Pellet Grill/smoker recommendations under $700ish

pronuance

FNG
I bought the first gen GMG and it has served me well for a number of years but over the last few years, parts have failed...some more than once. I feel as if the quality of GMG has really declined over the years. I finally had enough of my GMG this weekend as I have burned through the igniter or control board yet again. In doing research on a new grill, it seems most other brands are getting more expensive while the GMGs get cheaper. That says one thing to me. I wouldn't recommend the GMG if you're looking for longevity...I would spend the extra cash on another brand if you're able.

EDIT: Old thread but posted for anyone else looking.
Did you buy a new one?
I've got a GMG going on two years now, been great, use 2-3x a week. With that usage I'm just waiting for it to burn out and will need buy another one.

jmcd22

WKR
Did you buy a new one?
I've got a GMG going on two years now, been great, use 2-3x a week. With that usage I'm just waiting for it to burn out and will need buy another one.

I did. I was eyeing a Yoder very hard but just couldn't bring myself to spend that kind of money on a BBQ when 80% of what I cook is burgers, steak and fish. I bought the GMG Prime on the Father's Day sale and was actually very surprised by the quality given the price point. I was unhappy with how many parts failed on my last grill but I got 8 years out of that GMG using it 4-5 days a week (and that's a conservative estimate). That's not to bad for a BBQ with electric parts.

Dadnstuff

Lil-Rokslider
I bought a Camp Chef Smoke Pro last summer, and am very pleased. It is built very solid, heavy. I cook on it 3-5 times a week (grill, smoke, even pizzas). If you can get a first responder/vet/mil/guide discount on Expert Voice, it'll save you a couple of bucks.

ccoffey

Lil-Rokslider
Try to find one of the original Mt. Angel Traegers if you can. They're built well and still hold the test of time. There's a few places here in oregon that buy the old ones and refurbish them with new controllers. I love traeger, but since they've sold, they're pretty flimsy.

I'm a fan of Green Mountain Grills. I use mine 2-3 times a week and the only issue that I've had is a bad power supply. It's a design problem and now I have a spare just in case.

Blend120

FNG
I have a camp chef pellet grill and also a Weber Smokey Mountain.
The Camp Chef is great when it’s working. You need to store it in a dry place or remove the pellets after each cook. They expand in dampness, jam up the auger and you need to clean all that out and start over. Or maybe it will just light on fire and clear itself out. That happened once. Customer service has been great though. The controller died and they sent a new digital one immediately without question.

While that was shipping to me I bought a Weber Smokey Mountain 18”. I love this thing. I bought it in March and have done a ton of cooks on it. Like many 15 hour cooks. All are amazing. Much better flavor than a pellet. No technology to break down. Easy to use. They are like steering a slow boat. Slight adjustment....wait 15 minutes and see where she lands temp wise. Then it’s steady for hours on end. Good luck!

fairyson

FNG
Pellet grills have significantly less malignant growth causing cancer-causing agents and the majority of the notable organizations like Treager produce their pellet grills with at least two shields that come in the middle of your food and the warmth source and this implies the potential cancer-causing agent fat beads come up short on the chamber into a basin that is outwardly of the Grill. Along these lines the conceivably perilous fat never gets an opportunity to trickle down into the warmth source which is the fire.

Spoonman

WKR
Only get a Traeger if you like to have a grill that is broke more than it’s not. I have the pro 34 bronze, it’s less than 2 years old and the auger motor has gone out, the temp sensor, the digital control board, and the auger fan. It also has never reached 400 deg. Biggest pile of shit I’ve owned!

Whisky

WKR
Only get a Traeger if you like to have a grill that is broke more than it’s not. I have the pro 34 bronze, it’s less than 2 years old and the auger motor has gone out, the temp sensor, the digital control board, and the auger fan. It also has never reached 400 deg. Biggest pile of shit I’ve owned!

Actually, there is a bigger pile of shit. It's called the Weber Smokefire.
And I'm a Weber fan!

If you can afford it, buy American.

TommyV10

FNG
I purchased the Green Mountain and absolutely love it. I have smoked several briskets, jerky and pulled pork. Everything turned out amazing.

Challis

FNG
I went down this rabbit hole a couple of years ago after my Traeger started having issues. I was going to go with the Rec Tec due to budget constraints but spent more for the Mak Grill. Very happy with the Mak and they are well built and solid but out of your range. From what I read on different posts, sounds like the Grilla or Rec Tec for the budget. Good luck.

FlyGuy

WKR
I went down this rabbit hole a couple of years ago after my Traeger started having issues. I was going to go with the Rec Tec due to budget constraints but spent more for the Mak Grill. Very happy with the Mak and they are well built and solid but out of your range. From what I read on different posts, sounds like the Grilla or Rec Tec for the budget. Good luck.

Huge fan of the RecTec

You can’t cheat the mountain

OXN939

WKR
Bumping this one- about to pick up a Camp Chef XT 24, I think. Anyone care to share experiences with that model?

Another RecTec vote here. Stainless steel construction, the app is awesome for monitoring temps and turning on/off. Also, these are assembled in Georgia. As far as the app control, it's super handy because I can turn the grill on as I leave somewhere and it's hot when I get home. You can smoke low or sear hot (mine goes over 500). I haven't touched my kamado since I bought mine.

henz08

FNG
GMG Davy Crockett is great. Plus you can easily pack it up and take it on trips, they sell a custom tote. Huge fan.

OXN939

WKR
Update on the Camp Chef- assembly is an onerous process with cryptic directions, components that fit together differently than shown in the manual, and parts that are either dented or appear to be missing completely. Haven't fired up yet, but putting it together definitely sucks

20200927_135811.jpg

Screenshot_20200927-135935_Gallery.jpg