Patriot Valley Arms (PVA) Monolithic Bullets

Ens Entium

Lil-Rokslider
Anyone try out the Josh Kunz's of Patriot Valley Arms' new monolithic bullets?

Claims to maintain high BCs while still having good terminal ballistics at a wide range of distances (expansion at 1600-1700 fps compared to 1800 for Barnes LRX).

Anyone have any experience with these? Eyeing them myself for CA to have a greater margin of error for longer shots compared to current lead free projectiles (TTSX/LRX).

Last edited:

6.5x284

WKR
I have 100 to load up this weekend and try, will post back my results. @28bang how far off the lands do you have them?

28bang

WKR
Right now it’s .005” off with the 170s. Also have 122s for my 6.5 PRC but haven’t shot them yet.

6.5x284

WKR
Right now it’s .005” off with the 170s. Also have 122s for my 6.5 PRC but haven’t shot them yet.

Thanks for the info. I'll be loading the 122's for my 6.5 SAUM. I've read more than one person getting 3350 in a PRC with them but that's probably pretty hot. I'll let you know how mine work out. I was planning to start at .005 off as well.

28bang

WKR
Thanks for the info. I'll be loading the 122's for my 6.5 SAUM. I've read more than one person getting 3350 in a PRC with them but that's probably pretty hot. I'll let you know how mine work out. I was planning to start at .005 off as well.

that’s good to hear someone is getting 3350. I was hoping for around there. We’ll see. I’ll report back as well

OP
E

Ens Entium

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks everyone for sharing. May have to finally look into reloading to take advantage of these bullets!

I'd love to see more info on them. Seems a lot of folks had trouble trying to get the warner flat line bullets to shoot tight so that would be my main concern with these. Haven't heard much about the flat lines for a while even though their BC is outta this world.

OP
E

Ens Entium

Lil-Rokslider
I'd love to see more info on them. Seems a lot of folks had trouble trying to get the warner flat line bullets to shoot tight so that would be my main concern with these. Haven't heard much about the flat lines for a while even though their BC is outta this world.

Have you had much experience with monos?

Does not seem to be much info/data on anything other than Barnes TTSX/LRX. Unfortunately not great BC.

Badlands Precision seems good on paper as well but very little feedback.

Hammer seems to only have a few vocal proponents which makes me weary.

Hornady while not a mono seems to have consistency issues with the GMX.

6.5x284

WKR
I have a couple pounds of it. Tried it last night and got up to 3270 before pressure. Hoping I’ll get in the 3200 area

Ya I don’t know what their reamer specs were or barrel length was either. All plays a part. That’s still no slouch at your velocity. I loaded up some 122’s for the SAUM but I pretty much only run H1000. We will see where it’s at.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Have you had much experience with monos?

Does not seem to be much info/data on anything other than Barnes TTSX/LRX. Unfortunately not great BC.

Badlands Precision seems good on paper as well but very little feedback.

Hammer seems to only have a few vocal proponents which makes me weary.

Hornady while not a mono seems to have consistency issues with the GMX.

I have very little experience with monos. Tinkered with 127 LRX in a 6.5 saum (shot pretty well) and 168 TTSX in a 300 wsm (not pretty). Haven’t shot game with anything but Berger’s or elds in the last 5 years.

28bang

WKR
Ya I don’t know what their reamer specs were or barrel length was either. All plays a part. That’s still no slouch at your velocity. I loaded up some 122’s for the SAUM but I pretty much only run H1000. We will see where it’s at.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I also have a 21” barrel.

khuber84

WKR
I was the guy getting 3350 with RL26, 26" barrel with the pva 122 Cayuga. Yes it was hot, however no pressure signs on adg brass. I had the 151 in a 7max going 3420 and stupid accurte, but that was def hot! I also have the 178 30 cals for my 300wsm, but it's been throated with 225 freebore for 215 Bergers and I haven't tried em yet. I have zero experience on game. I kinda shelved em once I was told they shed part the nose and start to tumble. I want a bullet that mushrooms but holds its shape.

28bang

WKR
They keep saying the 170s are being made every week. Can’t keep waiting, I have some CE 185 lazer and 125 lazers that I’m going to try. Supposed to be like hammers with much better bcs

RussDXT

WKR
I used them last year on antelope, mule deer, and elk. All with a 6.5 prc at 3200 fps.

Great results, the elk made it 30 yds before collapsing, and the mule deer and antelope dropped.

Shots were 200-400 yds.

Using them again this year, the wound channel was devastating.

Fwiw I have had poor results with barns.

I used them last year on antelope, mule deer, and elk. All with a 6.5 prc at 3200 fps.

Great results, the elk made it 30 yds before collapsing, and the mule deer and antelope dropped.

Shots were 200-400 yds.

Using them again this year, the wound channel was devastating.

Fwiw I have had poor results with barns.
Interesting, what did it do differently in terms of performance on game than a ttsx ?