Paying for Quality or Sponsors? Boots that Perform.

bcbower

FNG
Hello Everyone,

Im looking to purchase a new boot for Mt Hunting next season. Coming from a guy that has ZERO Experience in the back country and has only had the internet to research what boot to get, information has seemed to get a little clouded.

While doing the research it seems that a lot of these boot brands (Crispi, Schnees) are backed by big time names in the hunting world. On the other side you have boots that seem to be more low key (Hanwag, Zamberlan) and are not backed or sponsored by any big time names. At least from what ive seen. (Correct me if im Wrong)

I just want to go with someone whose name has been tested and true. And I do not care if its being sponsored or not. Just need some input from those who have actually used boots that work for the long haul.

Also, if there is a specific thread that tackles this same topic please point me in the right direction.

Appreciate the Input!

Bulldawg

WKR
Hello Everyone,

Im looking to purchase a new boot for Mt Hunting next season. Coming from a guy that has ZERO Experience in the back country and has only had the internet to research what boot to get, information has seemed to get a little clouded.

While doing the research it seems that a lot of these boot brands (Crispi, Schnees) are backed by big time names in the hunting world. On the other side you have boots that seem to be more low key (Hanwag, Zamberlan) and are not backed or sponsored by any big time names. At least from what ive seen. (Correct me if im Wrong)

I just want to go with someone whose name has been tested and true. And I do not care if its being sponsored or not. Just need some input from those who have actually used boots that work for the long haul.

Also, if there is a specific thread that tackles this same topic please point me in the right direction.

Appreciate the Input!

Crispi and schees have big hunting names attached to them, but hanwag and zamberlan probably have much bigger names tied to them in the other outdoor industries (I assume), because there is more people and money outside of hunting. So any kind of decision based on that is not really truthful.

There are a lot of good ones out there but you gotta try them on and decide which one fits, hanwag, zambwrlan, scarpa, la sportiva, selewa, bunch of boots out there

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Block

WKR
I pretty much wont buy boots from anywhere but REI anymore becuz of their awesome return policy... it’s a struggle to find the perfect boot. Iv bought probably 30+ pairs over the past 3 years and still haven’t found what I’m lookin for.. the Salomon 4D GTX is a “decent” mid priced boot that are very comfortable on MOST people,, just not good for cold wet hunts...

spc7669

Lil-Rokslider
I wear the Quests for exactly that reason. They are comfortable. Gaiters help with the wet and boot blankets for the cold. Had some Keens given to me and a buddy said they would be my new favorite. They are painful to wear. Meindles didn’t work either. The REI suggestion is great. Your feet are unique and it may take some trial and error to find what works for you.

rclouse79

WKR
Unfortunately my feet don’t work with most boots. After many failed attempts resulting in bloody heels, I settled on Salomon quests. When my current pair starts to show wear I start looking for another on eBay. So far I have been lucky enough to find like new pairs for around 100 bucks. They are the only boots I have found that I can wear new with no problems.

Order a pair of Meindl boots from MeindlUSA. Try them on in the house and walk around. If they feel good then you have found your boot.

JB64

Lil-Rokslider
Best bet is to just try different boots and going to REI is a great place to start. Feet are too unique to really say Brand X is better than Brand Y. That said, try different boots and maybe take a couple different sock combos too try with those boots as well. So many great companies out there.

def90

WKR
In my mind western mt hunting is no different than mountaineering. There are tons of other companies such as Scarpa, Garmont and others that have been making mountaineering boots as long as mountaineering has been a sport and are just as worthy of taking a serious look at. I had a pair of Cripis last year, they were hot despite being "uninsulated", one of the lace clasps bent as I tightened the boot one morning and overall nothing about them stuck out to me as being special. This year I'm using Scarpa Zodiacs. Don't buy a boot just because it's used by a hunter.

Poser

WKR
First let me say that this thread is refreshing after reading all of the complete shit show advice I see daily in various hunting FB groups where people, for whatever reason, seek some weird sort of validation by recommending the pair of boots they use (excuse me, the “boot systems they run”). Boots fit is highly individual and the few pro hunters that are sporting sponsorship deals (in some cases getting commissions on sales by offering promo codes) should have no sway on your decision. Hunting boots are hiking/backpacking/mountaineering boots. Beyond the fact that we carry a lot of weight and are out in the cold, there is nothing unique about western style hunting that requires a specialized boot. Your boot needs to fit your foot profile well. Some brands favor narrower feet, other favor wide feet. No matter what, you should expect to invest further in high quality insoles that also feet your foot profile.

Your best bet is to go to a REI and try on different brands. You might even invest in some insoles first and bring those with you since the factory insoles are junk. Definitely wear the socks that you wear hunting. You could also bring a pack with some weight in it. Once you get an idea of the brands that fit your feet well, look around and see what your options are for that brand. The best pair of boots are the boots that feet your feet the best. Period. Whether you spend $200 or $1000. All other boot advice is irrelevant.

TX_Diver

WKR
Don’t rule out black ovis (usually a code for Rokslide members too).

order whatever you want and it’s $8 flat shipping to send them back.

you could also go the custom boot route with someone like Lathrop and sons who make fantastic footwear.

Check out Hoffman boots, they have a deal on their explorer line until the end of the month too. Another “under the radar” company. The owner, Jim personally answered all of my questions and was very helpful in picking out the right boot And size for me.

PNWGATOR

WKR
Hoffman Boots.

They’re a sponsor. Offer incredible customer service and first class products in EVERY line they offer. If they fit your feet, look no further.

Brendan

WKR
Best thing you can do is realize that you're going to need to try on several pairs / manufacturers to see what works for your foot. Take Scarpa for example: Great boot, but get a big HELL NO from me after how badly they tore up my foot.

Do yourself a favor and give Lathrop & Sons a call, some of the most helpful guys in the industry. I wear their mountain hunter elite, which for me is a great next boot up from lightweight / early season light hikers. More support, but still good to put on the miles. (Take note, their insoles offer zero support, only cushioning. They work well for me in my L&S boots, support comes from the boot and the last, but I don't use them in others - need to understand how they work)

I do like Crispi, they break in easy, comfortable. Worth a look depending on the type of boot and features you're looking for.

But this is a very good idea. What I do most of the time, just expect to eat shipping:

Don’t rule out black ovis (usually a code for Rokslide members too).

order whatever you want and it’s $8 flat shipping to send them back.

you could also go the custom boot route with someone like Lathrop and sons who make fantastic footwear.

OP
B

bcbower

FNG
Check out Hoffman boots, they have a deal on their explorer line until the end of the month too. Another “under the radar” company. The owner, Jim personally answered all of my questions and was very helpful in picking out the right boot And size for me.

Appreciate the help. Ive never heard of Hoffman. Ill for sure check them out.

WesCAtoll

Lil-Rokslider
For what its worth, I have some schnee timberline, and they are really comfortable, my feet were dry with a sock liner in 80 degrees+ gaitors . Ive only taken them out twice so far, but were def worth the $80 extra over the solomon gtx 4d (which I returned to REI, light and comfortable, not great for wet grass or errant fences with nails) when they had the 20% off a few weeks ago.

i’ve had to try several different boot manufactures to find a brand that fits me well.
hanwag has been the ticket for me personally.

Love my hanwags. I have schnees and crispi idahoes both are good boots but for comfort fit the hanwags do my feet right.