Peep questions

stephane110

Lil-Rokslider
Anyone have experience hunting with the Hamskea raptor peep? It looks interesting but I’ve heard that it might be bad for low light conditions? Anyone have real hunting experience with it at last or first light?

Second question, what size peep do you run with your black gold ascents? I’ve got the S&S built sight with the dovetail mount, right now using a 3/16 peep, it’s okay but wonder if I should go smaller?

Zac

WKR
I've hunted in low light and never noticed it being an issue. I wouldn't go smaller than 3/16 for hunting.

I have 3 BG sights (2 mountain lites and a pure 75 adrenaline with 4” truss rod dovetail) all with the big dog housing. I use 7/32 rad peeps. All 3 sights are as close to the riser as they’ll go. Closer you bring the sight to the riser, tighter your pin gaps get as well. The ML3 bases on the mountain lites are shorter, but the dovetail on the closest to the riser setting is about the same as the ML3.

if I were using the standard size housing, 3/16 is as small as I’d go.

I have no experience with the raptor peep, but lowlight, going smaller isn’t going to help no matter what peep you use. Maybe bring the sight in closer to the riser to match the peep better. 1/8 imo just isn’t ideal for hunting. 3D, sure. That said, there are some people out there shooting 1/8 or smaller hunting peeps. it’s ultimately a personal preference thing. might have to just try it and see. But 9 times out of 10 the 3/16 is as small as you’d want to go.

Anyone have experience hunting with the Hamskea raptor peep? It looks interesting but I’ve heard that it might be bad for low light conditions? Anyone have real hunting experience with it at last or first light?

Second question, what size peep do you run with your black gold ascents? I’ve got the S&S built sight with the dovetail mount, right now using a 3/16 peep, it’s okay but wonder if I should go smaller?
No issues here. Shoot with both eyes open and you won’t have low light issues with most any peep for hunting.

Reactions: ZDR
I cant tell the diff between the raptor or any other in low light, its the size that counts. I run 7/32 as well for hunting but with the total peep for hunting and target so if it rotates a little im still good. Its just as good at cutting glare as the Raptor is to me. Like Boot said above just play with the sight distance. to match it up better. Having the sight up close is where i like it for hunting anyway for me, target is another thing.

406unltd

WKR
I prefer 1/4 then adjust sight in or out to accommodate peep. Look into the Total Peep if you are at all curious. I’ve really gained a lot of appreciation for mine shooting into the sun taking the glare out completely and makes slight peep twist a non issue. I will continue to use it unless something better comes along.

OP
S

stephane110

Lil-Rokslider
I’m really surprised to see a lot of you are running peeps larger than 3/16. I was just looking at my bow and with the 3/16 peep and my sight on the closest dovetail setting to the riser that it’ll go to, there’s quite a bit of space between the peep ring and sight ring at full draw. I am in my garage so maybe it would be different in full sunlight?

I’m really surprised to see a lot of you are running peeps larger than 3/16. I was just looking at my bow and with the 3/16 peep and my sight on the closest dovetail setting to the riser that it’ll go to, there’s quite a bit of space between the peep ring and sight ring at full draw. I am in my garage so maybe it would be different in full sunlight?
It mainly depends on what sight you are running. I have some sights that are 1 3/8" and some that are as big as 2". The distance of your eye to the peep can also change things a bit also.

What’s your draw length and ATA of your bow?

Ive found over time that I prefer a peep that is slightly larger than my sight housing ring. The sight ring will “burst” a bit in sunlight which could fill up the peep but I feel like I’m more accurate with some space around the ring. If you shoot enough you almost instinctively know how much space should be around the sight ring. It’s not a lot a lot of space (I’m talking just barely), but enough that you know you’re fully centered. Same deal there, personal preference. Sometimes you have to trial and error everything to know what works best for you.

I also shoot both eyes open, which I think besides grip pressure and consistent anchor, is the most important thing you can train yourself on as an archer.

One thing you can also try is the truglo versa peep where you can change inserts to try different sizes from 1/8 to 1/4". Its like $18 i think on amazon.

OP
S

stephane110

Lil-Rokslider
What’s your draw length and ATA of your bow?

Ive found over time that I prefer a peep that is slightly larger than my sight housing ring. The sight ring will “burst” a bit in sunlight which could fill up the peep but I feel like I’m more accurate with some space around the ring. If you shoot enough you almost instinctively know how much space should be around the sight ring. It’s not a lot a lot of space (I’m talking just barely), but enough that you know you’re fully centered. Same deal there, personal preference. Sometimes you have to trial and error everything to know what works best for you.

I also shoot both eyes open, which I think besides grip pressure and consistent anchor, is the most important thing you can train yourself on as an archer.
It’s a carbon icon, ATA is 31. And my draw length is 28.5. I’m right handed but left eye dominant, I bought the left handed bow so I can shoot both eyes open. Still training myself to do it because my instincts is to close my right eye lol

It’s a carbon icon, ATA is 31. And my draw length is 28.5. I’m right handed but left eye dominant, I bought the left handed bow so I can shoot both eyes open. Still training myself to do it because my instincts is to close my right eye lol

It’ll be worth it after you’ve put in the struggle. Once you’ve got it down, close the other eye and you’ll see how absurdly limiting it is to shoot one eye open. Good luck figuring it all out. Enjoy the process.

I used the hamskea that was before the raptor and didn’t like them much, just too sensitive to fraction of a turn causing left right issues. Total peep as mentioned above has been fantastic for the past 2-3 years now. I think 3. All the benefits of the Hamskea but it performs better and isn’t sensitive to a slight turn. I use a 1/4” with MBG big dog housing on my main hunting bow and 3/16” with MBG standard housing on my backup/high poundage bow.

OP
S

stephane110

Lil-Rokslider
I used the hamskea that was before the raptor and didn’t like them much, just too sensitive to fraction of a turn causing left right issues. Total peep as mentioned above has been fantastic for the past 2-3 years now. I think 3. All the benefits of the Hamskea but it performs better and isn’t sensitive to a slight turn. I use a 1/4” with MBG big dog housing on my main hunting bow and 3/16” with MBG standard housing on my backup/high poundage bow.
Any issues in low light conditions?

No none, I size them so I have no gap around the sight ring or can barely see the inside edge in bright direct light then at low light align with the outside of sight ring or have a small gap.

N2TRKYS

WKR
Folks tell me

I like a big peep sight for low light shooting. My peep sight has nothing to do with my sight housing. The only use I have for my sight housing is to protect my pins.