Peak Refuel Meals vs Mountain House?

mlgc20

WKR
I stopped using Mountain House a few years ago. So, maybe they’ve improved. But, I can easily get by all season on Peak Refuel and Packit Gourmet. My 70 mile hiking trip next week consists of 4 Packit Gourmet dinners and 3 from Peak Refuel.

OP
tdhanses

tdhanses

WKR
Packit Gourmet shepherds pie is one of my favorites.

Last edited:

Cowbell

WKR
I prefer the peak meals myself but usually carry both to give me more choices.

Bcoonce117

Lil-Rokslider
I have to say the mountain houses are total sodium bombs. Some people don’t react well to this

Peak is wayyy better.

Their breakfast skillet is actually palatable too.

I legitimately could live off of peak beef stroganoff for dinner for a month.

What packit gourmet do you guys recommend to try?

Really liked the peaks over the MH. Big bonus for me is that they use nearly half the water of mountain house. Wasn’t that big on the sweet pork one but the rest have been good. Only MH I’ll still buy is lasagna with meat sauce.

OP
tdhanses

tdhanses

WKR
Peak is wayyy better.

The shepherds pie is my favorite but the few others I’ve tried are good, only downside is cook time. These aren’t quick meals.

I do not think the Peak's are any better than the MH. I actually like the taste of MH more overall. Peak's alfredo and sweet pork are terrible imo. Maybe I am just used to MH, but I think they taste better overall. One plus to the Peak's is they do use less water.

Rob5589

WKR
Peak is much better. Not a fan of the sweet pork and rice, too sweet. The rest are very good, some better than others. Beef pasta marinara and chicken pesto are my two favs.

TA34

FNG
There are certain meals I like in both. I take extra salt and pepper packets with me and it makes them even better.

One big thing I don’t like about Peak is the quantity in each meal. I’d prefer to pay less and have less in the meal. I usually can’t eat it all without making me super full.

Northpark

WKR
Peak is my go to. Really enjoy the chicken pesto and I’ll go the opposite of others and say the sweet pork and rice.

Heathers choice are also great but I use them sparingly due to the price tag.

mlgc20

WKR
Peak is wayyy better.

These are my favorite:
  • Texas Chili
  • All-American Works Burger
  • Fajita Chicken Burrito
  • Diner Sausage Egg Scramble (requires skillet)
  • Tex-Mex Breakfast Tacos (requires skillet)

cmahoney

WKR
I think the peaks are way better. I still use Mountain House and mix them about 50/50 because of the cost. The Costco box mountain house is such a good deal. I picked up some good to go meals this year and they aren’t bad, but not as good as the peaks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

xcutter

WKR
Peak really does taste better on several meals. I still like a few of the Mountain House options though. Specifically the Chili Mac and Blueberry Granola. The only Peak meal I've had and absolutely couldn't even eat it was the Sweet Pork and Rice. Maybe I just got a bad one.

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
probably 10+ years since I've sampled MH- Packitgourmet and Peak are all I use now and starting to lean Peak over Packitgourmet for the calories and protein

one thing concerning Peak, I almost double the water they recommend- it may end up being less water than others, but their recommended water is much too less in my experience (of 50+ meals)- I also wait 15 minutes vs 10 (with a stir or two in between)

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
I think the peaks are way better. I still use Mountain House and mix them about 50/50 because of the cost. The Costco box mountain house is such a good deal. I picked up some good to go meals this year and they aren’t bad, but not as good as the peaks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You like the good to go meals??? I’ve had a few that are so bad that I’m not sure I could eat them even after a long day of wet hunting. The corn chowder and the pad Thai for me are not edible in any way. I have a curry one I havnt tried yet but my confidence is low. I’m counting my lucky stars I decided to try those 2 before this season because I’d be seriously unhappy if I set up camp after a long day in the mountains only to find out how terrible those ones are.