Peloton 97 vs Military Waffle Top

cmat1120

FNG
Currently I run a merino base layer, military waffle top and then a puffy or thin soft shell. I have a 20% off coupon for my bday on kuiu and I was thinking of using it on the peloton 97 fleece zip-t to save some weight. I was wondering if anyone has any experience in how the two compare warmth wise or any other relevant factors. I already ordered the 97 bottoms for the zip off feature more than anything else, just want some feedback before buying the top as well.

Thank you

LightFoot

WKR
The 97 is great as a mid or base layer. Save some weight over the waffle, but may not be as warm.

I like the 97 paired with a lightweight merino base and the Kuiu Peloton 240 or Insulation, depending temperature and wind.

Beware, the 97 snags very easily. It doesn't like to bust brush.

>>>----JAKE----->

pods8 (Rugged Stitching)

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Beware, the 97 snags very easily. It doesn't like to bust brush.

This was going to be my warning as well. Save the 97 for the hunts where pack weight is a factor and brush thrashing isn't anticipated, otherwise pack a different fleece. Scrub oak destroyed my first 97 but I liked it enough to replace it but pack it per my recommendation above.

OP
C

cmat1120

FNG
I'm not too worried about busting brush as I recently got an OR ferrosi jacket which is basically a super light and thin soft shell. That will be my outer layer and protect whatever is underneath. I am surprised that the 97 isn't as warm as the waffle top, but I guess at a third of the weight I probably shouldn't be.

Vandy321

WKR
To echo the previous thoughts...the 97 is a an oven for how light it is...can hike in the teens with just it and a poly shirt...the hood and the weight is what sold me on it over my old mil stuff.

To me, no wind, the 97 is just as warm. The mil stuff does seem to cut wind just a tiny bit, cant say the same for the 97.

ChrisAU

WKR
I'll jump on, I love Peloton 97 stuff. I hiked in near zero temps with just it over a FL Wick 150 S/S tee and was fine. Warmth to weight is pretty unmatched in my experience. Not going to keep you warm when stationary but it does fine to keep the chill off hiking and dries super fast.

OP
C

cmat1120

FNG
Sounds like it should be perfect for me if the only two downsides are wind and brush as that outer layer should cover both of those. Appreciate the information everyone!

Norm555

WKR
I'm also a big fan of the peloton 97 and 240. The 97 does not have any wind resistance but is a great fleece, super lightweight but warm.