Pedal Kayak for fishing

NCSU_Lewis

Lil-Rokslider
Anyone on here have recommendations on a fishing kayak that is pedal drive? I used a family member's Hobie over the weekend, but it was a base model and didn't feel stable enough to stand. Obviously a Hobie pro angler would be awesome, but dang they are proud of them. Would prefer one short enough to put in a regular bed truck with an extender over a trailer. Stable enough to stand would be a large plus. Thanks!

GPool1842

WKR
Anyone on here have recommendations on a fishing kayak that is pedal drive? I used a family member's Hobie over the weekend, but it was a base model and didn't feel stable enough to stand. Obviously a Hobie pro angler would be awesome, but dang they are proud of them. Would prefer one short enough to put in a regular bed truck with an extender over a trailer. Stable enough to stand would be a large plus. Thanks!

You should be able to get a hobie 12 footer in a standard truck bed if you can lift an end of it. I’ve got a Jackson Cuda HD that fits in my 150 just fine, and I turn it at an angle. Think it’s 12’ 10” or close to that. I can load and unload myself.

Got a couple things working against you if you don’t want a trailer but you want to stand... the heavier the more stable and the longer the more stable.
I haven’t been in a Hobie, but I did find with mine that the more I used it, the more stable it seemed to get. Just getting comfortable with it by using it more will seem like it’s more stable. Check the width on them, every inch matters..

Check out the Jackson Coosa HD FD and the Jackson Big Rig HD FD, both pedal drive. Native and Old Town are other well known brands. Bonafide is a newer brand out there. Vibe brand has a cool new Shearwater 125 that you can put a pedal drive in I believe.

Let us know what you end up with!

Bassman

Lil-Rokslider
Can you tell us a little about the type of fishing you intend to do? Lakes, rivers, inshore, offshore, etc?

I'm a big fan of the Hobie pro angler series, it is a bass fishing machine. I've used it mainly in lakes and some inshore fishing for striper/flounder. I always prefer to stand when fishing since I rarely use live bait and am always casting, I've never been concerned with stability. I've always wanted to take it offshore but the thought of having to paddle that monster of a kayak 5 miles in a SHTF scenario (mirage drive failing) prevents me from doing anything crazy far.

I'm with you on the trailer being a pain, I always toss it in the back of my truck but I wouldn't worry about length if you have an extender. Just realize you will eat a considerable amount of bed space. This past weekend I traveled with a Hobie PA12 in the back of my Colorado (5'2" bed) with an extender, zero issues during the 3 hour drive.

If you are mostly doing lake/river fishing the Pro Angler is superior IMO. It's built like a tank and super stable, but you pay for that in weight (+120lbs fully rigged). If you mostly intend to fish inshore or offshore, check out the Outback or Revo series. I've had no experience with other peddle drives other than Hobie.

Feel free Lure 11.5 with pedal drive...and you get a wheel in keel so you dont have to drag it to the water....I have a 10' w/o pedals and I have no issues standing up in it..I am 6'3" 190#

rustyN

Lil-Rokslider
I wouldn't write off standing in a Hobie that isn't the pro angler, it takes a while to get used to standing and fishing from any kayak, PA's just make it so much easier.

I fish in a Bass Pro Ascend 12T and at 6'2" 265 I don't have an issue now that I am used to it. I don't have a lot of experience with pedal kayaks, but I don't think I would bother with anything other than a Hobie.

I put a 12' nucanoe frontier in my 6' truck bed. With the tailgate down, 3-4' stick out. It's plenty stable to stand and they sell a pedal kit. I don't like the looks of their pedal system though and haven't tried it. Weighing about 100lb and 42" wide it's a bit of a bear to load so I'm keeping an eye out for a trailer.

OP
N

NCSU_Lewis

Lil-Rokslider
Can you tell us a little about the type of fishing you intend to do? Lakes, rivers, inshore, offshore, etc?

I'm a big fan of the Hobie pro angler series, it is a bass fishing machine. I've used it mainly in lakes and some inshore fishing for striper/flounder. I always prefer to stand when fishing since I rarely use live bait and am always casting, I've never been concerned with stability. I've always wanted to take it offshore but the thought of having to paddle that monster of a kayak 5 miles in a SHTF scenario (mirage drive failing) prevents me from doing anything crazy far.

I'm with you on the trailer being a pain, I always toss it in the back of my truck but I wouldn't worry about length if you have an extender. Just realize you will eat a considerable amount of bed space. This past weekend I traveled with a Hobie PA12 in the back of my Colorado (5'2" bed) with an extender, zero issues during the 3 hour drive.

If you are mostly doing lake/river fishing the Pro Angler is superior IMO. It's built like a tank and super stable, but you pay for that in weight (+120lbs fully rigged). If you mostly intend to fish inshore or offshore, check out the Outback or Revo series. I've had no experience with other peddle drives other than Hobie.

I am in Michigan right now and it will primarily be for lakes, but possibly some river fishing thrown in. Outside chance of a great lakes trip, but not likely. I am from NC and decent chance I'll be back one day. If I do, then inshore/ nearshore saltwater would be in the cards for sure.

I like casting for bass and fly fishing warm water, but also like the possibilities of trolling a few rods for walleye/ pike.

Thanks everyone for the replies thus far! Keep em coming

I second the Feel Free Lure. Fished a friend's setup and was very impressed.

I've had a perception pescador pro (not pilot) and really liked it. Never any issues with stability. The pilot version has the pedal drive, I would imagine it would work well. I now have a perception pescador that I modified and added a trolling motor attachment point. I have a habit of tinkering with crap that doesn't need tinkering.

Jimss

WKR
I've been using and abusing a Hobie Pro Angler for years. Loved it when I got it and still love it 8 years later! I put the hitch extender on my truck and have taken it on 4 trips from Colo 18 hours each way to Lake Michigan. I stand up and cast flyrod and spinning gear for hours and hours....no problem even in choppy water. The PA is made for ocean fishing and is almost impossible to capsize. I learned how to turn it back over in the summer just in case that happens. I've had it for 8 years and never come close to rolling it over while sitting or standing. I have enough faith in mine that I've had it on L Michigan several times in November....no worries!

The force fins on the PA are pretty tough to beat. I can really cover the water. It's definitely a work out sometimes fighting the wind though. They make a alittle short PA but I like the room on the 14. I actually stand up on the back and have many times had 2 fisherman on board.

The PA has been out for years. If you keep an eye on Craigslist you might find a used one for a chunk less cash. Quite a few Hobbie dealers sell their demo kayaks at the end of the season. I got around $400 off mine and it had only been taken out a couple times.

If you have any specific questions about Hobie or PA's let me know. They are super dependable, stable, and a lot of fun! The only way I'll get rid of mine is if I ever upgrade to a bass boat!

dpat

FNG
I'm waiting for the Kaku Zulu to get back in stock they sold out. I've been on one and loved it! Great seat like the peddle drive easy to stand on and you can even stand on the seat for added visibility when casting and its super stable standing. Check out their website. $2,000 with the peddle drive

I just bought the hobie outback a few months ago. First kayak I’ve ever owned and I’ve gotta say I’m impressed. Stable enough for me to fly fish from Standing up and not so terribly heavy that I can’t load myself. Up here in the pnw I would say that the outback or revo seem to be the yak of choice for peddling. I put it on top of my car but a lot of folks put them in there truck bed with a bed extender.

Not saying people don’t use other brands or models here just seems like a majority seem to be those 2 models. Another model to look at would be the compass.

I’ve got an old towne predator and love it. My brother has the Topwater PDL and I think it is even more stable.

OP
N

NCSU_Lewis

Lil-Rokslider
I’ve got an old towne predator and love it. My brother has the Topwater PDL and I think it is even more stable.
Think I'm going to look at a used predator tomorrow. Glad to hear they are solid boats. Anything you don't like about it? I'm a little nervous of the drive that doesn't move if you hit something

The latch is the weakest point and is made to break before it damages anything else. Replacement latches are like $5. I am pretty happy with it over all. The hobie 360 pedal system would be nice because sometimes it is a pain to really fine tune your position but overall it’s a great yak.

I may be partial owning a Hobie Pro angler, but they are always what every other pedal kayak is measured against. I also own a Hobie Compass and have spent some time in the current model of the Outback. They are all three excellent in their own right, it just depends what kind of fishing you are going to do and what kind of water. The pro angler shines in large deep rough water, but is super heavy to get to and from the water. The compass is a great price point, but my two main gripes are the seat hurts my back and there is no steering on the right hand side, although it is still very stable to stand and fish. The outback seems to be the happy medium and probably what I will get next if I ever do get another one, it is the best of both worlds between the PA and the compass IMO.

OP
N

NCSU_Lewis

Lil-Rokslider
I may be partial owning a Hobie Pro angler, but they are always what every other pedal kayak is measured against. I also own a Hobie Compass and have spent some time in the current model of the Outback. They are all three excellent in their own right, it just depends what kind of fishing you are going to do and what kind of water. The pro angler shines in large deep rough water, but is super heavy to get to and from the water. The compass is a great price point, but my two main gripes are the seat hurts my back and there is no steering on the right hand side, although it is still very stable to stand and fish. The outback seems to be the happy medium and probably what I will get next if I ever do get another one, it is the best of both worlds between the PA and the compass IMO.
Thanks! I may go look at a used 2017 Outback tomorrow. Already rigged up with a Lowrance elite Ti2, nice rod holders, and a couple carts. Pretty good deal for a nice yak with lots of extras.

Thanks! I may go look at a used 2017 Outback tomorrow. Already rigged up with a Lowrance elite Ti2, nice rod holders, and a couple carts. Pretty good deal for a nice yak with lots of extras.
I haven't ever been in that style hull, only the new 2019 but I think they are still an awesome yak. I have known several guys that had them and were very happy with them. The biggest notable upgrades to get if it doesn't have it already is the rectangle hatch and the sailing rudder. You will be happy with the elite Ti2, I have the original elite Ti.

OP
N

NCSU_Lewis

Lil-Rokslider
I haven't ever been in that style hull, only the new 2019 but I think they are still an awesome yak. I have known several guys that had them and were very happy with them. The biggest notable upgrades to get if it doesn't have it already is the rectangle hatch and the sailing rudder. You will be happy with the elite Ti2, I have the original elite Ti.

Luckily it already has the square hatch. I'll look into the sailing rudder as well. Boat was in great shape and sounds like I'm headed back Saturday to pick it up!

FlyGuy

WKR
I fit a 12’ hobie PA in my truck bed without an extender. Works great. VERY stable fishing platform. I’ve had it in 8’ swells (I don’t recommend that, but it handled it just fine). I bought mine used from a guy on Craig’s who bought it marked down as a demo from a yak store. 2013 model I think. Point is they are tough as nails as it has served me extremely well for 5-6 years now. It’s heavy, probably it’s only downside. But it’s a great platform. If I were to do it again I would hold out for one in an earth tone color. The mango yellow makes it impossible to duck hunt from

You can’t cheat the mountain