Peak Refuel Meals vs Mountain House?

MT257

WKR
probably 10+ years since I've sampled MH- Packitgourmet and Peak are all I use now and starting to lean Peak over Packitgourmet for the calories and protein

one thing concerning Peak, I almost double the water they recommend- it may end up being less water than others, but their recommended water is much too less in my experience (of 50+ meals)- I also wait 15 minutes vs 10 (with a stir or two in between)
I too let it set longer. I found the breakfast may need even a bit more than 15. I had the breakfast scramble.

Tank9

FNG
Had Peaks for the first time this last season and I won't go back to anything else. The Chicken Alfredo and breakfast scramble are killer and the granola makes for an awesome snack or dessert

Hurley03

FNG
I like most all mountain house meals, Mac and cheese with some added tuna is bad at all

Rob5589

WKR
probably 10+ years since I've sampled MH- Packitgourmet and Peak are all I use now and starting to lean Peak over Packitgourmet for the calories and protein

one thing concerning Peak, I almost double the water they recommend- it may end up being less water than others, but their recommended water is much too less in my experience (of 50+ meals)- I also wait 15 minutes vs 10 (with a stir or two in between)
I add a couple oz of water to the rice meals, the pasta maybe an oz more. Never close to double the water. I too let it steep longer. Comes out better and I don't torch my mouth.

Oregonboy

WKR
I like both. MH beef strongaff is awesome, so is their chicken and dumplings. This year, I bought a box of Peak meals and am excited to try them but I've eaten MH for years without any issues.

In general, I have found that Peak has more calories per pouch and less sodium. Thats a not brainer for me, I like to eat! I think they both taste good.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

the mountain house stroganoff i like a little better than the peak, and breakfast skillet.... besides those 2 (which are close) peak refuel is better all around.... one thing i do know is mountain house chili mac is the devil! after eating it you become possessed, but it's not vomit that comes out.... the problem area is a little south of where the food went in ;) it certainly doesn't help with backcountry hygiene, if you do bring MH chili mac, you better bring extra wet wipes.

i am not a picky eater at all, but i think MH teriyaki chicken is almost inedible, has an aftertaste that is just weird and not food like.

i would love to get a home freeze dryer, but i'm not there yet.... it would be handy, but i think i would get more enjoyment out of some swaro NL pures.... hard to justify a freeze dryer, but i think i will be able to some day

MThuntr

WKR
I've eaten a pile of backpack meals over the years. My preference is still Peak Refuel though I do continue to try others and do give MH a try. I seem to remember liking the MH Biscuits and Gravy though it's been years since I've bought it.

To date Heather's Choice is my absolute least favorite...I couldn't even stomach them though they may have changed their recipe since they have grown to a much larger company.

cmahoney

WKR
You like the good to go meals??? I’ve had a few that are so bad that I’m not sure I could eat them even after a long day of wet hunting. The corn chowder and the pad Thai for me are not edible in any way. I have a curry one I havnt tried yet but my confidence is low. I’m counting my lucky stars I decided to try those 2 before this season because I’d be seriously unhappy if I set up camp after a long day in the mountains only to find out how terrible those ones are.

I’ve had the Cuban rice bowl and the Mexican quinoa one, they were OK. Didn’t spit them out like the Heathers Choice Salmon chowder I made the mistake of bringing on a hunt.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Has anyone try those ready wise meals? I got a killer deal on them, 2-3$ a pack for like 30 of them. I figure if they taste like shit I will just let me kids eat them when we go camping. haha

I preferr peak.more calories more protein and less water. Try the limited time Mendes meals,there're amazing.

Best peak Refuel meal for me is the beef pasta marinara. I look forward to eating my first one each Fall come hunting season.

I've enjoyed the Peaks I've tried - but also like several types of MH. I know it's preference, but the Peak breakfast skillet needed additional salt (which I didn't bring) for my tastes.