pellet smoker performance below freezing

Baron85

WKR
I am looking to add a pellet smoker at home but concerned with performance in sub freezing temperatures. We live in the mountains of Colorado and it’s already down in the mid 30’s at night. We frequently see 0 during the winter.

How well do the pellet smokers/grills (traeger style) perform in the cold?

Are there certain brands that perform better in the cold?

Through my research so far I’m leaning toward the Grilla Silverbac due in part the the double wall construction.

1000yrds

FNG
Now granted my winters are no where near as cold as yours, but... I use a welding blanket (I believe that is the correct term) to insulate my Traeger 075 during the winters. I try to keep the smoker out of the cold wind, which we do get where I live, when it's not in use. The pellet grills are mechanical and are going to react to cold just like any other mechanical device. There has got to be a pellet user from some where really cold on the forum.

wilydawg

Lil-Rokslider
I ran a Traeger for years all year round. In the winter I used their insulating blanket. It made a world of difference in the winter. Without it (particularly when the wind blew) it was hard to maintain grill temp. With it there was no problem. A welding blanket will basically do the same thing and is a lot cheaper but is not nearly as easy to use.

Remps17

Lil-Rokslider
I live in Alberta and we run our Traeger all year long as well. We don't have a blanket for our 34 pro and we get by without it. You wont get it to 400 in really cold weather but we can get it to 380s without a blanket. I have used it in -30*C and I haven't had issues. In heavy wind and cold weather you might not be able to use the Traeger on the smoke options as it gets to low and spits out an error on the screen.

Lots of good options. I love the simplicity of a pellet grill.

bowtech840

Lil-Rokslider
We use ours all winter long without a blanket. As mentioned above ours will max out at about 400. Usually smoke something overnight every December for family get togethers and never had a problem with it not keeping temperature.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

xcutter

WKR
I have a Green Mountain Grill Daniel Boone. They sale a insulating blanket that bolts to the grill hood. Works great and helps with pellet consumption.

NDGuy

WKR
Anyone know of a pitboss insulated blanket? I have an 820d from Lowe's couldn't seem to find anything for it.

Trr15

WKR
Anyone know of a pitboss insulated blanket? I have an 820d from Lowe's couldn't seem to find anything for it.

Pit boss sells the insulating blankets on their website. Not 100% sure about the models they offer them for though. They do carry the one for my 1100.

DWBMontana

Lil-Rokslider
Memphis Grills, made in Minnesota, I use my Memphis 12 months out of the year, they are not cheap, but you get what you pay for, and MADE IN THE USA! They are amazing, will hold constant temp very very well. I sear steaks, bake pizza, breads, and of course smoke meats, huge surface area. Meat probe, stainless steel.....do not go cheap, go for the best.

I just got a super thick moving blanket from harbor freight or runnings, and doubled it over the top of the smoker. It works fine and the temps are low enough when I smoke food I’m not worried about a flare up. Way cheaper than buying a name brand thermal blanket. The biggest part is cutting the wind I would say.