Passing the time while hunting

mudcat81

FNG
I am headed out next week on an antelope and if successful mule deer hunt. I am looking for ideas on how to help pass the time while sitting in a ground blind. In prior years I have just watched the antelope and slowly cooked inside the blind. I may have taken a few naps as well. It makes for a long boring day. Thinking I need to figure out how to download some podcasts and possibly a book or 2 to my phone. Would appreciate any recommendations.

Tikkamike

FNG
Podcasts, games, magazines. Those are the things I’d bring... I personally can’t bring myself to sit in a blind all day for antelope. I’d have to go spot and stalk.

Wapiti1

WKR
Kindle. I don't like reading on my phone, too small.

No way I could do earbuds and a podcast. I use my ears too much.

Jeremy

If you're in a blind and movement isn't an issue, pick up some sort of hobby like wood carving or knitting or leather working or work on know tying skills.

Personally, I just sit and watch and let my mind wander and I dose off a lot. But if I were looking for something to do and didn't want to have earbuds in, I'd probably go with one of these.

GrayGoose

Lil-Rokslider
I listen to various podcasts downloaded to my phone. I use one ear bud and have the volume just loud enough to hear. For longer hunts, I opt for normal plug-in ear buds so I don't have to worry about battery life. When its prime time, I quit listening and pay better attention.

NEhunter

WKR
Cant sit in a blind long myself whether i brought something or not. I have to get out and spot and stalk. I dont make a good treestand hunter either.

ericF

WKR
Another vote for the Kindle. Its lightweight and great to pass the time if you are a reader. You also aren't limited to a single book and can jump around if you want.

4Cody4

FNG
Maybe you could download a yoga routine to do? People pay big bucks to do “hot yoga”.

Ucsdryder

WKR
Pass the time by not sitting in a blind. Spot and stalk, still hunt, anything but sitting there in a hot blind bored out of my mind.

WCB

WKR
Read an actual book...I have listened to podcast before but figured out I go hunting so I don't have to listen to people talk all the time. Enjoy the quiet time or sounds around you and read....but bring more books than you think you need. I hammered out 3 books in 5 days sitting in a wolf blind in Alberta in Feb (a lo shorter days)...probably would have gotten through more but my crayons froze!

CorbLand

WKR
Kindle. I don't like reading on my phone, too small.

No way I could do earbuds and a podcast. I use my ears too much.

Jeremy
My buddy turned me onto these. I tried his and they are amazing for sitting and listening. They send the sound through your cheek bone. You can hear the sound perfect and still carry on a conversation. I took them hunting one day to try them out and I could still hear squirrels running in the leaves.

OP
M

mudcat81

FNG
I have tried spot and stalk but the ground I have permission to hunt is super slow rolling hills with basically zero cover. In a blind over 3-5 days I will typically get a couple antelope inside 60 yards. I would much prefer to move and probably will try a stalk or 2. I like the idea of listening to a podcast or a book over actually reading. That way I can constantly keep my eyes scanning around. Leaving one ear bud out is a good idea as well. The area I usually setup in offers a pretty good view to another water source and a couple food sources. I almost always have antelope in view.

rclouse79

WKR
I avoid naps at all costs. My buddy did a hunt in Colorado where another hunter could see his blind. At the end of the day the other hunter asked why he didn't shoot the big buck standing broadside at 20 yards. Inopportune time for a snooze. He had another time where he jumped when he opened his eyes and saw a buck drinking. His involuntary convulsion spooked the buck and cost him another animal. I always bring an energy drink just in case the eyelids get super heavy. If you can find a good book on tape it can make the day fly by. I always put an ear bud in my left ear only so there is nothing in my right ear to mess up my anchor point if I have to draw quick, plus you are still aware of sounds outside of your blind. I did podcasts this year. I recommend getting a few different ones. Even if it is a podcast you like, hearing a new voice can be refreshing after listening to a few in a row.

HOT TIP! Bring a frozen gallon of water. If you rotate it from arm pit to arm pit in the afternoon when you start to bake it makes the sit bearable. I still had some ice left towards the end of the day. Poor mans air conditioning! Good luck

spc7669

Lil-Rokslider
I really don't enjoy sitting in a treestand anymore, but it's the name of the game here. I'll bring a book if the shooting are is tight. I'll listen to a podcast if I'm on a field or cutover where it's more of a visual game.

mlgc20

WKR
I use a combination of podcasts and audio books paired with the Aftershokz bone conduction headphones that CorbLand linked above. Those things are like magic. You can listen to music/movies/books and still hear what's going on around you.