Peep Sight Hell (Redux many times over... Just pleading for a solution)...

wildernessmaster

Lil-Rokslider
I feel like with my bows I am peep sight hell... Everytime I get a peep sight working right, suddenly I pick up the bow and now its crazy twisting. By crazy twisting, I am not meaning a slight creep, but where the peep suddenly won't align hardly at all and after you do get it mostly aligned for a few shots, it suddenly is making a 1/4+ rotation.

This happened with my Mission (I sold). The only thing I could figure out with it was that one of cables had frayed a bit. Replaced it but it still didn't hold a good alignment.

My diamond sb deploy has been rock solid with the peep, and now suddenly I pull it out after a month of being unused and it is doing the crazy peep routine on me. The strings and cables look solid on it. Granted I hunted hard with it this year so it saw a lot of use, climate changes, etc.

I am building out 2 new bows for next season (as well as want to get this diamond "right" - its a great lightweight bow) and I want to get peep alignment and more so the suddenly crazy peep routine off my list of "killing my archery buzz".

How often should I expect peeps to go crazy like this? Is it a sign of something?

How can I get all my peeps better served to avoid minor to crazy rotations like this? I have watched dozens of "How to make your peep align videos" and tried some of the ideas, but it seems like peeps creep (a lot - or do my peeps just not like me)?

Are there ways you can minimize the peep creep in terms of storage, maintenance, etc = or is peep creep just gonna always be a "archery buzz kill"?

I am aware their are systems you can tie in (rubber tubes) that bring a peep into perfect alignment, but I want to keep my bows KISS... Because when I hunt I hunt hard and don't need any additional failure points.

Thank you in advance for input.

Stock strings? You shoot a Revolt right? How many arrows have you shot through it?

My Revolt took over a month of shooting and going to pro shop twice to get the peep aligned perfect and finally set. Just happens. I think I shot close to 600 arrows in that time. Factory strings suck from what I've heard. Especially BT's. Pro shop said it's common with new bow.

chadcharb

Lil-Rokslider
If your buying quality custom string sets it shouldn't be a problem at all. Most factory strings will have some movement because they're cutting cost by adding a cheaper string and cable set. Typically the cheaper the bow is new the worse they will be.
Here's what I do. Buy a quality set of strings and cables from a reputable builder, hog wire, ghost, John Mosier ect... there's a ton out there. Get them on your bow and in spec and put 150-200 arrows through your bow before you ever put your peep in. Let them shoot in and settle, good strings may not move at all and if they do it will be very little. Then tie in your peep and it shouldn't be an issue at all.

Reactions: Zac

Stalker69

WKR
I know what you mean. I hate it when it turns even just a hair. Most pre twist before they shoot, I hate having to do that. I have been in arguments with several friends over the years that say they don’t have to pre twist. I have filmed them doing it every time they shoot, they just don’t even realize they do it. I am trying something different I have come up with, but haven’t shot it at long distance or for a long time to see how it’s going to work in the long run. I shoot all year and peep is fine, I go down to Texas, Arizona, Florida to hunt and its always is a little to a lot off and I have to pre twist, I hate it. I have spent a ton of money on custom strings and different bows and still have to pre twist some, a lot of the time, and it drives me nuts.

OP
wildernessmaster

wildernessmaster

Lil-Rokslider
Stock strings? You shoot a Revolt right? How many arrows have you shot through it?

My Revolt took over a month of shooting and going to pro shop twice to get the peep aligned perfect and finally set. Just happens. I think I shot close to 600 arrows in that time. Factory strings suck from what I've heard. Especially BT's. Pro shop said it's common with new bow.

I have a Diamond SB-Deploy, a Bowtech Revolt, and a Elite Kure (the later two I am building out like I want). The issue is with the Diamond. Not stock strings, I had them replaced. And I shot the thing all last year probably 500+ arrows. It ran flawlessly all hunting season - literally did not have to touch my peep at all. Then poof it is crazy rotating.

OctoberGold

Lil-Rokslider
The issue is with your string 100%. A good quality set won't rotate after it settles in. I'd pull the strings and cables, check lengths, twist them back to spec and reinstall. My guess is you had some creep. Sometimes adding a full twist to the string and then adjusting for peep rotation will do the trick.

Reactions: Zac

wapitibob

WKR
A good string won't move from summer to winter nor will it move after sitting for a month. Throw it in the garbage and get a good one. If a mfg tells you his product needs to be shot 100 times to settle, walk away.
If I was buying today I'd buy GAS.

A good string won't move from summer to winter nor will it move after sitting for a month. Throw it in the garbage and get a good one. If a mfg tells you his product needs to be shot 100 times to settle, walk away.
If I was buying today I'd buy GAS.

im looking at GAS but what is difference between their 2/3 vs 4/5 kit you know by chance thanks! Sorry OP for side track.

Edit: thanks to GAS customer support depends on bow and number of strings cables needed. Mine is a 2/3 pack.

Last edited:
OP
wildernessmaster

wildernessmaster

Lil-Rokslider
Update...

So I put it in the bow press and made a half turn opposite of the rotation (on the bottom string). At rest the peep sits perfectly straight. The problem is when I draw the bow, it rotates a little over a 1/4 counterclockwise.

I also just realized (because I went to tighten up the limb pockets to 70#s - had had it at 65) that the limb pockets are fully tightened and I am barely getting 63#s out of it.

Is that a pretty good indication the strings are stretched? Is it too much to tighten or should I replace.

BTW, I don't remember the brand but these were put on by a bow shop and were premium stings (not factories). I think the strings were about $140ish.

OP
wildernessmaster

wildernessmaster

Lil-Rokslider
Update...

So I put it in the bow press and made a half turn opposite of the rotation (on the bottom string). At rest the peep sits perfectly straight. The problem is when I draw the bow, it rotates a little over a 1/4 counterclockwise.

I also just realized (because I went to tighten up the limb pockets to 70#s - had had it at 65) that the limb pockets are fully tightened and I am barely getting 63#s out of it.

Is that a pretty good indication the strings are stretched? Is it too much to tighten or should I replace.

BTW, I don't remember the brand but these were put on by a bow shop and were premium stings (not factories). I think the strings were about $140ish.

I also just noticed when I was shooting it there is a much more pronounced sound in the limbs like a whack.

wapitibob

WKR
Update...

That 1/4 rotation is common for most factory and many custom strings. A good harness won't creep and drop your bow weight; the builder will use the max number of strands to fit the cam grooves and use enough tension that nothing will move. Once they start to move they won't stop.

You have a bow press and know how to use it, buy direct. Call GAS, tell them you bought premium strings, they sucked, and see what they'll do for you.

The guy making steve anderson's strings is good as well.

The custom string business was started by Tom Nealy who then partnered with Mike Slinkard and they started Winners Choice Bowstrings. Griggs was working for Elite when TOG bought winners choice and he moved over and ran that new acquisition till he quit and started GAS.

if you're bored this is worth a listen..

Last edited:
Going against the grain here, but the rubber tube will take care of that issue. Been using them forever, never an issue in the field. Every time I want to go tubeless I see a post like this. No thanks.

Reburn

Mayhem Contributor
one of 2 options
#1 your stings are shit. Could have been built that way or you could have F'ed them up.
#2 you tied your peep in way too tight.

Dont tie your peep like a gorilla. Peeps shouldnt move when you draw. If they do something is wrong.
If you are putting a bunch of twists or taking out a bunch of twists in your string it can cause rotation. They are speced to have X amount of twist per inch. Deviate from that too much and you will cause rotation on draw. Tie your peep super tight and it WILL induce rotation at draw. Or the strings just maybe low quality and are creeping (permanent elongation). When a string creeps it will cause the peep to rotate at rest. Creeping due to wide temp fluctuations can happen depending on the string material. But thats a whole nother ball of wax. You will be fine with 454 or x99 for temp stability.

chadcharb

Lil-Rokslider
Going against the grain here, but the rubber tube will take care of that issue. Been using them forever, never an issue in the field. Every time I want to go tubeless I see a post like this. No thanks.
The rubber tube is a bandaid. If your peep is twisting it's an indicator that something is wrong and your bow is mostly likely no longer in time or tune. There's a reason you only see them on cheap bows.

chadcharb

Lil-Rokslider
Update...

That's a huge indicator that things have stretched. If you measure your ata it'll most likely come in pretty long which is why your dw is low. A typical shop will charge 140+ for string swaps. The strings are typically around 100 and whatever they charge over that is too cover the swap and tune time in the shop.

The rubber tube is a bandaid. If your peep is twisting it's an indicator that something is wrong and your bow is mostly likely no longer in time or tune. There's a reason you only see them on cheap bows.
That's why I said I was going against the grain, but in saying that, I've never had a twist problem, can't say that about hunting partner. When I pull back, I know the peep will be right there. I'm not disagreeing at all, just saying for me it works and has worked well for all types of game in all types of weather, humidity, etc.

Update...

You're 7 lbs light with the pockets against the riser? That's definitely a string and cable issue. If you get you're strings from your pro shop then I would take it back to them. If they are stock strings, I would order a set.

I get all mine from Catfish Customs. Mike does absolutely fantastic work and is usually shipped within a couple days of ordering. Mike will also work with you if there is ever a problem.

Here are a couple good videos on peep sights.

Sent from my Pixel 3a XL using Tapatalk

OP
wildernessmaster

wildernessmaster

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks for all the input here... You "its your strings" guys I believe are spot on... I called Diamond to get some insight. They recommended I measure the ATA and it was over spec. They said more than likely its the strings.

They were Vapor Trail strings and cables (not cheap $130). They were put on in Oct of 2018. I did not use the bow that year. Starting last Jan I was shooting the bow 20+ times a day - and as I said previously used it through hunting season pretty hard.

Question, how often should you have to replace your strings. Let's say the bow has 2000-3000 arrows through it. Is that enough to have the strings go out like this?