really half assed the d loop.

OP
N
@Reburn the loop material I have is bcy 24. The release I hunt with is a truball short and sweet wrist rocket. I practice with a too sweet hinge