Paradox Pack Unaweep 4800 Review

blgoode

Lil-Rokslider
This review of the Paradox Packs Unaweep 4800 was put together after putting 18 miles and climbing 5000 total foot gain over a 2 day backpacking trip. My load was 31lbs initially with 3 liters of water and 2.5 days of food. Add in more water to get from point to point and the load weight increased more. This pack being lighter made that overall load always 4lbs lighter than my older pack would have been. That doesn't seem like a lot of weight until you've gone some distance, your body starts to fatigue and it's raining on you. That's when this pack started to shine for me.

First I want to start out by saying that the Paradox Unaweep 4800 pack doesn't have tons of perks or flashy doodads to catch your attention. This pack tosses out many of the things we don't need and improves upon the features we are all after. Some of the features that Paradox Packs has chosen to improve upon are great usability. simplicity, meaningful functionality and comfort. The first noticeable difference from this pack and all others is the material. It uses an Xpac material that is forever waterproof, light and tough. This means no more pack covers or wet packs that adds to heavier packs when water soaks in. Not to mention your contents become damp from rain or even wet ground from most materials soaking up through the bottom if the pack is placed on damp ground enough times.

The frame is the second noticeable unique feature. It is an external/internal hybrid. This overall cuts weight from lack of internal construction materials and brings the frame closer to your body than any pack I have ever had on that has a weight bearing frame system. The frame never touches your body and I am thrilled at the weight being closer to my center of gravity than ever before. This pack rides closer than any other pack I have carried that can handle substantial weight (Not A Daypack).

Volume is such that loading items is a no brainier. Stuff lighter items in and since the compression straps as your load height rises to customize the volume depending on your load needs. You can easily custom taylor the volume width and height more easily with this pack bag design than packs that have dedicated pockets and compartments. This pack is built with one main priority. It's made to haul your load as close to your body and hold your load in a stable position. And it does just that with such comfort and stability it's shocking.

The riding comfort is due to the floating full wrap belt and floating shoulder harness and compressing the load against 2 main frame tubes. You can really lock in the load in between the frame. It keeps it from shifting and sagging. The floating belt and harness means your body can move more naturally and has more movement range than traditional internal frames or rigid external frames. My previous packs I could not bend down to pick up a dropped trekking pole or something similar with pack on with out great effort or different unnatural body movement. This pack has 90% the same articulation as a standard non waste belt day pack! I could go over or under fallen trees with way more maneuverability than I have ever had with a pack that could haul more than I could carry. Again secret to the comfort is the external/internal frame hybrid. This construction allows more articulation between the pack and your body movements. Something I was always searching for but couldn't figure out why it was never there. Well, this construction method is a true eye opener for me. All I can say is until you put this pack on you really won't understand.

The pack can carry a tall load when full or a smaller load when compressed and if needed a top lid can be purchased and added easily. It is a roll top closure design and this is super simple and perfect for varying the load height. A drawstring opening isn't as efficient at gathering unused areas as the roll top design is. This also means water isn't getting inside...period!

OP
blgoode

blgoode

Lil-Rokslider
Two features I really missed on another pack I was using was 3 compression straps with buckled up each side and a side zip to get inside the center area if you need to. Now I have both of those back! I didn't get a picture of the main body side zip but it is inline with the Talon pocket size sip.

I was not thrilled about the side water bottle pockets being the height that they are. I am used to seeing taller pockets. I didn't think that they would be as usable as they could be to carry smaller items for fear of the items falling out. Boy was I wrong. The height is perfect to really cinch down over smaller items and keep them stable and you can still get to them easily because the pockets aren't too tall and force you to have to dive in and dig in after them. Great for holding alcohol fuel bottles next to my larger water bottles and remain secure (make sure your fuel bottles are way different than your drinking containers). I also used these side pockets to carry my folding saw and tent stakes. They were worry free from falling out. The pockets just simply worked!

The floating Talon is the "MVP" of the weekend trip. No more is wondering what pocket you put something in and the amount it can hold is perfect! Either the items are visually in the side pockets, in the main bag or in the Talon. Searching is NOW OVER for the item you thought were in a different spot. A big plus for me is that the water bladder fits in this area and means refilling is a piece of cake! It is also on the outside of the pack so if it leaks it isn't a trip horror wetting your pack contents. The fact that the Talon floats on the main bag it can also be used as a compression panel to stuff other items your wanting to carry if needed.

Overall this pack is the only pack I have ever carried this type of distance that didn't irritate some area on me. If I ached from the trip it was my body saying it was tiring and overworked and not caused by my body having a pack strapped to it. I can honestly say I have never been able to make that statement...EVER!

If you are looking for a lighter weight pack that has the comfort to carry more weight than you can this is it! 3.8lbs as you see it. The minimal design approach may appear to be lacking but the main features we need are in this pack and boy do they stand above the rest.

KHNC

WKR
That's a damn good review! I have this same pack in multi-cam. I agree on all points covered~!

Good reviw. I know you said this pack can carry more weight than you can, but I'm wondering if you actually loaded it real heavy? Wondering how this pack could handle a 100# load of meat?

Great thorough review of this pack system. What other packs have you used/carried to compare this Paradox to? I've used Badlands, Eberlestock, Horn Hunter, Sitka, EXO, and Kifaru in my limited packing experience with Kifaru always coming out on top. Just curious to see how our pack trials might have overlapped and it would help me digest your review. Thanks, Bill

OP
blgoode

blgoode

Lil-Rokslider
I have used Mystery Ranch crew cab, Metcalf and longbow, SweetPea, kelty internal and external, Kifaru DT2, Kifaru XRay.

OP
blgoode

blgoode

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks bud! Haven't posted s review in a long time. This one I felt I had to! Just works to solve many issues I had with previous set up.

Bruce Culberson

Lil-Rokslider
Great review Brian.

Good reviw. I know you said this pack can carry more weight than you can, but I'm wondering if you actually loaded it real heavy? Wondering how this pack could handle a 100# load of meat?

ericfamilee - I recently acquired the 6300 Evolution. I loaded it up with 90lbs and went for a couple short hikes (1 hour each). It handles the weight way better than my old LL Bean internal frame or Camp Trails external frame.