Parasite, the movie

Just as some background, my wife and I watch quite a few movies. Monday is kind of a standing date lunch at the local theater.

we went and saw parasite today. Not usually a fan of the “award winning” movies because I think most of the award givers are idiots. But, this movie rated 99% on rotten tomatoes, a huge positive rating, and I took some liberty with this “award winning” movie given the rotten tomatoes score.

let me just say, it did NOT live up to its awards nor its rotten tomatoes score. Probably one of the worst movies we have watched in many many years. Just didn’t enjoy it, mainly at the end. I understand the class turmoil plot, I understand the chaos plot, I understand the interesting South Korean lifestyle plot, but this is nothing more than a dark movie with a slight, albeit very predictable, twist at the end and ends on a somewhat dark side.

maybe I am missing something, and if I am, please explain away, but dang I really need to stop watching the “best picture” award winning movies. They just haven’t been good for a long time.

BFR

WKR
Wife and I watched it, all I can say is WOW! That’s 2hrs 12 min. I’ll never get back. As for the awards, the acting monkeys that do the voting don’t live in the same universe normal people do. Horrible movie IMO.

Was going to spend the $3 and rent this on Amazon Prime and watch it. I guess you guys saved me a few dollars. Is it that bad? I heard one guy say he thought it was phenomenal.

OP
Texasbuckeye
While it wasn’t the “worst movie I have ever seen”, it was quite a ways away from being phenomenal. Not even close to my top 100. Wouldn’t watch again, and I watch starship troopers all the time.
If you have 3 bux and 2 hrs you wanna waste, have at it. I just feel it was a waste of my time
And money. Both my wife and I looked at each other like we just watched American beauty. Just a dark movie with no light at the end of the tunnel.

Beendare

WKR
My wife dragged me into it before the Oscars....I was pleasantly surprised....I liked it probably because it was o different......though I can see where some wouldn't enjoy it.

The movie I thought was way over rated was Joker.

Best movie around right now is, "The Gentleman" ...dollars to donuts says that 9 out of 10 guys here will ike that one.

____

olliedog

FNG
I rented the big Lebowski when it hits the video store. I hated it. Rented it again two years later and the light went on.

I'm not saying parasite is the big Lebowski, but I did like the movie. Maybe it sucks. I just know taste is personal thing and tastes change. Giving an award for the best art however seems sort of artificial or just invalid. I guess I agree with you about not putting much weight into best pictures. Win some lose some.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

BFR

WKR
Ollidog got it right, “taste is personal “. The acting monkeys got it right when Dances with Wolves came out but the critics said no one would watch a 4 hour movie with subtitles. It received 7 Oscars and most people that saw it liked it, I did and still do on occasion. So, to those that like it, you’re welcome to it, I’ll go to the dentist. 🥵

lumis17

Lil-Rokslider
Worst award movie for me was Birdman with Michael Keaton. Acting was ok, but damn it was a chore to sit through it.

Haven’t seen Parasite, but I liked his other movies The Host and Okja. Don’t understand the appeal of his Snowpiercer movie, but I think I need to watch it again.

Different director, but if you want to see a trippy Korean movie try Old Boy (Korean version not US version).

Shepherd

Lil-Rokslider
I actually enjoyed Parasite - I took my 15 year-old son and he also enjoyed it. There's not many movies like it - satire and black comedy aren't for everyone.

Wife and I watched it this past weekend and both Loved it. Just as a caveat, neither of us are art students or particularly drawn to "artistic" movies in general, so we were both pleasantly surprised by how much we enjoyed it. As a prior poster said, taste is personal. YMMV. Just wanted to add one vote to the "Liked it" camp.

Also, we both HATED 'moonlight' which was a previous winner, and in the "artistic" camp. We also both disliked Joker even though we both went into it expecting to enjoy it.

Things I liked about 'Parasite' were the acting/actors, plot, and found it thought-provoking but without "trying" At no point did it feel (to me at least) like it was telling you what you're supposed to feel or think. I went into it not knowing anything about the plot and zero expectations. Was about ready to give up on it after the first 10-15 minutes but very happy I didn't. Would definitely watch again.

Also agree with a previous poster about Big Lebowski...I went through the same progression with that movie. Went from 'highly disappointed' to 'one of my favorites' over the course of ten years.

If nothing else, it's always good to at least try something new imo. Even if it just leads you to say "I will never do THAT again"

PS - I also enjoy Starship Troopers, so they are not mutually exlcusive!!! :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

Q child

WKR
Some movies are dark. Sometimes life is dark. I can't understand the idea that all movies need a "light at the end of the tunnel." I thought it was fine. Maybe watch stuff that you know has a positive ending? Look for descriptions like "uplifting" or "inspiring" or "a good time."

I enjoy movies that are unsettling or unpredictable, so I really liked Parasite. I can definitely see how some people wouldn’t though

Fatcamp

WKR
We watched it last week. I didn't know anything about it. Thought it was pretty good. Definitely did not see the end coming.