Part 2: I paid the stupid money for the 22 yr old Tacoma

This thread is the perfect example of fanboy-ism at its best.

“X BRAND NEVER BREAKS DOWN”

People claim they have issues

“WELL IVE NEVER SEEN IT PROVE IT SHOW PICTURES I BET ITS JUST SOMETHING YOURE PARROTING”

Pictures of issues shown

“WELL ANYONE CAN GOOGLE PICTURES OF X BRAND WITH THE WHEEL OFF THAT DOESNT MEAN ANYTHING”

More pictures and experiences added

“WELL ITS JUST BALL JOINTS ANY TRUCK HAS THOSE ISSUES THE OTHER TRUCKS WOULD BE IN THE SCRAPYARD BY THOSE MILES LOL MY TRUCK IS THE BEST”

Btaylor

WKR

“WELL IVE NEVER SEEN IT PROVE IT SHOW PICTURES I BET ITS JUST SOMETHING YOURE PARROTING”

Pictures of issues shown

“WELL ANYONE CAN GOOGLE PICTURES OF X BRAND WITH THE WHEEL OFF THAT DOESNT MEAN ANYTHING”

“WELL ITS JUST BALL JOINTS ANY TRUCK HAS THOSE ISSUES THE OTHER TRUCKS WOULD BE IN THE SCRAPYARD BY THOSE MILES LOL MY TRUCK IS THE BEST”
How long have you had your Yota? ;)

Rob5589

WKR

Pictures of issues shown

Pretty much.

Billinsd

WKR
After spending some time in it, it runs and drives very nice. I put my Chesapeake in the passenger seat for 3 hours. Holy Schit is this truck SMALL. I wanted smaller. But this thing could fit in your back pocket. DAMN!

I paid $10,500
Real smart purchase!!

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
Count me in as one that doesn't understand the emotional attachment to 25 year old $10k truck that fits in a very small niche. (Fills that niche very, very well.)
For me it's a logical attachment in that.......I have no idea what I would replace it with if I got rid of it. It does everything I expect it to do very well and more comfortable than anything else I've found. But I also have the same attachment to my 21 year old F-350, as it does what I expect it to do very well too. Two totally different types of vehicles, but each of them does what they do very well.

Without putting maintenance costs and time value of money into the equation, my 1989 Toyota has cost me roughly $39/month since I bought it. And that monthly average goes down every month I own it.

Last edited:

Fatcamp

WKR
My 4runner has a lift and oversized tires. Protecting my investment, my emotional connection, and my family with $250 and a couple hours was well worth it. Installed a stand alone transmission cooler as well. Known problem with some of these vehicles.

I don't understand my emotional connection to this vehicle either. Honestly, I think hard about selling it due to that. Supposed to be a tool, not a comfort blanket. 🤗💞 🚙

To the OP’s original post, I think you bought what you wanted. And, I think you are looney for doing so. But, that’s just me. How anyone would buy a 30 year old vehicle, with that many miles for $10,500 is something I can’t comprehend. I always think what a seller is smoking to ask such prices. But, I often come to realize it’s the buyers from my perspective, that’s doing all the smoking.

with that said, I hope it works out for you. That truck is in great shape. And, don’t pay attention to the guy saying don’t change the ball joints. There is really only one thing that’ll do that to your tires consistently. Bad ball joints. Change them. Or at least ask the seller if they were replaced when he rebuilt basically the whole truck.

They aren’t bullet proof. They require maintenance. Like every thing else. As the long list of replaced parts your truck is carrying proves. And, that trucks been a street queen. Nothing drove off road like these guys are claiming they do, looks like that after 30 years.

As a fact to prove the point, there is nothing here proving the fan boys point of reliability. Just the opposite. Any truck treated as well as that one and, been worked on so much with up keep and maintenance and non regular repairs, should be good for a while to come. But, it sure didn’t set any high marks in its first life for durability or being better built.

Most half ton or smaller Chevys, fords, nissans, dodges, or nearly any other brand would be in a scrap yard by then.

The gm half ton stuff was really good up till 2006. After 2007 it went downhill fast.
Not my experience with Nissans. They last just as good or better, but to each their own. I'll stay with what works for me.

No way would I pay that much for a truck that old. Not a chance. I would take that 10,000 put it down on a real truck (With low miles of course) and make the payments and not have to worry about fixing "minor issues" for the next 5 years I own it before I sell it to the next sucker...

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
To the OP’s original post, I think you bought what you wanted. And, I think you are looney for doing so. But, that’s just me. How anyone would buy a 30 year old vehicle, with that many miles for $10,500 is something I can’t comprehend. I always think what a seller is smoking to ask such prices. But, I often come to realize it’s the buyers from my perspective, that’s doing all the smoking.
It's just like the ammo craze right now.........it's the buyers that set the prices in motion based on the demand they create. Huge demand this past year. Same for Toyota's........if enough people are shopping for these pickups, then the prices remain high until supply exceeds demand. Same for the housing market right now.......record low supplies of homes for sale all over the country for some reason. Probably Covid related.......nobody wants to commit to moving and sell their home given the current environment.

Guys, I’m not here for an economy class. I’m schooled and practiced in macro and micro economics. I’m just stating my opinions that the OP asked for.

OP
J
I'm not mad. Quite possibly a very poor decision. Got a check engine light already, which is frustrating. Maybe an Impulse Purchase? Yea. Do I think it checks those boxes I was wanting to check? It should. The Reliability box is already not looking too good. I'll get the code read at lunch and see what's up.

Maybe I got totally Smoked and got too impatient? It's possible. Patience is NOT a personal strength. I am confident that the price was pretty in line with the national average.....which is very over inflated- I agree.

The Primer/Powder analogy is probably quite valid....I just paid the equivalent of $200 for 1000 primers. Which stings to say it that way. Will I metaphorically be "Shooting" while others cease their practice and shooting waiting for lower prices??? Yes. And I guess I am justifying to myself that: My entire conscious life revolves around Hunting, Nature and Dogs. This SHOULD be a conveyance I utilize daily to expand my outdoor activities, get me further from others and open opportunity to capitalize on my Life's Passions.

Or at least that's how I am selling it to myself.

I'm not mad. Quite possibly a very poor decision. Got a check engine light already, which is frustrating. Maybe an Impulse Purchase? Yea. Do I think it checks those boxes I was wanting to check? It should. The Reliability box is already not looking too good. I'll get the code read at lunch and see what's up.

Maybe I got totally Smoked and got too impatient? It's possible. Patience is NOT a personal strength. I am confident that the price was pretty in line with the national average.....which is very over inflated- I agree.

The Primer/Powder analogy is probably quite valid....I just paid the equivalent of $200 for 1000 primers. Which stings to say it that way. Will I metaphorically be "Shooting" while others cease their practice and shooting waiting for lower prices??? Yes. And I guess I am justifying to myself that: My entire conscious life revolves around Hunting, Nature and Dogs. This SHOULD be a conveyance I utilize daily to expand my outdoor activities, get me further from others and open opportunity to capitalize on my Life's Passions.

Or at least that's how I am selling it to myself.

So long as you didn't put yourself out financially over it, so what.

I think it's better spent than the money I see in lifts and tires on diesel's.

I'll just say I think it's both wasted, just one more than the other.

Coming from someone who has way too much money spent in archery and waterfowl hunting.