Pecos NM Unit 45 Archery Mule Deer

Myandelta

FNG
Drew my first western tag this year an will be hunting unit 45 New Mexico’s Peco Wilderness early archery Mule deer. Never been out that way, never hunted at such altitude and never hunted mule deer.

I’m not looking for any spots or necessarily any advice, although if you’re comfortable sharing it would be well received. I’m just super excited to visit what looks to be some beautiful country and spend 6 or 7 days deep in the wilderness with my son, hopefully see some deer and if luck is on our side, bring home some meat.

I would love to hear others share their experience, and stories of this area as I continue to really look forward to the adventure.

HaydenB

Lil-Rokslider
Big fire over there right now. Good luck with the tag. I hope it all goes good.

OP
M

Myandelta

FNG
I saw that. Fingers crossed they’re able to get it under control. Prayers to those working to contain those fires.

Jlop_2

Lil-Rokslider
Drew my first western tag this year an will be hunting unit 45 New Mexico’s Peco Wilderness early archery Mule deer. Never been out that way, never hunted at such altitude and never hunted mule deer.

I’m not looking for any spots or necessarily any advice, although if you’re comfortable sharing it would be well received. I’m just super excited to visit what looks to be some beautiful country and spend 6 or 7 days deep in the wilderness with my son, hopefully see some deer and if luck is on our side, bring home some meat.

I would love to hear others share their experience, and stories of this area as I continue to really look forward to the adventure.
Unit 45 is my backyard essentially, hunted it many times. I drew the same unit for muzzeloader deer this year. Be prepared for the high elevation and some pretty steep terrain. Unit 45 holds some pretty nice deer though and a decent population. You can hunt not far off the roads or go full backcountry camp on your back style of hunting. Beautiful country, and if you put in some miles you’ll be sure to come across some deer. Good luck! 👍🏼

Last edited:
OP
M

Myandelta

FNG
Unit 45 is my backyard essentially, hunted it many times. I drew the same unit for muzzeloader deer this year. Be prepared for the high elevation and some pretty steep terrain. Unit 45 holds some pretty nice deer though and a decent population. You can hunt not far off the roads or go full backcountry camp on your back style of hunting. Beautiful country, and if you put in some miles you’ll be sure to come across some deer. Good luck! 👍🏼

Thank you! I’m planning on getting deep into the Pecos for about a week. Any legal buck would be an amazing accomplishment for me. Not looking for anything considered trophy. Really can’t wait. Good luck on your muzzleloader!

Myandelta,

I'm in the same boat, but I drew first rifle season. I went to college at UNM and lived in NM for about 7 years. I know the Pecos Wilderness very well, but never hunted.

I've done a ton of e-scouting and I have a boots-on-the-ground scouting trip early July.

If you're up, I'd be interested in trading information. I'm new to this forum so I'm not sure if I can get a PM or not. Let me know if you're interested in talking and we'll figure out how to get in touch.

Best of luck!

OP
M

Myandelta

FNG
Myandelta,

I'm in the same boat, but I drew first rifle season. I went to college at UNM and lived in NM for about 7 years. I know the Pecos Wilderness very well, but never hunted.

I've done a ton of e-scouting and I have a boots-on-the-ground scouting trip early July.

If you're up, I'd be interested in trading information. I'm new to this forum so I'm not sure if I can get a PM or not. Let me know if you're interested in talking and we'll figure out how to get in touch.

Best of luck!
Sounds great and I’m not sure if/how to send a PM either lol. Have you been tracking the wildfires running right up the Eastern side of the unit? Praying they get that under control. I can’t imagine the devastation they’re inflicting on the local residents.

dtrkyman

WKR
Lot of deer up there compared to many NM. units. That fire is gigantic and not sure there is any relief in sight.

Hopefully you don't get burned out literally!

Sounds great and I’m not sure if/how to send a PM either lol. Have you been tracking the wildfires running right up the Eastern side of the unit? Praying they get that under control. I can’t imagine the devastation they’re inflicting on the local residents.
MyandDelta, I drew the archery tag for this unit as well! I've got some spots picked out but was planning an early trip in July to scout also. Maybe even get over there in June if the fire is under control...

I am happy to share what I've heard if you want to connect.

OP
M

Myandelta

FNG
MyandDelta, I drew the archery tag for this unit as well! I've got some spots picked out but was planning an early trip in July to scout also. Maybe even get over there in June if the fire is under control...

Sounds great! Are you able to PM? Being a Newbie I don't think I have the option.

Drew my first western tag this year an will be hunting unit 45 New Mexico’s Peco Wilderness early archery Mule deer.
I'd be interested to learn how your hunts went...in particular about the hike-in and how you both handled the terrain and amount of cover. Any success?

Latest posts

Featured Video

Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
ckaz34