Peloton 240 or similar

I’m going through my clothes for a backpack archery hunt next sept in Colorado and trying to nail down a mid weight piece to go over my merino 250 base. I like the thought of the 240 due to it being wind resistant and a fleece. I have a puffy for an insulated layer as well. Looking for options and opinions. Thanks and best wishes

Skeeter

FNG
I like the 240 as well. The Kutana Hybrid is similar in function, maybe a little warmer. I haven’t had the hybrid as long, but have been using them both for mid and outer layer purposes.

jfs82

WKR
Really like the 240, as an outer layer over a light base like the kuiu 118 I can sit still in the 50's. Moving I'm good to the low thirties. Under a soft shell I can sit colder than I've ever had to deal with out here in CA. I run pretty warm though.

crich

WKR
Its a slightly slimmer fit which is typical of kuiu. It has a stretch to it and doesnt feel restrictive to me at all. Its very quiet. You can think of it as a slightly rougher and denser sweat pant type material. Blocks wind pretty well all things considered. I wouldnt rely on it in a 20mph cold wind but it definitely cuts a breeze.

Jn78

Lil-Rokslider
I would say that the 250 merino base layer is overkill for most September days in Colorado. I strongly prefer a 150 weight. Regarding the 240, it is nice, but I almost always find myself reaching for an active insulation piece rather than my 240. I thought that I would really appreciate that the 240 was windproof. However, I typically have a lightweight waterproof shell in my pack and I end up using it for wind protection when necessary. I think the most efficient layering system is 150 weight merino base layer, active insulation layer, down jacket, and shell. Depending on conditions, I just add to or subtract from that basic system.

Stroke250

Lil-Rokslider
Add another vote for the 240. It did amazing at blocking wind this season here in Idaho. It fits nicely in my normal size(large) and has no noise in my opinion.

Love the 240. Used it for the first time this fall, and it's found a permanent place in my pack. Paired it with a 150 weight merino, and a puffy vest, and I was good for everything. Lows were in the upper 20's/lower 30's and highs were mid 40's to low 70's. Super quiet, and blocks wind great.

OutdoorAg

WKR
The only thing I’d put in the same warmth category as the 240 is the FL Klamath QZ. I actually think the Klamath is warmer. Maybe too warm if moving?

Also love the 240 over a base. My full zip 240 fits roomy enough to allow me room for the kenai ultra vest under neath.

The 240 is great for blocking the wind and is more durable than rain gear (which absolutely can be used to block wind). The 240 was never an insulation piece for me. If I needed warmth, I put on my insulation piece which could be Kenai, Super Down PRO, Super Down ULTRA, Peloton 200, or the Peloton 260 (depending on where I am and expected temperatures). No issues putting the 240 over them.

I do recommend going with the hooded version. It sucks having cold wind blowing down your neck.

I have a 240 vest I used with layers in temps from the high 30's to 60's. I wanted something to help block wind on my core and also act as mid layer warmth. I'm a L in Kuiu outer layers and find I can fit a mid layer and base under a L jacket comfortably. E.g. Kutana soft shell outer, Kenai/ultra down/240 as an insulating mid layer, and light to heavy base layer. My 240 is a L and it definitely fits more snug than KUIU's L outer layers. If I layer it, it needs to be next to the base layer. It gets a little to snug for my comfort trying to wear it over say the Kenai or Ultra Down jackets. I almost went to an XL (I've never had to size up with KUIU) so I could layer more comfortably under it. But decided I like it fitting close to my body to help with warmth and limit bulk when layered with other jackets.

OP
H
I appreciate all the replies, and it sounds like a good choice, I do have some other merino 150/200 type stuff to layer vs the 250 as well. What do you guys run for a hard shell? I bought the nomad barrier jacket last year and never wore it. It’s lightweight soft shell with a grid fleece but just never seemed to either be warm enough over the merino base or by itself. It does great at blocking the wind though but without a hood if kinda feels pointless to me.

Saving my pennies right now for some Alaska quality rain gear, but right now I am just running a Kuiu Axis jacket. For use in light to moderate rain where a guy isn't going to be in it for hours, it works great. Super good at cutting wind, and love having the pit zips. The thing is bombproof too. It is relatively warm. I'm still running it now as an every day jacket and it's been in the 10's-20's with nothing but a fleece underneath it.

I like the 240 as well. The Kutana Hybrid is similar in function, maybe a little warmer. I haven’t had the hybrid as long, but have been using them both for mid and outer layer purposes.
The hybrid over the 240 and a merino base is probably my favorite layering options. Comfy, warm, water resistant, and pretty dang wind proof.

I appreciate all the replies, and it sounds like a good choice, I do have some other merino 150/200 type stuff to layer vs the 250 as well. What do you guys run for a hard shell? I bought the nomad barrier jacket last year and never wore it. It’s lightweight soft shell with a grid fleece but just never seemed to either be warm enough over the merino base or by itself. It does great at blocking the wind though but without a hood if kinda feels pointless to me.
If KUIU, I like their Kutana soft shell. I had a Guide DCS jacket and sold it to fund a Kutana. The Guide is great but I needed something more durable for climbing trees, briars, thicker brush...The Kutana is a little less weight but also a little less warm than the Guide. The Guide is more quiet and the Kutana is more wind resistant. But neither enough to make me choose one over the other where durability was my deciding factor (then noise, warmth, wind resistance, weight in that order).

I like the 240 but the jetstream is better for wind and warmer. The new vuni vest I tried was also nice for wind

prm

WKR
I live in the 240. Fantastic piece! I’ve tested it on cold days riding my street bike. It allows zero wind through.

I wear an Aerowool base layer, the 240, then an Arc’teryx Atom puffy as necessary. I also have a Kifaru Lost Park Puffy for real cold. If it’s going to be warmer i
l wear a silkweight baselayer instead of the Aerowool.

Last edited: