Pellet Grill/smoker recommendations under $700ish

pk_

WKR
I was checking that one out too good price on Amazon usually.
Keep your eye on Walmart I got mine for $400(Austin xl) and saw it on sale in store for $300 not long ago. Almost picked up another one just for a backup at that price...
You won’t regret it.
Also I cemented my auger and broke a piece(can’t remember what piece) I was out of warranty but pit boss sent the piece out at no charge. 👍

notradame

Lil-Rokslider
I would recommend a 22.5 inch Weber Smokey Mountain and a 22.5 inch (or bigger) Weber Kettle. $500 before accessories. you can grill and smoke on the kettle and you can smoke with charcoal and wood with the WSM. if you want set and forget you can get a pit temp controller for the WSM too. Here is my WSM and Weber Kettle in action a couple years ago ribs on the WSM and burgers and dogs on the kettle!
duo.jpg

Cbrew

FNG
I’ve had a Rec Tec for about 5 or 6 years. I love it. They are well built and their customer service is second to none. Mine was more than your budget, but it was their largest model at the time. If you buy a smaller one, you may be able to find it in your budget.

I’m no help to you really... But for my first pellet grill I wanted to get one cheap... just to get my feet wet with a new style of grilling. I stumbled upon the Members Mark 28” pellet grill at Sam’s Club (it’s made by Trail Embers, just with a Members Mark logo instead). It was on sale and I think I paid $189 before tax. Said it was originally $399 but they could have been blowing smoke? I didn’t expect to get a ton of use out of it but I’m going on two years now and that’s grilling at least 3-4 times each month. I’m pleasantly surprised. From burgers to brisket it’s served me well. BUT, with all that said my next pellet grill is going to be a Camp Chef. I’ve already looked into a lot of the different brands and features offered and like that brand. I’ve heard they do some good sales once a year or so as well...

TripleAAA

FNG
I'm talking trager style. Although I think you pay alot for the name.
I do get the expertvoice deal on camp chef. But we dont discuss expert voice prices.
Green mountain.
Doesn't need to be super big just me and the lady.
Mostly interested in features and quality under $700
I have had my treager for about ten years now and use it probably 75-100 times per year and never had any problems. had to replace small parts like the thermometer.

Trial153

WKR
I had a weber ex6 on order and i recently canceled it as the reviews been terrible. Think i am going with a Rec tec or Green mountain instead

IaTrent

Lil-Rokslider
If your open to alternatives to a pellet grill check out the PK360 from PK Grills.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Check out Rec Tec if you want quality And something that’s going to last a long time. I checked them all out before I bought mine and they are just better made with higher quality components than other comparable priced grills. Other than Yoder Pro grills, they are in a league of there own.

Kwet239

Lil-Rokslider
Ive had 2 Treagers, I now have a Rectec Stampede.... Love it, high quality stainless steel component, rock steady temp, and excellent customer service. I love my RECTEC

nkramer6

FNG
My buddy has GMG and loves it. He does a good job with it.

I have the GMG Davy Crockett and my main gripe is that it wont heat without burning pellets. Once you get to the point where the meat wont accept any more smoke, all you need is the temperature to be maintained. having an electric heating option is more desirable for this. I have found that the burning of the pellets is hot enough to char the meat beyond what I am going for.

TLDR: It burns too hot

nkramer6

FNG
I will say that the GMG is definitely able to hit that 550 degree mark and get a good sear on the meat. you wont be having that roast-type outer layer if you crank it up

michihunt

Lil-Rokslider
I appreciate everyone’s feedback on here. I did a lot of research and this thread helped. I picked up a GMG Daniel Boone WiFi last night for a really good price. Hoping to try it out this weekend!

Master Built 40" electric smoker. I purchased one of these three years ago and there are weeks that I do something on the smoker 3 nights. Use it probably at least once a week every week. It's a lot of fun and is simple to use.

jmcd22

WKR
I bought the first gen GMG and it has served me well for a number of years but over the last few years, parts have failed...some more than once. I feel as if the quality of GMG has really declined over the years. I finally had enough of my GMG this weekend as I have burned through the igniter or control board yet again. In doing research on a new grill, it seems most other brands are getting more expensive while the GMGs get cheaper. That says one thing to me. I wouldn't recommend the GMG if you're looking for longevity...I would spend the extra cash on another brand if you're able.

EDIT: Old thread but posted for anyone else looking.

Badseed

WKR
I have had a pit boss pro for a little over a year now but use it all the time. I have cooked everything from dove breasts to 6 bone prime ribs and most things in between. I absolutely love the grill. I used to think that a barrel smoker was all anyone should need but I stand corrected. A good pellet smoker is so much more. You can usually find the pro smoker on sale for around $500. For comparison, a group of us at work bought a rectec smoker which cost more than double the pit boss. The only significant difference I see between them is that the rectec has a finer temperature adjustment. I would still take the pit boss over it.