Pellet gun for prairie dogs

Love my RWS Diana 34 (.22 cal). Keeps my yard free of feeder-molesting squirrels and damn accurate once you find the right pellets. I have no doubt that it would work fine for PD's out to 50 yds. I have a buddy who took a 100 lb. feral pig with his. True story.

+1 for the RWS 34 .22 cal i’ve laid low thousands of pigeons and hundreds of squirrels and is few coon and fox with mine.

Another option is CCI quiet 22 ammo. It truly lives up to its name is plenty for prairie dogs out to 50 yards. Big step up on power over an air rifle too.

Nice to see another RWS 34 fan. I know there are plenty. After owning and shooting thousands of pellets of mine over the past 5 years, it's become my "bug out" tool of choice. I could stuff thousands of pellets into a small bag and be set for years. I even hear if you use the silver plated pellets, they are good for vampires and zombies too. :D

EastMT

WKR
I love high powered pellet guns, just remember they aren’t super quiet if your neighbors are real close. I learned this killing raccoons that were destroying my new sod. In the quiet of the evening they are a bit shocking in a quiet town lol.

hodgeman

WKR
I've killed a bunch of red squirrels with both a .22LR and a pellet rifle.

In the .22LR, I've used a lot of CB caps which are entirely adequate for squirrel and they're quiet as suppressed .22 pellet rifle.

The pellet rifle is adequate, but once you go past about 20 yards it wasn't awe inspiring and I'd imagine you'd have a bunch of slow, sloppy kills with it at 50 yards.

If I really needed to clear out prairie dogs and couldn't just shoot them with standard speed ammo, I'd probably use traps like a 110 or just gas them with a tailpipe.

Nice to see another RWS 34 fan. I know there are plenty. After owning and shooting thousands of pellets of mine over the past 5 years, it's become my "bug out" tool of choice. I could stuff thousands of pellets into a small bag and be set for years. I even hear if you use the silver plated pellets, they are good for vampires and zombies too. :D

Was just talking about pellet rifles in this instance with my father in law. Also very quiet if you don’t want to be found..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thank you for that insight. I was going to start my 9 year old out this year on hunting and wanted him to understand what killing meant without scaring with some horrific slow death, so I definitely appreciate your advice.

Sounds like a great plan for you!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tmac

WKR
Have used the single stroke pellet guns for squirrels quite a bit. Most take around 30 lbs. of effort to cock. Some guns are quite heavy. Depending on how large your 9yo is and the gun you select, he may need to grow into the gun. Have not noticed a difference in killing small squirrels between the .177 and .22. The bonus is most 22’s are quieter than the .177’s that I’ve shot. I always keep one in the house to fight off the squirrels. The sound suppression works well on mine, my current one is a Gamo In 22. But I’d be real tempted to suppress a 17hmr and be good to 175 on calm days...