Pellet smoker problems

Hi all, I'm looking to buy a pellet smoker for infrequent use. I already have a Brinkmann propane smoker that I have dialed in pretty well and that will continue to be my primary smoker. Occasionally, I don't have time to babysit my smoker for most of a day due to other engagements, so I need one that I can set and forget until the food is done (i.e. bluetooth).
That being said, I'm not really looking for recommendations about which one to buy. I want to know which one you have and what problems you currently have/ or have had with it.

z987k

WKR
I have a camp chef and if it's under 32F or so outside, it won't stay lit under about 180F.

Donutetr

FNG
Green Mountain Grill Daniel Boone. My biggest complaint is that its only wifi controlled other than turning it on and starting it. But the app does not have push notifications so you have to monitor the app periodically.

The old traegers were good but I stupidly got rid of my old one to get a bigger fancier one. It was awesome for about a month using it a couple times a week. Being able to monitor and adjust the temp with the phone app was really nice. The day after doing routine cleaning of the ash in the fire bowl etc I was cooking on it and playing with the dog, I happened to glance over at it and smoke was billowing out like I had never seen before. I lifted the lid and flames we’re coming out from the firebowl and up and around the grill. It was fortunate that I have a gazebo away from the house that it was under and that I happened to be standing there and noticed. Turns out that the Auger for the pellets never stopped and was just kept feeding pellets. I returned it to the store the next day and noticed that there were a lot of used traegers in the back so I looked it up and there seems to be a problem with some of them. As convenient as they are it would be hard for me to trust one unattended again.

Dos XX

WKR
Classified Approved
Yoder YS640. It is a beast. I have had no issues with it and have used it heavily for over 2 years.

One feature I like is that I can turn it on and run the fan without lighting it. This allows me to put a smoking tube in it and still have air flow in it to cold smoke cheese. I want to try to cold smoke some other things but haven't yet.

z987k

WKR
I'm likely going to get rid of my pellet grill and get a pellet cabinet smoker. I find they suck to grill on. They just can't sear properly. In the winter, they won't even make 400F. It's more of a medium temp oven.
I use it to smoke sausages and other game meat all the time, but the grill really lacks space. The cabinets have 5x the space on them.

I'm likely going to get rid of my pellet grill and get a pellet cabinet smoker. I find they suck to grill on. They just can't sear properly. In the winter, they won't even make 400F. It's more of a medium temp oven.
I use it to smoke sausages and other game meat all the time, but the grill really lacks space. The cabinets have 5x the space on them.

My Pitts & Spitts has no issue hitting 600° no matter the temperature outside.

It may take a little while because of the thick metal but it will get there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

sndmn11

WKR
Yoder 480 bought about April 2020 and used multiple times a week for smoking and grilling. It is outstanding.

At about a year had an issue with it tripping the breaker, they sent a new ignitor. A month later same issue. They sent out a new control/computer board thing. Turns out that at some point the wires for the control board to the ignitor were not routed the best way and when I replaced the ignitor I just did the same. That cause them to eventually fry the computer from heat.
Once routed the correct way things have been fine, no cost to me and down only 3-4 days between the two hiccups.

I have a Camp Chef DLX 24. I am very pleased with it and highly recommend.

I would definitely encourage you to research and buy one with a PID controller.

Last edited:
OP
B
I have a Camo Chef DLX 24. I am very pleased with it and highly recommend.

I would definitely encourage you to research and buy one with a PID controller.
I'm planning on the PID controller, regardless of the brand I pick. Thanks for the heads up.

I bought a camp chef woodwind Wi-Fi 36 and have really enjoyed it. Smokes great and have had no issues grilling. The only hard part is when it’s really cold outside but camp chef makes an insulated cover that goes over the lid to fix this problem. It’s also recommended to keep the adjustable cap on the chimney closed to only about 1/2” when it’s cold and open more when it’s hotter outside.

mmac

WKR
Big green egg can cook any temp up to 1000 degrees and because it is thick ceramic can hold heat even when below freezing outside

I have a campchef and it’s been ok, good for smoking briskets or steaks before I sear them on the grill. I think the highest I’ve ever seen it in the summer was 425 and in the winter it struggles to maintain 325, I usually do all my grilling on the Weber now. For smoking on low I have trouble with consistency it fluctuates a lot and doesn’t like to maintain under 200 degrees. For smoking summer and cured sausages it’s not good it melts all the fat out because it doesn’t go low enough. I’m going to replace my gas and pellet grill with the Weber kettle and build a cabinet smoker for sausages that hopefully has a range of 130-200. For 200+ degree smoking I’ll use the kettle with the slow n sear.

Another camp chef DLX here and I got the side burner on mine. Owned for 7 or 8 years now.

Pros: can grill burgers, dogs, steaks, chicken as well as smoke. Sear plate is awesome for finishing steaks and to quickly grill dogs, brats, etc…. This was a good replacement for both my old gas grill and Brinkman smoker. Also very easy to clean with the ash dump out on the bottom.

Cons: takes a looooong time to heat up in the fall and winter, like 30-40 minutes to hit 400. Then when you open to put meant on it takes forever to get back up to temp. Same goes when you flip. So a steak that should take 7-8 mins in the summer will take double or triple when it’s cold, and I keep mine in a machine shed. I’ve had issues with the meat probes twice, so I use an external aftermarket unit now.

On the egg style ceramic units, the only issue I know of is overheating. If you’re not paying attention they can get too hot quickly and the material is designed to hold heat, which can ruin your day. They are not a “set it and forget it” appliance.

Last edited:
I just cooked pizza on my camp chef tonight. It was amazing. Hit target temp of 375 easily and maintained it well. It was 38 degrees outside. When it was I done I wanted to see what it would do and got it to 425 pretty fast and it maintained it well. I know it would go higher just fine

Gen273

WKR
I have a pit boss pro series 1150; I like it, but it's my first pellet smoker. I have, however, run a stick burner for years.

Bcoonce117

Lil-Rokslider
Definitely would recommend a Rec teq. Their quality is second to none. Traeger really has just become a name. Joe traeger not too long ago was brought on and promoting another pellet smoker brand. And traeger got Butt hurt and sued because they are supposed to have ownership over the “traeger” name. It’s literally his name lol. I own a traeger but didn’t buy it…. It was given to me. And if I’m comparing it to the rec teq. I choose the recteq all day everyday. Save money and get a better quality pellet pooper

Recommend Rec Teq also. Awesome smokers, and support. I had a question about one of my probes. Sent an email and they responded within 30 mins with a video link to fix the issue.