Peak Design Capture Clip on Kickstarter - Last Day

colonel00

WKR
As of right now, there are only 10 hours left. This is a new design of the clip system that is much smaller. This is a fantastic way to carry a camera attached to your pack shoulder strap.

As a bonus, in their campaign add-on menu, you can get a bino adapter for $5. This will allow you to carry your binos on your shoulder strap. The adapter will also then fit into any ARCA style tripod head.

Camera Carry, Reimagined: Capture v3, Slide, and Slide Lite by Peak Design —Kickstarter

Also, the bino adapter might be a slick way to carry a P&S camera.

Beendare

WKR
As of right now, there are only 10 hours left. This is a new design of the clip system that is much smaller. This is a fantastic way to carry a camera attached to your pack shoulder strap.

Seems like a good idea....

So that outfit has raised $1.3M in donations....wow....and essentially there is no guarantee you will get what is promised if I understand it correctly. I'm curious, what keeps this outfit from just taking the money and running?

dotman

WKR

So that outfit has raised $1.3M in donations....wow....and essentially there is no guarantee you will get what is promised if I understand it correctly. I'm curious, what keeps this outfit from just taking the money and running?

This company is very reputable, they are just getting customers to invest without having to layout their own capital to manufacture inventory. Similar to what Kuiu did with Guiu. Now if it was an unknown or company with a bad reputation they wouldn't have raised the funds.

I didn't review the campaign as I already have what I would want from them but I wouldn't worry about being screwed over.

Also I think they have brought a few new products to market this way over the years, here is their website with current in production items Peak Design | Gear For Creative, Adventurous People

Technically nothing but Peak Design is a pretty well known company in the photography industry so people will get what they paid for, but many a kikstarter has gone tits up and left the donors with nothing. The Lucy drone is probably the most recent and most costly failure I can think of.

Personally I don’t need anything bad enough to foot the bill without a guaranteed product. Peak I would imagine is gauging interest but I still don’t like that a legitimate well established buissness is still using the crowd funding method, I’m not fancy on the crowd funding method at all really.

OP
colonel00

colonel00

WKR
Yes, Kickstarter and crowd funding can be a gamble for sure. I've been burnt a couple times by companies that just go dark. Mostly, I won't touch anything that has to do with technology anymore as startups just can't gauge what it will truly take to make something come to life.

I also agree that I've thought the same thing about PD still using Kickstarter. Granted, they are still a fairly small company so I see why it is beneficial for them to generate the capital upfront before production begins. Mostly I don't think they need to use Kickstarter and could run their own funding campaign themselves.

GotDraw?

WKR
FWIW- Using Kickstarter for funding may be more about the tremendous access to almost free advertising/exposure and less about funding.

JL

Yes, Kickstarter and crowd funding can be a gamble for sure. I've been burnt a couple times by companies that just go dark. Mostly, I won't touch anything that has to do with technology anymore as startups just can't gauge what it will truly take to make something come to life.

I also agree that I've thought the same thing about PD still using Kickstarter. Granted, they are still a fairly small company so I see why it is beneficial for them to generate the capital upfront before production begins. Mostly I don't think they need to use Kickstarter and could run their own funding campaign themselves.

dotman

WKR
FWIW- Using Kickstarter for funding may be more about the tremendous access to almost free advertising/exposure and less about funding.

JL

That is a good point. If I had a small business this is the direct I would take it, it gets your brand in front of a large crowd and hopefully provides interest free capital. Succeed at this a few times and watch your business grow much more quickly then if you had to find investors and outlets to market/sell your goods.

RCA Dog

Lil-Rokslider
I have the original peak designs clamp\clip system, and I had a bino adapter for my pack shoulder strap. I will tell anyone thinking about using this system, DO NOT clip your binos to the shoulder that you shoot off of. It will not end well. Other than that, it's a great system.

OP
colonel00

colonel00

WKR

JL

That is a good point. If I had a small business this is the direct I would take it, it gets your brand in front of a large crowd and hopefully provides interest free capital. Succeed at this a few times and watch your business grow much more quickly then if you had to find investors and outlets to market/sell your goods.

Well, they still pay a percentage to Kickstarter. I'm not hating on it as I would probably do it too if I were in that position.

I have the original peak designs clamp\clip system, and I had a bino adapter for my pack shoulder strap. I will tell anyone thinking about using this system, DO NOT clip your binos to the shoulder that you shoot off of. It will not end well. Other than that, it's a great system.

Ouch. I can only imagine.