Peep sites

I have always shot without a peep site until this year. Since ive started shooting a peep i feel my groupes have tightend but I had a real close encounter with a p&y whitetail and couldn't get a shot off do to low light. I think without a peep I may have gotten a shot. With a new bow in my near future I can't decide wether to keep it or go back to my old ways. Any opinions on my dilemma?

jmez

WKR
What was the aperture size on your peep?

There are also a few products out there now that allow you to remove the peep. Hindsight is one of them, there is another but can't remember now.

I would recommend keeping the peep or using something like the hindsight.

RosinBag

Super Moderator
Staff member
Peep will always be more accurate. If you run a peep that circles your sight housing, low light shouldn't be an issue, unless you are shooting at night. If you use a super small peep and center your pin, then low light could be an issue for you.

3/16" or 1/4" peep are fairly standard use with 1 7/8" to 2 1/4" sight housing. Plenty of light should be available for shooting.

Rocky

WKR
Stick with the peep if you are going to shoot at any distance. I saw a piece by Randy Ulmer where he talked about using the triangle created above and below the peep and where it is served into the bow string to counter low light situations. However he stated you needed to learn how "changing" your peep sight impacts your aim point. Of course this is only a last option the first choice is to use your peep sight as it was designed.

I don't see a question :) The answer is ALWAYS a PEEP!!! Make sure that you match your peep size to your housing on your sight. You should be able to see the ring on your front sight inside the diameter of your peep while at full draw. If you go TOO large to "let in more light" you will start to lose your accuracy.

As long as you aren't going with a large housing such as a CBE w/ the XL housing or a spot hogg large housing I would strongly recommend looking into the Specialty Archery Super Peep and an Aperture kit. It will allow you to start with a 3/16 housing w/o an insert and start sizing down if you feel its too big. This allows you to play and tinker a little more without damaging your strings with the repetition of changing out peeps.

J-Daddy

WKR
Stick with the peep, it just makes you a better shot...I normally always hunt with a 3/16" peep, it's a happy medium for me, small enough to still be accurate but still lets a good amount of light in...I've shot the 1/4" and larger peeps and my accuracy suffers at longer range I think.

OP
flatlander51
Well I went and bought the creed this weekend. Which I'm very happy with! I kept my peep site thanks to all the advice from my fellow hunters. I have two more weeks of bow season so hopefully I can break it in before the season ends. Thanks for the advice.

theedz

WKR
Just my 2 cents, I always shoot with a peep. But one thing I found out is that the length of the Axle-to-Axle makes a difference on the size of peep I need, even with the same sight. I think it all has to do with the angle of the string in relation to your eye placement. You more experienced guys can correct me if I am wrong on that. I know I have to shoot a larger peep on my shorter ATA bows than on the longer.