Pelican Case Elastic Webbing

Robbo857

Lil-Rokslider
I'll be flying for a hunt this year (first time) and I'm planning on packing most of my gear in my pelican case with my rifle (essentials will be in my carry on). I'd remove all the foam from the case and use my clothing and sleeping bas as cushioning for the rifle. I'm thinking about trying to install some sort of elastic webbing on the lid to keep gear separated for quick and easy inspection at the airport and Customs (flying to Canada). Has anyone done anything like this or seen a similar set up? Or am I just over thinking it and looking for an excuse for a "project"? Thanks.

Antares

WKR
I'd be real hesitant to take the foam out if it were me. In my mind, the tight fitting foam is the whole point of a Pelican case. I feel like my rifle could survive a lot of abuse. I'm not sure I'd feel as confident if it was just packed in there with a bunch of socks and undies. You ever seen how those guys handle baggage? I'll take all the padding I can get. Having my rifle show up in good condition (preferably still zeroed) is pretty high on my priority list.

OP
Robbo857

Robbo857

Lil-Rokslider
I'd be real hesitant to take the foam out if it were me. In my mind, the tight fitting foam is the whole point of a Pelican case. I feel like my rifle could survive a lot of abuse. I'm not sure I'd feel as confident if it was just packed in there with a bunch of socks and undies. You ever seen how those guys handle baggage? I'll take all the padding I can get. Having my rifle show up in good condition (preferably still zeroed) is pretty high on my priority list.

Fair point. I think I’d still leave the middle padding in that’s cut to fit the rifle, but I think there would still be enough padding (sleeping bag, down jacket, etc) to keep the rifle from being jarred. Thanks for the input as this is a thought in progress.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I concur about not removing the foam; at a minimum in the top and bottom. Your rifle will be taking a beating while in transport and that foam is what is keeping your rifle (hopefully) zeroed and your scope functional. My Pelican got damaged going to Kodiak this past fall and got really trashed coming back from Kodiak.

Check the laws as last time I hunted in Canada, my ammo had to be in a locked case in a separate checked bag.

OP
Robbo857

Robbo857

Lil-Rokslider
I concur about not removing the foam; at a minimum in the top and bottom. Your rifle will be taking a beating while in transport and that foam is what is keeping your rifle (hopefully) zeroed and your scope functional. My Pelican got damaged going to Kodiak this past fall and got really trashed coming back from Kodiak.

Check the laws as last time I hunted in Canada, my ammo had to be in a locked case in a separate checked bag.

Thanks for the input. As far as ammo, the current policy is “Ammunition must be: Securely packaged and packed separately from the firearm, however it is permitted to be transported within the same container.”

My interpretation, and may be different than the Border Agent, is that the ammo may be packed with the rifle, but not in the firearm. I’ve purchased a smaller lockable box for the ammo. I’ll check again on Canada’s site and not just the airlines. Thanks again.

Fair point. I think I’d still leave the middle padding in that’s cut to fit the rifle, but I think there would still be enough padding (sleeping bag, down jacket, etc) to keep the rifle from being jarred. Thanks for the input as this is a thought in progress.

You have time to test it.

Load it up as planned and lock it. Then toss it from waist height. Then pick it up and slam it to the ground from waist height. Do the same (both toss and slam) from head height and then from cargo door height. Once that is done, then run over it several times with different weight vehicles from different directions on both the top and bottom.

Take your rifle, go to the range, and shoot it to see how it does. If it is still on, proceed as you are thinking about. But if it does not, then use the full foam protection.

Note: The test above is not that far out of the norm as things do get thrown around, dropped, run over, etc. under normal circumstances; and this is without malicious intent. But when the anti-gun and/or anti-hunting baggage handlers get involved, your Pelican is going to take a serious beating. This is based upon my personal experience with flying over 2 million miles over the past decade and one of the main reasons why I do damn near anything to NOT check a bag unless I have no choice.

OP
Robbo857

Robbo857

Lil-Rokslider
You have time to test it.

Load it up as planned and lock it. Then toss it from waist height. Then pick it up and slam it to the ground from waist height. Do the same (both toss and slam) from head height and then from cargo door height. Once that is done, then run over it several times with different weight vehicles from different directions on both the top and bottom.

Take your rifle, go to the range, and shoot it to see how it does. If it is still on, proceed as you are thinking about. But if it does not, then use the full foam protection.

Note: The test above is not that far out of the norm as things do get thrown around, dropped, run over, etc. under normal circumstances; and this is without malicious intent. But when the anti-gun and/or anti-hunting baggage handlers get involved, your Pelican is going to take a serious beating. This is based upon my personal experience with flying over 2 million miles over the past decade and one of the main reasons why I do damn near anything to NOT check a bag unless I have no choice.

Haha. Is there an ASTM method for this test? I’m thinking about removing this post; the horror stories are starting to make me anxious.

Haha. Is there an ASTM method for this test? I’m thinking about removing this post; the horror stories are starting to make me anxious.

Folks do remove the center piece of foam and leave the others. They then fill up all of the void with clothes. That approach can give bit of movement but not free-floating.

Antares

WKR
They know what a rifle case looks like. Some folks successfully use a locking golf club case.

The Pelican 1750 isnt specifically a rifle case. They are commonly used to transport all sorts of instruments and equipment for field work. Regardless, I’ll take my chances if my other option is being confused for a golfer.

Last edited:

ODB

WKR
Guys I know do this with their TuffPaks going to Africa. Some swear by it, some don’t.