Peloton?

Trying to build a thought out system for our style of hunting. We do large scale deer drives in WV so everything is largely a compromise of not sweating to death vs freezing to death. Driving vs watching.

So far I’ve secured some 150 Black Ovis merino long sleeve base layer tops and some FL Aerowool 150 short sleeves.

I intend to buy a FL Solitude 2.0 jacket when my size becomes available.

So? Mid layers I am pretty sold on the idea of getting a few Peloton 200s without hood since the Solitude will. For days where the Solitude is overkill I thought a peloton 240 would be reasonable.

What’s everyone’s thoughts on a peloton 200 mid layer with a Solitude 2.0 jacker? How does the forum like the Peloton 240 as a top layer when conditions allow?

Ho5tile1

Lil-Rokslider
I love my 200 use it all the time under my Sitka jackets it breaths well to when on the move. For me it’s not real good if your static wind goes right through it but I like it as a mid layer or when active.. the 240 is the same way for me just a tad heavier. Others have said the 240 is good at cutting wind that’s just not been my experience. Good luck

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
Woodsonchris
Appreciate the feedback. The Solitude 2.0 is advertised to be windproof so the 200 sounds logical.

OP
Woodsonchris
The 240 I asked of because of its advertised windproof qualities since I likely wouldn’t wear it with the Solitude.

Smallie

Lil-Rokslider
I’ve had the opposite experience with the 240 I think it is great with wind resistance. It’s noticeably better at bucking the wind than my softshell and I wear it riding the ATV all the time as an outer layer. Also wear it as an outer layer in a treestand until it gets down below 45 degrees. The 200 does not really have a place in my system as I think the 97 and the 240 combined is warm enough for me. I would not wear the 200 as an outer layer so I only wear it casually now

STL

FNG
I’ve found the 240 to be very good at cutting the wind for what it is and as good as or better than some soft shells. It’s no stratus/Jetstream/axis though. The solitude is not windproof (the sanctuary is) and I wear the 240 under it pretty much all the time because of that. My preferred set up is wick, furnace, 240, solitude when stationary.

Have you thought about a puffy, like the FL unc or Kelvin lite? That way you can pack it up when moving to prevent overheating and toss it on when you stop. I would sweat too much moving in the solitude after a little while unless it was really really cold.

OP
Woodsonchris
Pardon me I stand corrected. The Sanctuary 2.0 is what I intend to secure.

Ho5tile1

Lil-Rokslider
Maybe I’m just a sissy but my 240 260 and 280 strong fleece don’t stop crap as far as wind goes same with my boss. Everyone else says it cuts the wind pretty good maybe I got a bad one from kuiu lol. When I’m in a tree in the afternoon and it’s warm then the sun dips behind the trees and the wind picks up some times I get cold and will toss on my 240 or the others and yea it helps cause it’s a layer on me but when the wind blows it just cuts right through it on mine and when I say wind I mean 10 mph ish nothing crazy. I did order them in solid colors and use them around town and church as well.

Maybe I’m just a sissy but my 240 260 and 280 strong fleece don’t stop crap as far as wind goes same with my boss. Everyone else says it cuts the wind pretty good maybe I got a bad one from kuiu lol. When I’m in a tree in the afternoon and it’s warm then the sun dips behind the trees and the wind picks up some times I get cold and will toss on my 240 or the others and yea it helps cause it’s a layer on me but when the wind blows it just cuts right through it on mine and when I say wind I mean 10 mph ish nothing crazy. I did order them in solid colors and use them around town and church as well.

I agree 100%! I have said the same thing about my 240 since the day I got it. It is an expensive glorified sweatshirt. I bought it because it was supposed to be windproof. It is not!

It is one of my favorite pieces but it isn’t remotely windproof!

How many are saying product X isn’t wind proof because they are feeling the cold “press” against the it skin (no insulation) rather than actually have wind go through the product?

Only bring it up since some products folks have said actually aren’t wind resistant or windproof, I’ve had great success cutting the wind. But when wearing those same garments only with a short sleeve shirt or very lightweight long sleeve shirt, it does seem like the wind is coming in. But it was due to cold fabric touching my skin and not because the wind all of a sudden is blowing through it.

It’s very easy to test your “wind resistant” or “wind proof” gear. Open the garment up and hang it. Setup a box fan and blow it against the outside of your garment. On the inside of the garment, hold a 6” piece of string. What’s it doing?

Ho5tile1

Lil-Rokslider
Good point AZ_hunter I will try that out…

I agree 100%! I have said the same thing about my 240 since the day I got it. It is an expensive glorified sweatshirt. I bought it because it was supposed to be windproof. It is not!

It is one of my favorite pieces but it isn’t remotely windproof!

It does not say windproof anywhere on their webpage for the peloton 240. It says wind and water resistant.

It's a bonded fleece, there is no membrane in there to prevent wind from passing through.

If guys want something to be windproof, it needs to have a textile that can limit air movement and fleece is not that material. Gore windstopper or similar is what you should be looking for.

It does not say windproof anywhere on their webpage for the peloton 240. It says wind and water resistant.

It's a bonded fleece, there is no membrane in there to prevent wind from passing through.

If guys want something to be windproof, it needs to have a textile that can limit air movement and fleece is not that material. Gore windstopper or similar is what you should be looking for.

8e8d3c5586e21fbc72786997bca8a825.jpg

I would still disagree with the wording wind resistant.

Like I said I like the jacket very much but it is neither a cold weather jacket unless you are really pushing the pace and working up a significant sweat or layering above and below it. The wind resistance is about the same as a standard heavy weight cotton sweatshirt I would wear in cool weather.

I have a heavy weight UA thermal, a heavy sweatshirt, the 240 and a Berber fleece lined Carhart Vest over it in this pick.

196bb97b8f3a741503a8444d8b5550a7.jpg

STL

FNG
The 240 is not advertised as wind proof. It’s a lightweight fleece that is wind resistant. It does a really good job at blocking wind for what it is and for not being a jacket. I like it when stationary as an in between when it’s chilly and windy, but before a heavier jacket is needed, as a fleece mid layer when it’s cold, and as an outer for moving in cold gusty weather. Everyone is different, but it’s a good piece imo and worth a shot to see if it works for you.

Gbrecka

Lil-Rokslider
Pardon me I stand corrected. The Sanctuary 2.0 is what I intend to secure.
The sanctuary is a heavy jacket…I have one for Midwest tree stand sitting…I’m not covering much ground, and can’t wear it on the walk in…I’d get a Sitka jetstream and pack a puffy jacket for when you are on stand

Ho5tile1

Lil-Rokslider

I know it’s not and I know it don’t say that on there web site. Lots of guys say it is a good wind breaker not like the stratus of course. So I was just saying it’s never helped me with wind..

prm

WKR
I find the 240 Peleton excellent in the wind. There’s not a lot of insulation so you can feel the cold material, but the wind does not go through. Even tested this and others using a fan and wind checkers. …or riding a motorcycle in the cold. You’ll know right away which layers block wind!