Peak refuel

mlgc20

WKR
Not enough calories to split into multiple meals IMO. I add wonton strips and Thai chili sauce to the rice dishes. The added texture and taste really makes them outstanding.

Nillion

Lil-Rokslider
I don't understand splitting a bag. Do you guys really eat only 400-500 calories in a meal? That's nothing after a normal day, let alone a day full of activity.

Rob5589

WKR
Which meals do you recommend? Have you tried there breakfast strawberry granola? Can you recommend any of their breakfasts AND dinners? Thanks
These are the ones I always take, dinners only. Haven't tried the breakfast meals.

Homestyle chicken/rice
Chicken pesto pasta
Chicken teriyaki rice
Beef pasta marinara
Chicken Alfredo pasta

acesand8s

Lil-Rokslider
Which meals do you recommend? Have you tried there breakfast strawberry granola? Can you recommend any of their breakfasts AND dinners? Thanks
Breakfast: The granola is very good. My buddy and I eat it every morning. The breakfast skillet is also, very good. I haven't tried the biscuits and gravy yet, but look forward to trying it.

Dinners:
I like the chicken alfredo, chicken teriyaki, pork teriyaki, and beef pasta marinara.
I have the homestyle chicken, yellow curry, bison/elk meals to try this year.

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
whole bag every time :)

I really haven't had a supper I didn't like- beef stroganoff probably my favorite, followed closely by chicken rice, chicken Alfredo and beef marinara; the elk is good, the bison is OK

xcutter

WKR
How do you guys think peak compares to mt house, better or worse?
I prefer Peak. The flavor of most are really good. Peak also has a lot better nutritional value. I still like to buy a few flavors of the Mtn House's. Biscuits & Gravy, Blueberry Granola and Chili Mac.

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member

I would say not even close, Peak is much better tasting and as pointed out more calories and more protein. It is more expensive, but as my backcountry trips are my main recreation- worth it.

Peak by a landslide and doesn’t give me the “muds” like a MH meal.

I like the chicken Alfredo, chicken pesto and beef stroganoff. I also add red pepper flakes to them.

I also add a little bit more water than the package says. I’ll add the extra water about 15 minutes prior to boiling the rest of the water needed. I find it helps rehydrate the meals better.

The peak breakfasts are nice also especially if you have an ample water supply. The granola is good and the breakfast skillet in a tortilla is awesome.

tdhanses

WKR
First time etong Peak this year, whole bag for sure and i haven’t had anything that isn‘t good, MH isn’t even close in taste.

Moserkr

WKR
I also add a little bit more water than the package says. I’ll add the extra water about 15 minutes prior to boiling the rest of the water needed. I find it helps rehydrate the meals better.

@Cahunter805 Have you (or anyone else) had trouble getting the meat to rehydrate? I had trouble with the biscuits and gravy sausage bits, as well as the chicken in the pesto pasta and the beef stroganoff.

Tried boiling water til it was rolling, more water, and long wait times til it was only luke warm - 30+ min. Was only at 8000’ and it was above freezing out…

Emailed peak and they suggested basically the stuff I tried. Ill try the idea above though. Get it wet and started, wait, then hit it with the rest of the boiling water. Thanks.

@Cahunter805 Have you (or anyone else) had trouble getting the meat to rehydrate? I had trouble with the biscuits and gravy sausage bits, as well as the chicken in the pesto pasta and the beef stroganoff.

Tried boiling water til it was rolling, more water, and long wait times til it was only luke warm - 30+ min. Was only at 8000’ and it was above freezing out…

Emailed peak and they suggested basically the stuff I tried. Ill try the idea above though. Get it wet and started, wait, then hit it with the rest of the boiling water. Thanks.
I have had some bits of beef not fully rehydrate once or twice but since I started pre hydrating them it’s not been an issue. I’ll usually start pre hydrating probably at least 30 minutes or more while I’m getting gear situated or sorted and camp chores done after the evening hunt. I also recommend stirring it a few times while rehydrating.

bricketts

FNG
Thanks for the replies all, I’ll definitely have to give peak a try this season! Red pepper flakes sound like a must to bring along too!