Parking in Col. OTC Units

Not asking for honey holes or GPS coordinates here lol. But as a first timer going out West this year for a solo archery hunt...can you just pull off and leave your truck off the side of any of the MVUM roads throughout the unit? I’m using onX for mapping and just trying to get a loose route going. I obviously don’t expect parking lots everywhere so just wondered what the procedure is here. I have multiple plans in multiple Units near each other’s borders but just want to see how parking works best to really start mapping out plan A,B,C ect...

For the most part, yes.

What kind of offroad ability does your rig have? An XL truck with an even longer wheelbase, larger turn radius can sometimes be problematic.

cnelk

WKR
Depending on what Nat Forest you are in, Dispersed Camping is allowed 100ft along any one of the MVUM designated roads.
Even tho you may not be camping, you are allowed to pull off and park

OP
K
Non 4x4 Ford Sport Trac with all terrain tires. So pretty small and light. Plan is backpacking in with enough gear for as long as I need to be in but with multiple back up plans in surrounding areas if it’s not happening where I’m at

As long as there aren't No Parking signs and your truck is well off the road, you shouldn't have any problems. During September, I constantly see trucks parked right off I-70 which I'm sure is technically illegal but during hunting season enforcement seems pretty lax

Brooks

WKR
No 4x4 is ok a lot of times if the weather is nice but if it’s been raining hard and that’s what your driving you might want to invest in some tire chains. I have a F350 4x4 and still carry 4 tire chains. Most of the time you never need them but I’ve never been in the high country without 4 wheel drive and a good 20’ chain. As far as parking goes most blm and forest service roads are ok to pull off and park.

As stated above, you will see trucks from the tunnel on I-70 until you reach Vail. Heck you can see elk right off I-70, and have slammed the truck off the shoulder and glassed them up. Beautiful time of year

Non 4x4 Ford Sport Trac with all terrain tires. So pretty small and light. Plan is backpacking in with enough gear for as long as I need to be in but with multiple back up plans in surrounding areas if it’s not happening where I’m at

You might want to consider a set of the knock off max trax in the event of some heavy rain. We went in via a 4x4 rental truck with no problems, but my buddy commented that a couple sections might get dicey coming out a week later if they were fairly wet.

OP
K
You might want to consider a set of the knock off max trax in the event of some heavy rain. We went in via a 4x4 rental truck with no problems, but my buddy commented that a couple sections might get dicey coming out a week later if they were fairly wet.
Never even seen those. Definitely something I may add to the list just for the extra precaution. Thank you

Beendare

WKR
Yeah and the good thing about Colorado is I’ve never had my rig messed with there, my buddy that lived there for 40 years has never had his truck messed with, it’s pretty safe.

Now in northern New Mexico and some of those depressed areas you can’t say that, you’re rolling the dice.

Like the other guys said some traction mats, tire chains,and some form of recovery method is in order, weather it's a heavy duty come along,highlift jack or portable winch and accessories could be your best buddy in the off chance you get stuck. Same goes with jumper cables and/or a jumper pack ..cuz dead batteries suck.

Peaks&Creeks

Lil-Rokslider
Make sure there’s a descent pull off, Rangers will write tickets if you’re out off in the vegetation destroying habitat

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk