paradox packbag attached to Kifaru bikini

wyelkhunter

Lil-Rokslider
All you pack gurus, Has anyone attached a paradox bag to a Kifaru frame? If so does it take much for mods? What are they?

Justin Crossley

Administrator
Staff member
What would be the reason to do this? Kifaru offers a bunch of different bags to cover pretty much everything.

7mag.

WKR
I agree. The Paradox bag doesn't seem that special. Kifaru offers a pretty well rounded selection of bags, that are made for their frames.

Only thing I can think of is maybe its more water resistant and a little lighter. Haven't really looked at the specs so I could be way off haha

RockChucker30

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
We make our bags to attach securely to our frame, and thus it won't easily attach to other manufacturers' frames.

If you want a waterproof packbag for your frame you can get a Sea to Summit Big River 65L dry bag. They work well. In fact we tend to think that the only advantage of a dedicated packbag over a drybag is water bottle pockets, ice axe loops, over the top strap mounting points, and the fact that it is securely attached to the frame even when empty.

Nathan

chopchop

FNG
What would be the reason to do this? Kifaru offers a bunch of different bags to cover pretty much everything.

I agree. The Paradox bag doesn't seem that special. Kifaru offers a pretty well rounded selection of bags, that are made for their frames.

Maybe he's already got a paradox bag or can get a deal on one. Maybe he likes the layout or the color or has some memories with that bag. I've had a few different bags on my K bikini frame... you *can* rig almost anything. I haven't handled the paradox bag, but there's probably a way to do it.

Sure, nothing is going to fit as well as a pack bag made for that frame, but lots of options are out there if you are so inclined.

chopchop

FNG
Chopchop,
I didn't mean anything by my question. I was just wondering his reasoning.

Ahh... gotcha. Sorry if I jumped on that one!

I must have been unconsciously defending all of the time I've spent playing around with my K frame. lol

Rizzy

WKR
Cordura gets heavy when saturated. In wet conditions I can see the advantage of wanting to use a waterproof bag with pockets or organization.

kickemall

WKR
Even if you couldn't get the Paradox bag frame attachments to fit on the Kifaru frame you could always just use a Kifaru grab it and compression straps to hold the bag in place. Unless you really need the side zip and water bottle pockets on the Paradox you could just buy a large dry bag and do the same thing quite a bit cheaper.

OP
W

wyelkhunter

Lil-Rokslider
Op , if you do put them together please post a picture of your Presidential solution.

Will do. Not sure when but I am pretty sure I am going with the paradox bag.

I already have a bikini frame. Love it and won't go to anything else.

The K highcamp 4800 is 32oz. The xtl lid is 15.

Paradox 4800 is 16 oz. The paradox lid is 6 or 8 I believe (can't find the specs on it again)

So you get considerable weight savings plus better water repelancy.

OP
W

wyelkhunter

Lil-Rokslider
Even if you couldn't get the Paradox bag frame attachments to fit on the Kifaru frame you could always just use a Kifaru grab it and compression straps to hold the bag in place. Unless you really need the side zip and water bottle pockets on the Paradox you could just buy a large dry bag and do the same thing quite a bit cheaper.

I already use a dry bag with my frame. I would rather use something that attaches directly the frame.

After studying all the vids and pics I don't think it will be difficult to make them work together.

Kevin_t

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Hi wyelkhunter
I'm not sure you would get the weight savings you desire. While the raw materials of the pack bags are of similar weight, the weight of the pack bags themselves seem lighter. The Paradox pack bag weights do not include compression system and the load sling (similar to a grab it), because those are built into our framing. Our framing does include those weights, and honestly you can get the UL frame close to 2 lb 3 ounces and that includes compression, load sling, PALS on belt etc. Therefore the pack bag weight, is listed as just the pack bag without compression etc because that weight is included in the framing. If you ran our Paradox pack bags on another frame, you may need to also include compression system and load slings in the weight. If you need any other information, please let us know.

Thanks
Kevin

OP
W

wyelkhunter

Lil-Rokslider
I would be using the paradox pack bag with the same items I am using now or would be carrying even if I bought a Kifaru bag. Load sling, compression pane (2 UL long pockets) and a couple extra straps I always carry. So I think I can compare just bag to bag weights unless there is something I am just not thinking about.