Pedro the Llama

OP
H

hobbes

WKR
It'll still be a couple years for Pedro. I'm not sure I'll get there with Momma. She can be a real pain in the......I do know she is a champion dewormer spitter.

6VngaQ.jpg

x9PuoK.jpg

weatherbow21

Lil-Rokslider
Anything new? I've recently picked up two young males. We have a lot to learn, me more than them I think. Our current struggle is catching them. Its not impossible especially with the youngest one (they are 10 months and 6 months) but the older one is pretty skiddish. I can catch him, but I fear I'm not creating a whole lot of trust with him as he really doesn't want to be caught.

Bflores

Lil-Rokslider
Have you tried shaking a grain can at them ? giving them a handful when you go out there just to check on them then transitioning into catching them ? they will associate it with food and it also would be helpful if one ever gets loose in the open. it works with my horses and my one llama

OP
H

hobbes

WKR
Other than Pedro getting a little bigger, there isn't much to report. When I first got them I purchased a video (I don't recall name) where a woman shows her method for catching and haltering llamas. I usually cheat by using feed and trapping them in a 10 x 10 enclosure. Pedro doesn't mind, but Momma does. I'm constantly on the lookout for another young one. I think that is where to start.

weatherbow21

Lil-Rokslider
One of mine is 6 months and the other one about 11 months. The younger one really is a lot easier, not only to handle because he's so small but he's just less jumpy. We had a good weekend though I was able to halter them several times and have got to where I'm only graining them after catching them. I should try the shaking the grain trick I think thats a good idea. I have more to learn than the llamas do

OP
H

hobbes

WKR
Trimmed Pedro's toes today on the back patio. My granddaughter likes to pet him. He wasn't sure about the attention while I worked on his back toes.

3DcBkV.jpg

nRbnCj.jpg

uFjelO.jpg

OP
H

hobbes

WKR
I've had some updates on my llama mutts on my 2020 Montana live thread but not posted up anything here in a while.

Pedro has been loaded a few times now in an old horse trailer that I bought from a coworker. One of those times included a trip to the vet in October for nut and fighting teeth trimming. I don't think he appreciated it but he survived.

Pedro will be three and a half next September so I'm planning to pack with him some this summer starting very light. Here's to hoping he works out.
IMG_20201022_171235270.jpg

IMG_20201022_171233066.jpg
He now has a brother Marco that was born in the end of August on an unusually cold and windy August day. I was worried he'd freeze but a good towel drying and he was up nursing before too long and Momma (Tina) has done a good job taking care of him. My plan is to get rid of Momma once Marco is weaned. She could probably be trained by someone with more patience and skill than me but I don't like the rodeo and my plan was for Pedro to work out with Momma being a maybe.

Here is Marco back in October:
IMG_20201003_152150423.jpg

IMG_20200916_184252581.jpg

IMG_20200916_184306207.jpg

Here he is looking wooly and dirty a week ago:
IMG_20210108_114449124.jpg

OP
H

hobbes

WKR
Thanks for the updates. Always fun to learn about something new to me
It's all new to me also. I've been feeding him for going on 3 years so that's not new, but I'm still a rookie. I didn't know what to do for the cria so lucky that Momma did. I worried about him for several days until the weather got better and he was getting around better.

Ucsdryder

WKR
Hobbes, sounds like a fun adventure. When you get really annoyed by them just remember you could have probably rented llamas for 10 hunting season for the money you have in them already! 🤣😂

OP
H

hobbes

WKR
Hobbes, sounds like a fun adventure. When you get really annoyed by them just remember you could have probably rented llamas for 10 hunting season for the money you have in them already! 🤣😂
That's no joke. I need to buy hay now.
I probably should have bought a single solid horse and called it good. Although, a llama rodeo isn't quite as dangerous as a horse rodeo.

OP
H

hobbes

WKR
Pedro is usually pretty curious about what I'm doing. He usually stands and watches my granddaughter on the trampoline.

IMG_20210306_171044783_BURST000_COVER_TOP.jpg

OP
H

hobbes

WKR
A little shearing by some folks that are a heck of a lot more proficient than I am. This included some pedicures for both and a little dental work for Pedro. They look anorexic now.
IMG_20210607_072434159_HDR.jpg

OP
H

hobbes

WKR
We took Pedro on his first hike today. He wore a pack saddle but no paniers. He did good. He had never crossed water before so was a little hesitant but at the end I walked him into the creek to let him see that it wouldn't bite him. We only did a 1 hour round trip to start him slow.

Pedro had a close shear a month or so ago, so he went from looking fat to skinny pretty quick.

You can see the photos on page 9 of this thread:

View attachment 305712

View attachment 305713

View attachment 305714

View attachment 305715

View attachment 305718

View attachment 305716

View attachment 305717

bisblue

WKR
Is funny how tiny they are under that wool! I've trained a few Craigslist llamas now, they always learn quick if they have the temperament for it.

OP
H

hobbes

WKR
Is funny how tiny they are under that wool! I've trained a few Craigslist llamas now, they always learn quick if they have the temperament for it.
I bought Pedro young along with his mom. I've not been very successful with his momma. She's hell to catch and raises hell when I do catch her. I'm planning to send her on her way. The guys that sheered them took control of her with no problems but I had already caught her and tied her up.