Patagonia (please read)

Lowg08

WKR
I think bash away, civilly. If one can’t defend their actions then that’s on them. Most probably haven’t considered why they make the choices they make. Shoot most of us probably make a decision from an emotional place and defend that emotional decision with hand picked logic in support while ignoring the logic in conflict.
I fully agree with your reasoning. The worst decisions I’ve ever made were emotionally based. I’m pretty sure that is why my nose is so crooked.

Castronova

Lil-Rokslider
I own some Patagonia hiking boots, a fleece vest, etc. I bought to go to the Galapagos in 06’. I’ve worn those same items as recent as last week, they are very well made. Not too many years after that trip I learned Patagonia helped fund the MPA’s off the Cali coast that shut down a lot of Spearfishing for my fellow divers. I’ve never bought a piece of their gear since then.
i didnt get to read all 8 pages but Patagonia seems to have been up to funding the closure of resources to hunters of all kinds for many years.

I think bash away, civilly. If one can’t defend their actions then that’s on them. Most probably haven’t considered why they make the choices they make. Shoot most of us probably make a decision from an emotional place and defend that emotional decision with hand picked logic in support while ignoring the logic in conflict.
Yup. That's the flavor of the day alright.

As a wise man once said, "To often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought!"

OP has been torn apart on here for essentially stating the facts about predator management and how Patagonia's aggressive anti- hunting propaganda is misaligned with general hunter/conservationist principles.

If we are hunters in today's world, we are managers of game.

Predator management, like it or not, is certainly an element of quality game management as we know and expect it today. Is there a prey/predator balance? Surely but, in a lot of instances; as he alludes (yet didn't exactly spell out but, was clear to me and others), predator management is vital and what some would even call the heavy lifting in providing the opportunity for that "buck a year"! Is everyone going to actively hunt a wolf, bear or coyote? No, but, we should all be thankful for those who do as legal opportunity presents itself because those efforts generally provide positive results however, one may feel about participating....

Who could doubt that Patagonia does good things for the environment that, we, as hunters would appreciate much more if they would lay off the polarizing antics. I appreciate anything they do to protect the resource but, I will not spend a dime with a company who is so emphatic about demonizing a segment of their customer base through storefronts or through pity payments to anti-hunting elements!

Patagonia.... pffffttt!!!!

Last edited:
OP
BackcountryBloodline
Didn't mean to bash anyone with this thread, I believe I stated in my OP to first and foremost wear whatever keeps you guys warm and dry, I'll always provide some food for thought on the topic but I'm not here to judge. Just trying to inform my fellow Roksliders about how their dollars may be spent just in case they happen to care about that!

brsnow

WKR
Nope... not poor form, just reminding you that this is a "discussion"!

As a wise man once said, "To often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought!"

You stated an adversarial opinion without expressing reasoning behind it. In other words you didn't have a point. Look back at the Kung Flu posts of yours.... same thing!
OP has been torn apart on here for essentially stating the facts about predator management and how Patagonia's aggressive anti- hunting propaganda is misaligned with general hunter/conservationist principles.

If we are hunters in today's world, we are managers of game.

Predator management, like it or not, is certainly an element of quality game management as we know and expect it today. Is there a prey/predator balance? Surely but, in a lot of instances; as he alludes (yet didn't exactly spell out but, was clear to me and others), predator management is vital and what some would even call the heavy lifting in providing the opportunity for that "buck a year"! Is everyone going to actively hunt a wolf, bear or coyote? No, but, we should all be thankful for those who do as legal opportunity presents itself because those efforts generally provide positive results however, one may feel about participating....

Who could doubt that Patagonia does good things for the environment that, we, as hunters would appreciate much more if they would lay off the polarizing antics. I appreciate anything they do to protect the resource but, I will not spend a dime with a company who is so emphatic about demonizing a segment of their customer base through storefronts or through pity payments to anti-hunting elements!

Patagonia.... pffffttt!!!!

Emotional nonsense.

Not nearly as much as most hunters want to believe. Hunters are an incredibly inefficient management tool, not to mention incredibly expensive to manage.

no, the imposed laws and regulations make hunters incredibly inefficient management tools. They are put in place soley for sustainablilty.

I bet with all certainty we could send wolves back to the abyss in short order with a no holds bar approach. in fact there isn’t a species we couldn’t.

no, the imposed laws and regulations make hunters incredibly inefficient management tools. They are put in place soley for sustainablilty.

You make my point, only in a different way. Public hunting requires laws and regulations, which makes it burdensome and expensive to manage.

It also depends a lot on the species you're talking about. The impact of hunting on Snipe, for instance, is practically non-existent compared to other factors such as breeding ground conditions.

I own some Patagonia hiking boots, a fleece vest, etc. I bought to go to the Galapagos in 06’. I’ve worn those same items as recent as last week, they are very well made. Not too many years after that trip I learned Patagonia helped fund the MPA’s off the Cali coast that shut down a lot of Spearfishing for my fellow divers. I’ve never bought a piece of their gear since then.
i didnt get to read all 8 pages but Patagonia seems to have been up to funding the closure of resources to hunters of all kinds for many years.

I just saw your post about d600 with Ikelite housing. I know this is an answer to a different thread, but I don't have classifieds privileges... Is it still available? I suppose you can PM me or stepan dot capek at g mail. Thanks!

Okhotnik

WKR
Hey guys,

Have been seeing lots of mentions of Patagonia in the clothing section and seeing lots in the classifieds. They undeniably do make high quality mountaineering gear and I can understand why some people would choose to wear their clothing. That said I get prorated on their gear through my work and won't buy a pair of socks from them...I don't part with my money easy and am always looking for a deal when I can find one. If a company isn't vocally pro hunting that's no deal breaker for me, everyone is entitled to their own views and causes. When a company is openly ANTI hunting though and supports groups that are actively working against my rights as a resident BC hunter I refuse to support them no matter how good the gear/deal is. In 2017, the "wildlife defense league" which is an anti hunting group based in BC, led the charge in having grizzly hunting banned throughout the province...we have the highest (and ever growing) griz population in the world and they need management just like any other species, actually more if you consider their lack of natural predators aside from us. The same group is currently pursuing doing the same with black bear, wolves, coyotes, lynx, cougar and bobcat and are being backed by the Vancouver Patagonia location. Patagonia has taken a hands off approach with this and stated that it has nothing to do with them and is simply an individual franchise decision. That doesn't sit very well with me since WDL events are being hosted at the Patagonia store itself, using the Patagonia name for credibility and the money being donated in the name of Patagonia was presumably earned off the marketing done by the brand itself.

Just thought I would fill you guys in on this, I've mentioned it before on other threads but figured I would drop it here as a reminder to vote with your dollar however you can this season. At this point I would rather hunt late season downpours in cotton mossy oak from walmart and embrace the suck than line Patagonia's pockets and help strip my own rights away, luckily we have companies that offer similar quality and also openly support hunting at a small premium if any.

Stay warm and dry, but first and foremost please support the maintenance of our rights and freedoms wherever possible!

Thanks for taking the time to post

A half century after founding the outdoor apparel maker Patagonia, Yvon Chouinard, the eccentric rock climber who became a reluctant billionaire with his unconventional spin on capitalism, has given the company away.

Rather than selling the company or taking it public, Mr. Chouinard, his wife and two adult children have transferred their ownership of Patagonia, valued at about $3 billion, to a specially designed trust and a nonprofit organization. They were created to preserve the company’s independence and ensure that all of its profits — some $100 million a year — are used to combat climate change and protect undeveloped land around the globe