Peep Rotation Issue

CB4

WKR
I put new strings on my bow about 2-3 months ago and the local shop did not align the peep and d loop properly. With the bow at rest the peep pointed to the left about 15-20 degrees when looking through it while the d loop was straight back. When I would draw the bow the peep stayed the same direction. I removed the d loop and put a new one on to match the peep so when I would draw back everything would line up. However to get this done, at rest, my peep and d loop are not facing the same direction. My peep is in the same spot and still faces to the left 15-20 degrees when looking through it, and my d loop points back and to the right at about 7-10 degrees. This tells me my string is now rotating some one the top when drawing to get everything lined up properly.

My question is, is this fine/normal or does the peep need to be taken out and put back in the string differently and d loop adjusted again? Never had this issue before.

Will try and update tonight with pictures.

Brendan

WKR
Proper fix is to set the peep at the height it needs to be, put the bow in a press and twist the top/bottom of the string such that the peep is aligned correctly, and then set the D-loop to match the peep.

When strings are new, they'll often stretch / settle some over the first 100-200 shots, so this can happen.

I guess this happens as the string “breaks in” my string builder pre stretches for 24 hours which I notice helps a bunch. A trick which requires a press is to take a “three or so inch” piece of yarn, and insert it in the middle of your string above your peep. Take the bow out of the press and slide the yarn up and down the string. This will rotate your peep and D loop, if they are facing separate directions still I would align the peep and get the d loop retied. Keep the yarn in for a while till you get a couple Hundo arrows shot. Hope this helps.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Outwest

WKR
Echo what brendan said with a slight difference....

If the strings are new and depending on the quality, it can take a while before they "settle in".

Keep shooting it and if you notice that it does not change, its likely a problem with the twists in the string. Start by adding 1/2 twist to the top of the string. Even if this mis-aligns the peep, you are wanting to see the peep NOT rotate when you draw back. So if its 1/4 turn off at rest and a 1/4 turn off at full draw in the same position, you fixed that issue.

If not, chase the turn of the peep as it rotates to full draw. That is to say, if the peep rotates toward you to align correctly, twist the string 1/2 twist in that direction. Also, once I go past 1/2 to 1 twist on the top of the string, I equalize it on the bottom part of the string + or - 1 full twist.

Once the peep is no longer rotating when you draw, swap string strands to one side of the peep or the other to achieve alignment at full draw. If your peep is a 1/4 turn off to the shooters left at rest and in the same position at full draw, take 1 or 2 strands from the Right side of the peep (first two strands nearest the shooter) and put them on the left. Be sure to take 1 or 2 strands from the left (first two nearest the riser) and put them on the right to split the string evenly. This should bring the peep into alignment.

You will find that you will very likely need to tie another d-loop/nocking point after completing this.

OP
CB4

CB4

WKR
Thank you all for the info. Going to mess with it a little this weekend!

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
I always shoot 40-50 arrows before putting in a peep. Let everything settle out and then put the peep in so it's straight. Good strings should be good to go at that point. A lot of them don't even need that many shots, but it doesn't take long so I do it anyway.

Pawag

FNG
I guess this happens as the string “breaks in” my string builder pre stretches for 24 hours which I notice helps a bunch. A trick which requires a press is to take a “three or so inch” piece of yarn, and insert it in the middle of your string above your peep. Take the bow out of the press and slide the yarn up and down the string. This will rotate your peep and D loop, if they are facing separate directions still I would align the peep and get the d loop retied. Keep the yarn in for a while till you get a couple Hundo arrows shot. Hope this helps.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I have the same issue. Thanks for the help. Are you still selling the HHA kingpin? If so I’m interested.