Pedro the Llama

OP
H

hobbes

WKR
Any updates

I've had a couple setbacks. My lean to type 10x10 shed was flipped onto its roof a few weeks ago by high winds. It flattened the fence behind it but luckily the llamas weren't in the way. It was heck to get it back over and I snapped the top beam when I finally got it tipped back. Also, my septic field has failed and I've been working with the county to get approval to spend a bunch of money (basically going to bury the funds that I planned to use for a new to me used truck in my backyard).

I've been out of town a lot the last two and so half weeks for work. So not a lot done besides continuing to halter and desensitize them when I can. Buying a saddle soon (dang they cost too much) to begin that and will attempt sheering soon.

I'll repair the cross fence and shed soon also.

squirrel

WKR
It has been a bit "breezy" this spring! I just had dental day yesterday between snow storms, no fun was had by anyone, but especially the 3 year olds. They are planning my demise even now I fear.

Tack purchase sucks, which system are you looking at getting? I may have some help for you there.
corralcreek llamas.com

I need for all my stuff to be identical so people only ;learn one system, even that is too much for some ;)

I used t-posts pounded into the ground at each corner to anchor my 3-sided shelter to the ground. So far so good through some significant wind storms.

As for tack. If you are handy at all you could build saddles. I found a lot of good information in the archives linked below:

http://www.packanimalmagazine.com/read

I can't remember which issues had the saddle information. They talked about bearing surface area, fit, shape, etc.

I over built mine and am planning to trim them down to save weight but they fit well and no complaints from my llamas. For panniers I have used Army surplus duffel bags with minor alterations to make them ride better. I did purchase pads, and chest and breeching straps from Sopris.

I maybe spent $300 total on materials to build 3 saddles. And another $100 on army surplus bags.

OP
H

hobbes

WKR
It has been a bit "breezy" this spring! I just had dental day yesterday between snow storms, no fun was had by anyone, but especially the 3 year olds. They are planning my demise even now I fear.

Tack purchase sucks, which system are you looking at getting? I may have some help for you there.
corralcreek llamas.com

I need for all my stuff to be identical so people only ;learn one system, even that is too much for some ;)

I've not decided. I like the sawbuck style with panniers for each side and not the all in one that I've seen.

gwl79902

WKR
We. Are moving out of town to 10 acres with 2.5 of irrigation. In the search for llamas now but not finding much. Going to busy week we movin in on friday. I hate moving!!!!!!

OP
H

hobbes

WKR
I tried my hand at shearing Tina today. I don't think she's ever been sheared. I didn't want to fork over the cash for electric shears, so I bought a pair of shears from Murdoch's. I'm not convinced that the quality is very good but they worked. I wasnt going for a professional look (good thing) and only trimmed her sides from shoulder to rump. It went better than I expected.

My wife is giving the wool to a lady that she knows that takes it from it's raw state and turns it into clothing.

Pedro will be next.
aqS40Q.jpg

She's still shaggy, but I removed a 4" layer from her body.
UDSG6V.jpg

sgnading

FNG
Are you still happy you got them? I've been debating buying one or two next year since I'll likely be making trips out for elk hunting either by myself or with just one other guy. Are they much trouble since you got them after they were older, or do you think that really even matters if you get them young or not?

OP
H

hobbes

WKR
Are you still happy you got them? I've been debating buying one or two next year since I'll likely be making trips out for elk hunting either by myself or with just one other guy. Are they much trouble since you got them after they were older, or do you think that really even matters if you get them young or not?
I'm still happy that I have them.

As far as young vs old. Pedro, the young one is much easier to deal with. Tina would prefer that I leave her alone. Pedro won't pack for another 2 years because if his age. Maturity wise, Tina can pack this year but needs more work than I've had a chance to do. She could well turn out to be a slug considering they aren't out of pack stock.

Things to consider: Saddles and panniers aren't cheap and used ones are hard to come by. You need some way to haul them. You'll find all kinds of info on how easy they are to transport, but do you really want to cram them in the bed of your pickup as a permanent solution. My pickup is a Tacoma, so two llamas aren't fitting.

squirrel

WKR
If you train a few old ones and a couple young ones you will never want to train an old one again. (to me old is over 6-8 yrs)

Hobbes you might be surprised how many will fit in a truck bed. I can put 4 in an 8' bed for short trips, 3 if it is a many hour ride so they can move around and stretch. And you may want to re-think shearing that lil guy till at least next spring.

It is shearing week here (and hoof week) with our winter in may this year it is really a screwed up time to do it. You may want to just go with a big cheap pair of scissors and wear a blister glove. I went the other ways and it just is easier to buy a $5 scissors and toss after shearing week is over

And DO NOT use your wifes good scissors, I know this now. And never toss the wool, it lasts forever burn immediately.

OP
H

hobbes

WKR
If you train a few old ones and a couple young ones you will never want to train an old one again. (to me old is over 6-8 yrs)

Hobbes you might be surprised how many will fit in a truck bed. I can put 4 in an 8' bed for short trips, 3 if it is a many hour ride so they can move around and stretch. And you may want to re-think shearing that lil guy till at least next spring.

It is shearing week here (and hoof week) with our winter in may this year it is really a screwed up time to do it. You may want to just go with a big cheap pair of scissors and wear a blister glove. I went the other ways and it just is easier to buy a $5 scissors and toss after shearing week is over

And DO NOT use your wifes good scissors, I know this now. And never toss the wool, it lasts forever burn immediately.

We rented in CO in 2002 and was able to put 4 llamas in an 8' bed. The problem would have been where does gear go if the bed is full of llama. However, we also had a second truck and a trailer. For me alone, I could easily get gear and llamas in a full size truck. My problem now is I'm driving a 2006 Tacoma with a 54" bed. I've loved the truck for driving the mountains, but hauling llamas or bird dogs around takes up a lot of space. I'd like to bump to a full-size but something always gets in the way ( thus year it's a failed septic field that requires an expensive replacement)

I'll keep the scissors in mind. I wasn't impressed with the shears. I think your advice to hold off on shearing Pedro is good advice.

OP
H

hobbes

WKR
I bought some used packing equipment, an original Sopris pack sadle, some homemade sawbucks, two sets of paniers, and some other assorted items. Considering how difficult used stuff is to come by, I felt fortunate to get my hands on it.

While Pedro is too young to carry anything significant, he had his first experience with having a saddle on today. He was a little jumpy, but he did good. I didn't torque down on the straps, but he was wearing it.

Momma wanted no part of it but she'll get her turn.

yAa5Be.jpg

DX70jw.jpg

tVTgWz.jpg

Last edited:

squirrel

WKR
We rented in CO in 2002 and was able to put 4 llamas in an 8' bed. The problem would have been where does gear go if the bed is full of llama. However, we also had a second truck and a trailer. For me alone, I could easily get gear and llamas in a full size truck. My problem now is I'm driving a 2006 Tacoma with a 54" bed. I've loved the truck for driving the mountains, but hauling llamas or bird dogs around takes up a lot of space. I'd like to bump to a full-size but something always gets in the way ( thus year it's a failed septic field that requires an expensive replacement)

I'll keep the scissors in mind. I wasn't impressed with the shears. I think your advice to hold off on shearing Pedro is good advice.
If you have a tall rack, (and you should) put heavy gauge wire hooks from the top rail, hang your gear on the INSIDE of the rack but up high where it does not interfere with the bodies of the stock nor does it get stomped and pissed on. Or you can make an over cab rack for gear but it isnt as easy.

BCSojourner

Lil-Rokslider
Keep your eyes open for a used 8-10 ft utility trailer (your Taco would easily handle it), and add some sides to it (scrap lumber or plywood). That's how I got started and hauled 2-3 llamas that way for years. Could also get it back in some pretty gnarly places. Still using it but more as a utility trailer now. Having the trailer allowed me the needed room to put loaded panniers and saddles in the truck bed.

OP
H

hobbes

WKR
Thanks for the ideas guys. I rented a utility trailer with 4' sides and quickly added wooden rails around it when I picked them up and brought them home. It worked good. I suspect there were more than a few chuckles at two llama heads sticking up from the trailer. :)

I did just find out that a friend has an old two horse trailer in relatively good shape that he'll sell me for a good price.

gwl79902

WKR
So is it best to transport the llamas in a single or double axel trailer. It seems that single axel trailers do not ride as smooth.

BCSojourner

Lil-Rokslider
I hauled mine in a single-axle utility trailer for years. Put some indoor/outdoor carpet in it and they were fine, although I was not hauling them great distances. You just want to be careful not to put anything in an open trailer that could blow around and get in their faces. I put down hay now in an enclosed trailer and it also encourages them to kush (lay down) when traveling.

squirrel

WKR
It's kinda like what is the best boat question... any boat owned by someone else. Free trailers are good trailers, but I would never buy a single axle as it would just be the segway trailer to buying that which you wanted to begin with. Now if you already owned one or could borrow one then it would be perfectly fine. Horse trailers are worth so much used it makes no sense to me to do other than buy new.

5x12 to about 6x14 are really great size llama trailers IMO double axle of course stock configuration.

BCSojourner

Lil-Rokslider
I bought some used packing equipment, an original Sopris pack sadle, some homemade sawbucks, two sets of paniers, and some other assorted items. Considering how difficult used stuff is to come by, I felt fortunate to get my hands on it.

While Pedro is too young to carry anything significant, he had his first experience with having a saddle on today. He was a little jumpy, but he did good. I didn't torque down on the straps, but he was wearing it.

Momma wanted no part of it but she'll get her turn.

yAa5Be.jpg

DX70jw.jpg

tVTgWz.jpg
Nice looking saddle - I had one of these from Sopris - they are a classic and no longer made so hang onto it!

BCSojourner

Lil-Rokslider
Another advantage of the single axle utility-type trailer is that you can get it back on some pretty gnarly primitive roads that you could never negotiate with a horse trailer (I've done it). If it is all you can afford or have access to, it is excellent way to start with a couple of llamas. If you move up to a horse trailer, you can still use the utility trailer for all kinds of other hauling work.

EastMont

FNG
Another advantage of the single axle utility-type trailer is that you can get it back on some pretty gnarly primitive roads that you could never negotiate with a horse trailer (I've done it). If it is all you can afford or have access to, it is excellent way to start with a couple of llamas. If you move up to a horse trailer, you can still use the utility trailer for all kinds of other hauling work.

I would be warry of a single axel trailer. Think of being on the interstate in the summer, having a blow out and having to jack the trailer up on 100degree asphault while you animal cooks. And jacking up all that shifting wobbly weight.

A used two horse trailer can be found for just above $2,000. Redo the bearings for $150 and $500 in 10 ply tires and you ready for about any road.

Buy nice, not twice.