Peak Refuel Meals vs Mountain House?

eddielasvegas

WKR & Chairman of the Rokslide Welcoming Committee
I'll have to try Peak.

Never heard if Packit Gourmet, but after doing a quick search, I'll need to get a second job to pay for a multi-day trip. :ROFLMAO:

Eddie

eddielasvegas

Never get tired of their Texas chili
Yes, that does sound good. MH makes Chili Mac with Beef that is always good IMHO.

That type of meal lends itself to being freeze dried and restored to goodness. The real test is how do they do they for meals that are not FDF (Freeze Dried Friendly)?

Eddie

Yes, that does sound good. MH makes Chili Mac with Beef that is always good IMHO.

That type of meal lends itself to being freeze dried and restored to goodness. The real test is how do they do they for meals that are not FDF (Freeze Dried Friendly)?

Eddie
The Peak chili Mac with beef blows the MH away IMO.
I just got the Peak biscuits and gravy and am contemplating just making it at home to try out. 🤔🤔🤔

eddielasvegas

The Peak chili Mac with beef blows the MH away IMO.
I just got the Peak biscuits and gravy and am contemplating just making it at home to try out. 🤔🤔🤔
That is high praise and has piqued my curiosity for sure.

My son and I have a hunting trip planned for Sept. so I'll buy a couple to try for then.

Thanks,

Eddie

Last edited:

Rob5589

WKR
Anything with beans are a hard no while in a sleeping bag and or close quarters.

That is high praise and has piqued my curiosity for sure.

My son and I have a hunting tri[ planned for Sept. so I'll buy a couple to try for then.

Thanks,

Eddie
Don’t overlook the beef stroganoff or chicken Alfredo from peak either. Both are very good and a staple on trips for me.

BSwartz

FNG
Just switched over to peak this year> MH was good i thought but peak just has more benefits

I just popped on some Next Mile Meals. I was curious, so figured I would give them a whirl here. IMO, each company has good meals and bad meals. While water usage is critical, there is still something said about going to bed having a full stomach and enjoying the meal. I put hot sauce on everything anyways, which makes a difference.

Spoonman

WKR
If you enjoy something similar to the beer shits eat mountain house meals. The cost of Peak , Heather’s choice and a few others are worth it. Also look into making your own meals. Just my experience and opinion.

willidru

WKR
I preferr peak.more calories more protein and less water. Try the limited time Mendes meals,there're amazing.
What Mendes meals did you like? I thought the Elk Ragu was average at best and the bison mashers weren’t edible. I like the regular peak meals. I like the idea of the calories and protein in the Mendes meals, but the ones I tried were worth it. Let me know if you had others that were good

KHNC

WKR
All those people pimping Heathers Choice a few years ago should be ashamed. Either that , or they were really homeless and didnt have a choice.

Seeknelk

WKR
Heathers choice breakfast with a blueberry, quinoa and/or some other wild chit was absolutely horrendous. Had the nastiest , strangest aftertaste that still makes me shudder. And I'm the least picky guy I swear.
Peak Refuel alfredo and chicken pesto and stroganoff are absolutely incredible to me. They only have a 5 year(I think) shelf life, when MH has like a 30 year, so I'd imagine MH has a lot more preservatives. I get along ok with most MH but far prefer peak.

I have completly eliminated any "red" sauce MH meals and only take in MH white sauce chicken meals. Much easier on gut and I can add some xtra dehydrate taters or chicken to add calories and protein. I don't believe that the xtra salt or water should be an issue due to the loss from sweating. You need to replace it one way or another or your body will dehydrate. I buy the 10# cans and quart freezer bag my concoctions. 6oz. servings fills my belly up pretty good. I then only have that small ziploc bag to haul out.