Peloton/NordicTrack/Studio cycling for Backcountry Training

OeauxMy

FNG
I just received one for the new year and am curious if anyone uses these bikes as a significant part of their trading regimen.

I can say after a few weeks of using it that I get a really good leg burn on the “climbing” intervals and really good cardio work as well.

Anyone else have experience in training for the back country with these, or tips on specific workout styles and intervals? As a flat lander, newbie to backcountry hunting, any feedback is appreciated!

OSUsmokey

Lil-Rokslider
I dont think it can hurt. My wife and I ordered one, but we wont get it unil Feb. I plan to use that for my cardio work along with training hikes occasionally.

Aoudaddy

Lil-Rokslider
Following, as I have been thinking about getting a Peloton as an addition to cardio/leg work for getting into sheep shape

Superdoo

WKR
Back in the day I used to ride mountain bike 20+ miles a day and a majority of that was single track.
My brother came back from basic training that summer. He decided to go biking with me. The dude was fit as hell.
He didn't make it ten miles.
The only thing we could think of was that all the rucking and marching he was doing didn't translate to the muscles used on the bike.

Take it for what it worth. I am no expert in PhysEd. Biking is definitely easier on a guys knees.

Top147

Lil-Rokslider
Great cardio for sure! The weighted wheel is definitely low-impact. Mix it up with a hike or a run and you will be shredded.

I went with a Keiser instead of the Peloton. It doesn’t come with a fancy screen but uses magnetic resistance without chain or belt. Absolute solid unit, I have had mine for 6 years now and doesn’t make a peep of noise while in use.

If you need that screen for motivation, a tablet and a hill climb video works just as well.

just try and keep that heat rate elevated and those beads of sweat dripping.

7layerburrito

Lil-Rokslider
Classified Approved
I use the Peloton for cardio training five times a week and if you push yourself the benefits are pretty dramatic. The major benefit I've found is recovery time -- I stop for five or ten seconds to catch my breath on the mountain and I'm good to go. I'd recommend a mix of climb rides and HIIT training.

Naturally this is is part of a mix of strength, weights, stretching and plain ol' weighted pack hikes.

REALLY try to focus on good bike posture with your weight all in your feet with a tight core and relaxed shoulders and hands and I suspect you'll be happy with the results.

If you get a bike and want some comraderie I'm 7layerburrito on Peloton.

Last edited:
I’ve had a peloton for about a year now. Worth it IMO I think its made a difference in hiking ability, endurance and recovery especially when 6+ months a year I’m hiking in a 100+ degrees

LostArra

WKR
My wife bought a peloton knock-off . We've ridden road bikes for decades and I used to race (crits, road race, TT). She (we) didn't need a video screen for workouts, ear bud music only.

My tolerance level for any indoor hamster wheels is very low. Riding a treadmill is the worst and strictly avoided but the bike or a rower for focused intense HIIT type workouts is an efficient use of time.

mmw194287

WKR
We bought a peloton early last year. The biggest benefit to me is that it's made a huge difference in my ability to fit in 60 minutes of cardio everyday, even if it isn't sport-specific.

The bike is sitting here right next to my desk. I don't have to worry about icy sidewalks, I don't have to go anywhere, I don't have to track down my running shoes to get on the treadmill or worry about pounding my knees and feet, I don't have to come up with a program or get motivated...I just hop on and choose a couple workouts and just do it.

I've got 1300+ minutes on it so far in January and I have a VERY hard time staying consistent with these things.

dyllanmurray

Lil-Rokslider
I just got my peloton this week after having ordered it in November. I was using a trainer bike
And the peloton app while I waited for the bike. The peloton bike is absolutely amazing. The classes are great. I find myself adding more resistance than what the class calls for to get a better workout in. I’m shedding excess weight like nobody’s business. 10/10 peloton is worth it if you use it!

EJDXT21

Lil-Rokslider
Just picked up a year old peloton bike from some good friends at a good price. Now that we have it, I figured I’d put it to good use to help prepare for Elk season. Couple of questions to the peloton users.

has or does anyone on here use the peloton without a membership and how are you riding? In other words do you sit, stand, and for how long, how much resistance etc. Do you use the three free classes?

For those with the membership, what classes do you recommend based on your experience, or what other suggestions/workouts do you have, and is it worth it?

Alegault

Lil-Rokslider
I stick to HIIT and hill climbs or anything from Alex T and Kendall.

On is it worth it- My wife’s work pays for it so take with a grain of salt but if she quit we would keep paying for it. The leaderboard and instructors are nice aids to pushing yourself, especially on busy/longer days when it can be hard to fit in a good workout.

EJDXT21

Lil-Rokslider

On is it worth it- My wife’s work pays for it so take with a grain of salt but if she quit we would keep paying for it. The leaderboard and instructors are nice aids to pushing yourself, especially on busy/longer days when it can be hard to fit in a good workout.
Thanks. I’m trying to figure out if my company is going to cover any of it. I like the idea of tracking the metrics and the live sessions. Also being able to do strength training and other workouts is neat too. We’ll probably try the membership out one way or another for a while.

pattimusprime22

Lil-Rokslider
If you end up paying for the membership I'd recommend the discover your power zones program. It has you test your functional threshold power(FTP) and works you through a few weeks of classes that build. All the power zone rides are based on your fitness level (FTP) and not wide ranges that fit anyone in the class, so I feel like it's a more structured.

Muleyczy

Lil-Rokslider

On is it worth it- My wife’s work pays for it so take with a grain of salt but if she quit we would keep paying for it. The leaderboard and instructors are nice aids to pushing yourself, especially on busy/longer days when it can be hard to fit in a good workout
Kendall alone is worth the price of admission

OP
O

OeauxMy

FNG
I believe I had some pretty good success training this way over the last year.

I would use some of the HIIT training from time to time if I really wanted to push. Most of the time however I wanted to target my aerobic heart rate zone for endurance. I’d put Netflix or something on and ride for an hour-hour and a half while staying at 70%-80% max Hr. I believe this really helped my endurance. The more I did it the more in control of my heart fate I was.

EJDXT21

Lil-Rokslider
Thank you. Tomorrow I'll be able to find out if my company will cover the cost. But it's looking like I'll be getting the membership regardless. We will at least try it out for a while but it seems really neat how everything works. I feel being able to track metrics will help me to push myself.