Past elk hunters CO unit 37/371

If anyone has elk or deer hunted this unit in the past, and went into some remote areas, I'd appreciate a PM as I'd like to ask you a couple questions not related to Elk or Deer but their big brother.

Thanks

JKOHL37

FNG
@Coveyleader did you end up going to 371 last year? Im going for muleys up there and just have some general questions about terrain and tactics up there, thanks.

I’m in the area. Tons of blowdowns. Lower areas are all private. No real trailheads to camp at if you are looking for that. some are day park only. Lots of hikers, dogs off leash, even way back. The trails get you places but those areas are popular with hikers so you will be dealing with that up until the first big snowstorm. I haven’t seen any huge deer really in my time there. the bears are becoming more prevalent because people aren’t clean. You need bear proof containers at some trailheads (rock creek for sure). It really is a crazy area with all the deadfall and the busyness of the main trails. It gets crazy pressure as it is the first town past the tunnel and it’s otc for archery and 2nd/3rd season rifle elk.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JKOHL37

FNG
Kevin,
I live in the Denver area. I'll be out there for archery either first or second week of September. I've back packed a couple times up there, not to worried about getting in or out. More worried about how skinny almost every basin is and if I'll be able to get to a glassing spot in the morning without kicking everything up.

JKOHL37

FNG
@Elkfitness

Thanks for the info, Ive been planning on looking around at the parking options this summer since the first time I backpacked up there I hiked an extra 6 miles just from parking. I'm going for muleys and I think I got some spots majority of people aren't willing to go unless it's with llamas or horses. Thanks for the bear tip, do you think I'll need a bear container or can I get away with hanging food? Not worried about finding anything huge as this my first CO hunt. I can't PM yet but when I can i wouldn't mind bouncing around some ideas to see what you think. Thanks again

Gerbdog

WKR
Kevin,
I live in the Denver area. I'll be out there for archery either first or second week of September. I've back packed a couple times up there, not to worried about getting in or out. More worried about how skinny almost every basin is and if I'll be able to get to a glassing spot in the morning without kicking everything up.
Depending on where your hunting in CO, glassing can be pretty difficult due to the thickness of the woods , even once you get up top often you're going to have your views completely blocked right in front of you by the trees and then looking down your going to see a lot of trees. That said, i hunt the deep timber so this could mostly be a "me" problem, haha.

To your concern, certainly possible to bump elk in the dark, it happens, not much to do about it. If you know where your expecting to find elk you can plan around that and dont forget to plan for the thermals in the morning. You will not want to be hunting down on elk until around 11-am, depending on the area, when the thermals have made the switch fully to the uphill direction.

Personally, and this is how i spend my mornings hunting the deep timber, i get up long before dawn, hike halfway up to where i think elk are gonna be, and then sit down and shiver in the cold listening for bugles in the dark. Once i hear some i make a move towards them or, if, as it happens, they are right above me, i will wait for hunting hours and then start hunting my way up hill. This way im taking advantage of the thermals in the morning coming downhill and once they start swirling and switching ill just take a break, probably do some calling, and then start hunting across the slope or downhill. Your not gonna win the game with the wind at your back, ever.

Maybe more advice then you cared for, no idea how much hunting experience you have here in the mountains of CO

squirrel

WKR
I spend a lot of time in there and can assure you in certain spots even the goats choose to go on the easy trails... by goat standards any way. It gets a lot of people for good reason it is very pretty. There are parts of it that require suffering, most mighty nimrods go there quite certain they are willing to pay the price of admission, a couple days later they are camped at the T/H "glassing". 37 is a lot more user friendly for most folks but summit is practically a suburb of Denver now with all the problems associated with that status. Covering miles of trail will get you nowhere but closer to the next T/H people coming in the other way, it is, after all, Colorado.

JKOHL37

FNG
I spend a lot of time in there and can assure you in certain spots even the goats choose to go on the easy trails... by goat standards any way. It gets a lot of people for good reason it is very pretty. There are parts of it that require suffering, most mighty nimrods go there quite certain they are willing to pay the price of admission, a couple days later they are camped at the T/H "glassing". 37 is a lot more user friendly for most folks but summit is practically a suburb of Denver now with all the problems associated with that status. Covering miles of trail will get you nowhere but closer to the next T/H people coming in the other way, it is, after all, Colorado.
Haha I hope I'm not one of the nimrods. Ive backpacked on some hard trails up there before so we'll see. I've got a couple back up plans in 28 that I'll be scouting as well. Are you planning on hunting in that area this year?

squirrel

WKR
Haha I hope I'm not one of the nimrods. Ive backpacked on some hard trails up there before so we'll see. I've got a couple back up plans in 28 that I'll be scouting as well. Are you planning on hunting in that area this year?
28 is another beautiful area suffering from the same disease... TOO CLOSE TO SHITHOLE DENVERITIS...

I live here so always hunt here, even if it is only for gophers and blue grouse.

In all honesty if I was travelling to come here I would not, there are better places to pay your dues and learn.

But if you pay your dues and learn you can have fun here, you have to escape the hordes, and it is not easy to do consistently, and it changes every year. Rumor has it it is rather pretty.

JKOHL37

FNG
28 is another beautiful area suffering from the same disease... TOO CLOSE TO SHITHOLE DENVERITIS...

I live here so always hunt here, even if it is only for gophers and blue grouse.

In all honesty if I was travelling to come here I would not, there are better places to pay your dues and learn.

But if you pay your dues and learn you can have fun here, you have to escape the hordes, and it is not easy to do consistently, and it changes every year. Rumor has it it is rather pretty.
Sadly I'm one of those shitty Denver people. I'm doing my best to learn more been reading books and doing a lot of planning on onx, I'll see how it goes this summer. Sadly I already put in for the DAU 9 so I'll be somewhere around there this year. Gonna do my best best to hike far and long

WyoKid

WKR
Been in those areas as well. Look to the front areas where animals drift between private and public.