Peep Sight Hell (Redux many times over... Just pleading for a solution)...

When you say "nothing" would that mean the bow is just a bust... trash it, if a new set of strings doesn't work?

As always thank you for the technical details!!

When I was writing that it was in reference to where you were off on ATA.

Strings/cables set your ATA. If you can't get the proper ATA then your set is incorrect or the specs you are working off of are incorrect.

If the bow is off on draw weight it could be from the limb deflection being on the lower end of the spectrum for that poundage. Limbs aren't exact, they are built, then deflection is measured. I suspect some companies spend more time culling limbs than others. This is also why you have a range in ATA, you twist up the strings/cables on a light deflection limb set to get to the minimum ATA and you will probably be at the max # or within a # or 2, same if you let everything out a little and get to max ATA on a heavy deflection set.

I thought I had put an edit on my post, stating I was referring to ATA. I double checked it.

So if I lay them out and measure them they may not measure to spec, correct?

I use a well anchored peg and screwdriver. You can put one loop on the peg and a screwdriver/rod thru the other loop. Pulling with one hand while measuring with a tape measure will let you know how close they are. Modern strings compound strings don't stretch like the flemish twist and dacrons.

I have a fancy press with a spring scale to measure under tension for replacement strings once I have everything dialed in, but when trying to see if it's close to what it's supposed to be, the above method will work.

OP
wildernessmaster

wildernessmaster

Lil-Rokslider
When I was writing that it was in reference to where you were off on ATA.

Strings/cables set your ATA. If you can't get the proper ATA then your set is incorrect or the specs you are working off of are incorrect.

If the bow is off on draw weight it could be from the limb deflection being on the lower end of the spectrum for that poundage. Limbs aren't exact, they are built, then deflection is measured. I suspect some companies spend more time culling limbs than others. This is also why you have a range in ATA, you twist up the strings/cables on a light deflection limb set to get to the minimum ATA and you will probably be at the max # or within a # or 2, same if you let everything out a little and get to max ATA on a heavy deflection set.

I thought I had put an edit on my post, stating I was referring to ATA. I double checked it.
Called diamond and confirmed the ATA was over 1/4" off the long end of their spectrum. The brace appears to be about a 1/4" over its length as well. The draw weight (right now) is off by 8#. Limb bolts all the way tightened on a 70# bow are sitting around 61 - 64 (the latter with the 6 cable twists).

OP
wildernessmaster

wildernessmaster

Lil-Rokslider
#1 measure ATA and Brace and compare to OEM specs for the bow. You want those at least close, or better, dead on as a starting point. If those are on, and you're close to 65 with the limbs bottomed out, I'm guessing you have 65# limbs. If they're off - definitely need to measure the strings and cables if you can't dial them in with twists.
Its shot at 70# before. And its marked 70#

Called diamond and confirmed the ATA was over 1/4" off the long end of their spectrum. The brace appears to be about a 1/4" over its length as well. The draw weight (right now) is off by 8#. Limb bolts all the way tightened on a 70# bow are sitting around 61 - 64 (the latter with the 6 cable twists).

So have you measured your string/cable set?

I feel certain your threads are long, I'd also be checking the length of my replacements before putting them on.

OP
wildernessmaster

wildernessmaster

Lil-Rokslider
Update...

Put new strings on... During the process the first thing I noticed was that I had to press the bow considerably further to just get them on - in other words the other strings (and cables) were way LONG (and that was already with cable twists!)!

The stated ATA for the bow is 31.5. I was previously sitting a little over 31.75 (which diamond said was over the recommended long). I am now sitting at 31 5/16ths which I am betting is in spec. I measured the brace height from actual deepest grip pocket to string was 7" and still is 7" - but spec says 6 3/4". Draw weight is back up to 68.5 (from barely 62)

I am guessing the strings were shot. Are vapor trail strings that bad (that's what the receipt says from where the bow shop put them on)?

Now I gotta rebuild the peep, reset the fall away, etc.

Thanks for all the input.

OP
wildernessmaster

wildernessmaster

Lil-Rokslider
BTW Lesson(s) learned...

- Peep sight hell is probably an indicator of other problems
- Know your bow specs and use them as a guide
- Buy quality strings for a bow
- Bows are high maintenance chicks :)

wayoh22

WKR
Update...

Put new strings on... During the process the first thing I noticed was that I had to press the bow considerably further to just get them on - in other words the other strings (and cables) were way LONG (and that was already with cable twists!)!

The stated ATA for the bow is 31.5. I was previously sitting a little over 31.75 (which diamond said was over the recommended long). I am now sitting at 31 5/16ths which I am betting is in spec. I measured the brace height from actual deepest grip pocket to string was 7" and still is 7" - but spec says 6 3/4". Draw weight is back up to 68.5 (from barely 62)

I am guessing the strings were shot. Are vapor trail strings that bad (that's what the receipt says from where the bow shop put them on)?

Now I gotta rebuild the peep, reset the fall away, etc.

Thanks for all the input.
I didn't have the best experience with Vapor Trail strings. Had the serving come undone within a month in multiple places on the string. Talked to Rick and he sent me a warranty set to put on. Again, within a month the serving came undone on the warranty set. Rick at that point said I could send them back to have them reserved or have a new set of strings built for 50% personally by him. Nothing against Rick and would commend him on his customer service to fix the problem but I declined both offers and have moved onto GAS since and couldn't be happier.

OP
wildernessmaster

wildernessmaster

Lil-Rokslider
I didn't have the best experience with Vapor Trail strings. Had the serving come undone within a month in multiple places on the string. Talked to Rick and he sent me a warranty set to put on. Again, within a month the serving came undone on the warranty set. Rick at that point said I could send them back to have them reserved or have a new set of strings built for 50% personally by him. Nothing against Rick and would commend him on his customer service to fix the problem but I declined both offers and have moved onto GAS since and couldn't be happier.
Additional lesson learned... Don't use vapor trail strings! and beware of a bow shop that pimps them