Parking during archery

IaTrent

Lil-Rokslider
Doing my homework for 2019 Colorado archery hunt. Finding some areas I would like to hunt. Using OnX I am finding trails that appear to start at county roads, sometimes within private property for a short walk before hitting National Forest. From the Satellite view it appears there is a place to leave a vehicle on the side of the road. Can I assume I can cross the property as long as I stay on the trail? Is parking along side the road a good idea or am I setting myself up for vehicle repair upon return from a few days in the back country? I seem to be struggling more with finding a place to leave a vehicle.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You can only cross private property to get onto public ground if that piece has a public easement on it. So NO I wouldn’t “assume” anything. Usually there will be a sign at the trailhead that will say if you can cross.

If it’s private you can only park in a designated parking area, if it’s public you can just pull off into the ditch.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Danimal

Lil-Rokslider
In my planning I would never assume access through private. Also in some areas/states it isn't legal to access from private even if the landowner gives permission. I share your anxiety in leaving a vehicle somewhere that isn't a designated parking area.

One are we hunt has a county road with some pulloff areas however there's "no parking on county road" signs everywhere. So sometimes that can be a hard thing to determine via google earth or maps. If you have specific areas in mind, you might check with the local game warden as they'd likely know.

If it's a USFS trail you can google the trail name and number of the trail and pull up the USFS page for it. They will tell you whether or not there is access to the trail. Sometimes there isn't access without landowner permission. I've walked around private to get to the trail before.

Swede

WKR
Backcountryshaffer makes a good point. Another way to consider it the trail is open is If it has a Forest Service trail number, is shown on Forest Service maps, and the trailhead is signed by the Forest Service, it is open to the public.
If you don't see these items, you would be well advised to ask. I would call the Forest Service.