WTB Payment question

Kelk

WKR
Rating - 100%
44   0   0
What is everyone’s preferred method of payment for a rifle? Using FFL to FFL. Apparently PayPal does not allow the sale of guns? What options are there that protect both buyer and seller? Thanks for the help.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

m274

WKR
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
There really aren't any options that protect both buyer and seller. Paypal will not provide any protections for firearms purchases and can close accounts if you do transactions for firearms. Other payment options such as wire transfer, zelle, or venmo have pretty much 0 protection for the buyer. The funds are gone and though their bank may help them dispute it, it's not likely. Doing a USPS Money order at least gives the perception that it would be considered mail fraud if the seller did not complete the transaction. not sure how much the govt cares about prosecuting a couple k mail fraud though.

sorry to not have a positive answer, but this is how it is with firearms private party transactions.

OP
K

Kelk

WKR
Rating - 100%
44   0   0
No that’s great help. USPS is a great option

Ramblin99

WKR
Rating - 100%
18   0   0
I've purchased several firearms with Paypal but you have to do it through the very risky Friends-n-Family transaction and don't write anything in the "message" box. But you have to really know who you are dealing with. This forum and others allow a person to establish a lengthy record of trusted dealings. Otherwise I use USPS money orders because of the mail fraud threat.

338maker

WKR
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
simply put Paypal is one of the most far left companies around and they will tell you they do no support the right to bear arms or the ability to won them.. if you cannot trust the individuals on this site specially sponsors or well known members then well i would guess shop at sportsmans! LOL

case in point i was selling some barrels member asked my payment method after stating said person would take it .. I replied MO and that paypal is shit ....then member ghosted me ha ha even after knowing i was a site sponsor and well known member wont even respond with a no thanks!!! HA HA oh well

OP
K

Kelk

WKR
Rating - 100%
44   0   0
Ya it sounds like the USPS money order is the way to go. That way he knows it’s guaranteed funds and I have some feel good measures in place also.

Rating - 100%
3   0   0
At this point I don’t buy a gun off here unless someone is posting meaningful content or willing to engage in some sort of phone call conversation.

if it’s gtg, snail mail a check. That’s what I do.

been nearly burned twice.. be super wary on wtb ads.

BigSky

WKR
Rating - 100%
22   0   0
I always let the buyer choose his preferred method of payment whether that be paypal gift, personal check or money order. I will pay each way also; however, paypal gift is relegated to those with whom I have established a comfort level that satisfies me to the extent possible.

OP
K

Kelk

WKR
Rating - 100%
44   0   0
I always let the buyer choose his preferred method of payment whether that be paypal gift, personal check or money order. I will pay each way also; however, paypal gift is relegated to those with whom I have established a comfort level that satisfies me to the extent possible.

If you’re the buyer, what’s your choice?

Clrems77

WKR
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
If your using an FFL, which you should be, contact them and see if they will help you by not releasing the gun until payment has gone through. It’s what I do for all my customers to keep things fair.

BigSky

WKR
Rating - 100%
22   0   0
If you’re the buyer, what’s your choice?
1st choice, personal check as it can be backtracked easiest. My second choice would be either money order or paypal gift. I figure once I send money, it's always a leap of faith. I just try to eliminate all of my concerns before I pay. I send when I'm convinced it is safe, or as safe as I can be reasonably convinced. I do my due diligence. Nothing is 100%; but, so far so good. i have walked away from many deals that caused my radar to activate. A couple of rules. Don't fall in love with anything and be willing to walk away. Never send more money than you are able to lose. Note, I didn't say you are willing to lose, I said able to lose. After hundreds if not over a thousand online purchases, I haven't been hosed yet.

OP
K

Kelk

WKR
Rating - 100%
44   0   0
1st choice, personal check as it can be backtracked easiest. My second choice would be either money order or paypal gift. I figure once I send money, it's always a leap of faith. I just try to eliminate all of my concerns before I pay. I send when I'm convinced it is safe, or as safe as I can be reasonably convinced. I do my due diligence. Nothing is 100%; but, so far so good. i have walked away from many deals that caused my radar to activate. A couple of rules. Don't fall in love with anything and be willing to walk away. Never send more money than you are able to lose. Note, I didn't say you are willing to lose, I said able to lose. After hundreds if not over a thousand online purchases, I haven't been hosed yet.

Thanks for the input. Much appreciated.

OP
K

Kelk

WKR
Rating - 100%
44   0   0
If your using an FFL, which you should be, contact them and see if they will help you by not releasing the gun until payment has gone through. It’s what I do for all my customers to keep things fair.

Great idea. Thanks.

h2so4

WKR
Rating - 100%
26   0   0
If I am concerned, I find a local FFL for the seller, contact them to explain the situation. I ask if they will accept the gun for shipping to my ffl, once the gun is in their possession, I send them physical funds to give to the seller. this way they see the good funds come through and won't hold the shipment. Its not fool proof, but it has worked before. It works even better if you get to pick the ffl and not the one the seller is using.

Sitka280

FNG
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Touch off topic but relevant. About 2 years ago I was talking with a tactical equipment store manager that didnt actually sell functioning firearms but just parts. PayPal "audited" the account and closed it, plus seized from what I remember in the ball park of $25,000 in the account and they were in a battle for them to release the money. The manager said it was going to be a 6 month fight to get it back. This store mostly catered to law enforcement and military. Crazy world we live in! 🤔