Parallel limb bows dont need weight forward

vcb

WKR
Hey so is this true? Probably going to buy the BT Insanity xl in January. When I went to B-Stinger they say all the parallel limb bows dont need weight forward....actually more backwards. Does anybody feel like a standard stabilizer (b-stinger hunter extreme 8") would make the bow tip too far forward after the shot. Especially if I'm gonna drop on a slider and add more weight to the front side of the bow?

why would they say that? I dont ever advocate a super front heavy bow, but I think that the b stinger or similar type of stab will help anyone shoot better.

Joe

OP
vcb

vcb

WKR
Well they say PL bows need more weight rearward than forward. But how many guys are running a v bar with multiple stabs for hunting. I would think a single stab has to help with hand torque etc...I gotta get to archery in the wild and shoot one to feel what type of balance the bow has

They are simply saying that a PL bow needs weight back. If you spend enough time on the phone they will even tell you for every X amount of weight in front at Y distance use W ounces at Z distance BACKWARDS! That is why you see tournament archers running some weight out front but TONS in back. I am playing with 5 ounces out front on a 12" and 11 oz back also on a 12". It just depends on the reaction that you are looking for/feeling on the bow. The majority of the guys I talk to I have look at my rig and let them see that it is ok to hunt with a front stab and a side stab. Gets better balance AND the extra weight helps with accuracy. So they aren't saying don't use a Front they meant you may need more weight back on those bows.

OP
vcb

vcb

WKR
Hey Evan are u using a sidebar ( adjustable sidebar) to put weight rearward. Can u give your opinion on a pro hunter vs. the new sport hunter extreme

J-Daddy

WKR
I've ran a single side back bar a lot over the past few years on hunting bows...Normally about a 12" front bar "which gets longer by the time you add in a QD and the side bar mount" and an 8"-10" back bar. I've normally ran about 4oz on the front bar and then like 8-10oz on the back bar. A lot of it depends on the bow really...On my Hoyts I've never bothered with as much weight but on my PSE bows like the EVO & the Omen Pro I've ended up running a lot more back weight to get them to balance right.
On a front bar "if your not gonna run a back bar" the B-Stinger dish weight is ok...I've ran it a lot...On the back bar I like the smaller stacked weights like on the Sport Hunter Extreme..It's easier to play with more or less weight with the smaller 1oz weights, bad part is those weights can get expensive if you buy a lot of them.
Other than the weight style they are pretty much the same stabs, both are carbon bars with aluminum end caps.

OH and you'll see a lot of guys running stabs like the Doinker Tactical and the Stokerized stabs that are side mounts...I'm not a huge fan because they are not that adjustable when it comes to angle and weights...I like the B-Stinger single side Strong Arm mount, a lot easier to adjust how far your back bar sets from the bow and it makes it easier to fine tune the balance. I hunted with the Doinker Tactical "a prototype" the year before they came out...They sent me one to field test for them that fall, it worked of and was very well built but just not as adjustable as I prefer.

Titaniumman

Lil-Rokslider
Between myself and my 4 regular hunting buddies we have 5 Bowtech bows, one Insanity, and all of us shoot 8" stabilizers. I like a heavier bow so I added some additional weight to mine which really helped my groups at longer ranges.

Sonoran

FNG
Concur 100% with J Daddy,

I run the 6" Sport Hunter with 6 weights on the back and a 10" sport hunter with 2 weights up front on my carbon element. I run the strong arm mount for the side bar and a QD for the front bar. This set up keeps the front stabilizer just under 12" total. I do find it useful at times to be able to remove my front stab when packing into my hunting areas as well.

I feel that the b stinger folks are spot on in their finding for parallell limb bows and rear weight......

RosinBag

Super Moderator
Staff member
VCB, you will get a 1000 answers to this question, and 900 of them are correct. Stabs are so dependent on your bow set up, that there is no magical formula. Take your bow you are going to shoot, set it up with sights, quiver and then go to the archery shop. You need to experiment with different lengths and weight and use the one that most helps your sight steady during your shot.

Basic rule for hunting, stay at 8" to 12" out front and 6" to 10" out the side. I would not try v-bars on a hunting set up if you shoot a bow mounted quiver. The stabs are there to make your sight picture as steady as possible. One ounce here in front or on the side can make a huge difference in how your bow holds.

I run front and side B-Stingers on my hunting rig. I only did this after experimenting. I had a better hold and sight picture with the side bar than without, so I shoot the side bar. Ultimately your goal is to be as accurate as possible with your given set up and stabs are a big part of fine tuning your set up.

OP
vcb

vcb

WKR
Thanks man. All great feedback to use on my new rig. Like the idea of a double stab. Like rosinbag says just gonna have to experiment and see what holds my particular rig steady at the shot

Scottiem

Lil-Rokslider
I currently shoot with a 10.25" b stinger with the 14 oz weight on my Mathews monster 7. It works pretty good but I also wanted to experiment with a side bar so I just ordered the b stinger extreme hunt kit. I'll let you now which I like better once it arrives and I get some time to shoot it.

garrickt

Lil-Rokslider
I run a 4" on the front and an 8" out the side. Both from Dead Center Archery. Puts the bow very neutral in my hand, I like it a lot but am going to try adding some weight up front just to tip it a little. I think this will make it hold even better at full draw, we shall see.

OP
vcb

vcb

WKR
Scottiem let me know how that bstinger hunter kit works out for you. That is something I might order as well

VCB,

At the moment I am running a 10" Sport Hunter Extreme in front with 2 oz and a 6" Sport Hunter Extreme in back w/ 5 oz on it. If you already have a Pro Hunter B Stinger then I would just use that in front and pick up a Sport Hunter and adj side mount. I like the 6" going back over the 8 or 10 simply because of length and accessibility to my grip in a hunting situation.

On my BOWHUNTER set-up right now for Dots I am running a FUSE Carbon Blade 12" w/ 11 oz and a 12" side Blade w/ 3 oz just to get a good hold and still be in the BOWHUNTER class (12" front restriction).

barmar65,

It is exactly the same EXCEPT you are only running one side so you don't need the V bar block just an adjustable side bar mount ( B Stinger ). I also in corporate a quick disconnect on mine so I can play with set-ups faster. Most target archers that I shoot with aren't using V bar set-ups anymore anyway a single side rod set-up saves money.