Part 2: I paid the stupid money for the 22 yr old Tacoma

WKR

WKR
"Everyone" he says. OK.

So no real source? Just one or two guys who know a guy👍

Still never seen a tacoma on the side of the road, including the 2 I've owned.

Your last sentence summed it up perfectly, while also contradicting your previous statement that it's overly common..."its not everyday, but it's real". Meaning, it's not a well known issue, but can happen once in a blue moon.

Op, stay on top of your regular Mx...check your drive train and suspension parts regularly, Grease as needed, replace when worn out. All will be well.

There's your source bud

Marbles

WKR
Classified Approved
The ball joint issue is for 2001-2004 and it is not without warning as the joint loosens up over time. There is a TSB on the issue and it clearly states the affected years and cause (not faulty design).

The people who need to "google it" are the ones stating it is a design flaw.

Marbles

WKR
Classified Approved
Last edited:

Vandy321

WKR
You can find pictures of any and every make and model with a wheel off. Take care of your stuff, and listen to your truck and you typically won't have that issue.

Point being, ball joints don't just explode...there will be signs of impending failure, just like any other suspension or drivetrain part..clunking, shimmy, vibrations, the list goes on.

Look at the years on that. Only party supports there beinh a problem. It also does not apply to the OPs truck.
I'm just say its something to be cautious if and not push off when it comes up.
I consider it a design flaw as most designs the vehicle weight push down on the bj instead of pushing it apart.
But this design does offer more clearance.

"Everyone" he says. OK.

So no real source? Just one or two guys who know a guy👍

Still never seen a tacoma on the side of the road, including the 2 I've owned.

Your last sentence summed it up perfectly, while also contradicting your previous statement that it's overly common..."its not everyday, but it's real". Meaning, it's not a well known issue, but can happen once in a blue moon.

Op, stay on top of your regular Mx...check your drive train and suspension parts regularly, Grease as needed, replace when worn out. All will be well.
They're great trucks, but the ball joints are a real issue that is well known. You can discredit my experience all you want.

Vandy321

WKR
They're great trucks, but the ball joints are a real issue that is well known. You can discredit my experience all you want.
I have already.

Going back to your original post...you telling him to replace the ball joints asap or they will explode is a bit dramatic. How do you know his ball joints are failing? What if they are fine? Should he still replace them? What if the next set explodes? Maybe he should park the truck and never drive it, just to be safe

WKR

WKR
Look at the years on that. Only partly supports there being a problem. It also does not apply to the OPs truck.

It also destroys the position of faulty design.
The faulty design is because the design has the lower ball joint below the spindle and the lower control arm pulls it downward constantly.

Your right about the tsb not applying to the OP though. I posted that for a source to the guy saying the ball joints don't fail on these toyota trucks.

Vandy321

WKR
The faulty design is because the design has the lower ball joint below the spindle and the lower control arm pulls it downward constantly.

Your right about the tsb not applying to the OP though. I posted that for a source to the guy saying the ball joints don't fail on these toyota trucks.
Everything fails at some point when you neglect the warning signs. Point is, theu don't just spontaneously combust and throw a tire across the freeway. Regular checks of any vehicle's components are smart. Replacing parts that don't need replacing just because they "could" go bad, is a waste of $.

WKR

WKR
Everything fails at some point when you neglect the warning signs. Point is, theu don't just spontaneously combust and throw a tire across the freeway. Regular check of any vehicle are smart. Replacing parts that don't need replacing just because they "could" go bad, is a waste of $.
I agree with that. I never suggested replacing something just because you heard on the internet it would blow up. If you are mechanically inclined do your due diligence. If your not find someone that is.

Everything fails at some point when you neglect the warning signs. Point is, theu don't just spontaneously combust and throw a tire across the freeway. Regular checks of any vehicle's components are smart. Replacing parts that don't need replacing just because they "could" go bad, is a waste of $.
Unless the 5k miles i do in 30 days of elk hunting on washboard roads is when it goes tits and it shits my trip.
Then it would have been a much better bet.

mtnkid85

WKR
Awesome truck, you'll love it. Ive had a few of them over the years.
Pay attention to the bjs they do fail. Heres a handy way to get down the trail with a broken ball joint though.
9702_10151109630586782_160217146_n.jpg