Past Olympic Goats

Jimss

WKR
I'm not sure if you are talking about the slaughter of goats in the Ntl Park or elsewhere? It's really a sad day for goats and goat hunters across the country. The same exact slaughter has been happening in Teton Park. It makes my stomach churn!

OP
fuzznuts

fuzznuts

FNG
That's a beautiful picture, definitely a high point for a hunter!, congrats! Sorry guys I didn't clarify, a few years back WA gave out a few tags on the peninsula but it sounded like it was damn near impossible to get there. I have no doubt these guys worked their butts off!

Smokeslider

Lil-Rokslider
I'm not sure if you are talking about the slaughter of goats in the Ntl Park or elsewhere? It's really a sad day for goats and goat hunters across the country. The same exact slaughter has been happening in Teton Park. It makes my stomach churn!

How does the eradication of Goats in Olympic National Park affect goat hunters across the country?

Jimss

WKR
For one, Goats could be hunted with public tags. Loss of a great opportunity to public hunters.

There are a gob of non-native brook, rainbow and other trout in various national parks that are left to thrive at the expense of other native fish. I don’t see the national parks doing anything about non native trout in my neck of the woods.

alecvg

Lil-Rokslider
For one, Goats could be hunted with public tags. Loss of a great opportunity to public hunters.

There are a gob of non-native brook, rainbow and other trout in various national parks that are left to thrive at the expense of other native fish. I don’t see the national parks doing anything about non native trout in my neck of the woods.
I bet you will- Not uncommon to see kill-offs of lakes here in Montana to re-introduce cutthroats

Smokeslider

Lil-Rokslider

Goats can't be hunted in the Park. There are no "public tags" for goats in the park. There never has been an opportunity to hunt Goats in the Olympic National Park in recent history to my knowledge.

I agree to an extent about the fish analogy except we aren't comparing apples to apples.

Jimss

WKR
Another invasive species is wild horses. I heard on the news this morning that there are currently 3 x more horses on federal land than the land can support. It also said that horse numbers may potentially double in the next 5 years.

Horses can be tolerated but mtn goats not? Why not eliminate non-native horses. From what I understand there still is question regarding whether mtn goats are truly native in some of the regions? I wonder which of those 2 species has the highest impact on the ecology of the plants, land, and native wildlife?

ianpadron

WKR
Goats can't be hunted in the Park. There are no "public tags" for goats in the park. There never has been an opportunity to hunt Goats in the Olympic National Park in recent history to my knowledge.

I agree to an extent about the fish analogy except we aren't comparing apples to apples.
Sure there was.

Fall of 2020 NPS selected a handful of teams made up of WA state hunters, through an application and try-out process to conduct goat eradication efforts throughout the Park.

I believe over 30 we're killed that fall, hell a buddy's team killed 4 of 'em!

slick

WKR
Yeah, that just went to show how ineffective hunters are.

It wasn’t only WA hunters. It was a federal deal open to anyone from any state and it wasn’t a fairly allocated hunt. It was an eradication attempt that placated a bunch of people who wanted a chance to shoot a goat before they brought in the heli’s.

Smokeslider

Lil-Rokslider
Sure there was.

Fall of 2020 NPS selected a handful of teams made up of WA state hunters, through an application and try-out process to conduct goat eradication efforts throughout the Park.

I believe over 30 we're killed that fall, hell a buddy's team killed 4 of 'em!
I'm well aware of that event. It wasn't a hunt. No tags were purchased, hunting license not required. It wasn't made of up "Washington Hunters". It was open to anyone. They were volunteers.

My point is this: Hunting isn't allowed within Parks by rule.

The eradication program on the Oly Park didn't have some profound effect on hunting elsewhere, at least in a negative way.

ianpadron

WKR
I'm well aware of that event. It wasn't a hunt. No tags were purchased, hunting license not required. It wasn't made of up "Washington Hunters". It was open to anyone. They were volunteers.

My point is this: Hunting isn't allowed within Parks by rule.

The eradication program on the Oly Park didn't have some profound effect on hunting elsewhere, at least in a negative way.
"Volunteers" killing mountain goats with rifles. That's hunting imho, but I'm not going to go back and forth on semantics.