Pendleton stocks

Justin Crossley

Administrator
Staff member
This stock company has been brought up a few times now in different threads. Without making this a bashing thread, I would like to hear about personal experiences with these stocks.

OP
Justin Crossley

Justin Crossley

Administrator
Staff member
That's interesting. I've had nothing but good interaction with him so far. He's making a stock for my carbon Tikka right now, so we'll see how it turns out. I will also note that he had no problem putting a stock on a rifle someone else built.

The negative feedback I've seen in a few places now is all that's kept me from ordering one myself. Unfortunately it's the only aftermarket x-bolt stock I know of. I would really like to hear some first hand positive feedback from fellow Roksliders before I pull the trigger.

Clarktar

WKR
In the end I did not get a stock from him. This was because the particular rifle I sent him was not compatible with his stock, I can not recall the reason. But he was great to deal with. I actually had shipped him the rifle, along with a handgun as partial payment for a stock. We talked for several months, and I always felt he dealt with me in a friendly professional manner. Once he figured out that rifle I sent him was not going to work, he shipped back the rifle and handgun free of charge.

So, I can not attest to using his stocks, but based on my interaction he was a pleasure to deal with. I guess this is more of a quasi character reference then a reference for his stocks or smithing abilities.

bradb

WKR
I agree Clarktar that is exactly the way he sounds. Of course when the only top barrel maker name he ever thought he heard of was Lilja I should have just read the writing on the wall. Don't really think anyone truly into high end guns and shooting has not at least heard of there competition. Like I said I do like the stock, its a little heavier then stated but not much. The painting of the stock is very good, the metal that was supposed to be coated is coated good. Now I didn't dig into my stock to find what might not be there like the other posted did, pretty easy to cover things with a little bedding and paint. The bedding was about like my first attempt at bedding, sucked, I ground mine out right away and started over. He just claimed that every one except him didnt' know shit. The stuff he did to the barrel and chamber and the way he said to handle it was a joke. I will never give him a red cent again. But in the end with a little work of your own to fix what he did on the stock you can end up with a stock that I do like

GKPrice

Banned
Justin - what I just read posted by bradb is pretty much the same story I was told by the late owner of MPI Stocks in Portland (Doc) I just the other day learned of Doc's passing but his daughter is now running the business as she worked for and with Doc since she was old enough to - MPI is still very much in business and I "PERSONALLY" would go to MPI as I've had their stocks before and I've seen "the other" up close and personal and was not impressed with any of the firearm, including it's accuracy -

AXEL

WKR
I am VERY sorry to read of Doc's demise, my second Dakota 76-.338WM was fitted with one of his stocks in addition to the fancy "marblecake" wooden one at the factory and I REALLY like this stock.

I spoke with Doc several times over more than 20 years, he was always friendly and took the time to talk with me about various unusual rifles/projects I had/have, the last was my old Sako Finnwolf, which I decided to sell rather than restock as I am really a "Mauser guy".

If, I do build again, unlikely due to age, health and too many fine rifles on hand, I will buy at least one more MPI, that Dakota Classic really works for me and the CZ-550 model he builds for Wayne at AHR is also my type of handle.

The good really do seem to go too soon, eh?

GKPrice

Banned
Doc was a good guy and as honest as they come - I livoed about a 1/2 mile from him for near 10 years - He died while in Hawaii surfing, which was his passion - An aortic tear started it when he came in from some very rough ocean conditions complaining of light headedness then chest pains - long delays getting to a fairly simple clinic then the hospital surely added to his demise BUT he was doing what he truly loved to do and family was doing it with him - I've always said that if "they" find me face down on a hillside with an elk quarter in one of my meat packs they ALL can be assured I too left doing ONE thing I loved (even if I cussed alot when doing it) Doc was very close to my age and THAT is way too soon to depart

bradb

WKR
Sorry to hear about Doc. Got one of his sitting at my smith right now. I guess at least he died out doing what he loved

mtluckydan

Lil-Rokslider
Late to this thread, but I have two rifles completed by Wayne and can only say good things. Both were on Remington Model 7 actions with Benchmark barrels and Pendleton Stocks. One stock is the lightweight mountain version and the finished rifle is less than six pounds with scope. It will shoot five shots under an inch if I do my part. The second is with a slightly heavier stock, but what I would still consider light. It is a 260 with a 22 inch benchmark barrel and it shoots well under an inch. Everything has been completed as said and I would not hesitate to have Wayne build my next rifle. I am planning on a thumb hole stock on a Remington 700 in 243 for long range predators.

GKPrice

Banned
The negative feedback I've seen in a few places now is all that's kept me from ordering one myself. Unfortunately it's the only aftermarket x-bolt stock I know of. I would really like to hear some first hand positive feedback from fellow Roksliders before I pull the trigger.

MPI Stocks in Portland OR - that is where Pendelton Stocks "got his start" (ahem ...)

OP
Justin Crossley

Justin Crossley

Administrator
Staff member
As I assumed, most feedback is third party, and very little first hand experience. I will do a full review for those that are interested after I get the stock and as time permits.

OP
Justin Crossley

Justin Crossley

Administrator
Staff member
Late to this thread, but I have two rifles completed by Wayne and can only say good things. Both were on Remington Model 7 actions with Benchmark barrels and Pendleton Stocks. One stock is the lightweight mountain version and the finished rifle is less than six pounds with scope. It will shoot five shots under an inch if I do my part. The second is with a slightly heavier stock, but what I would still consider light. It is a 260 with a 22 inch benchmark barrel and it shoots well under an inch. Everything has been completed as said and I would not hesitate to have Wayne build my next rifle. I am planning on a thumb hole stock on a Remington 700 in 243 for long range predators.

Thanks for the report.

I did a bunch of research on after market stocks and read a lot of bad about MPI stocks also. I think people like to complain more on the Internet the praise.

That being said I was still going to use MPI 😄

GKPrice

Banned
I did a bunch of research on after market stocks and read a lot of bad about MPI stocks also. I think people like to complain more on the Internet the praise.

That being said I was still going to use MPI ��
what "bad" have you to share ? I'm totally interested as Doc was a good friend - His daughter has taken over the helm and she is NOT a newbie at MPI let me assure you - that said, ANYTHING can happen in cases like this - Doc didn't do his own work and if there has been a change "in the guard" then we need to know about it out here in "consumer land" - time moves on and things change ....I was a long time friend of Doc but he is gone now - stuff changes - change in the constant in life - MPI was never "fast" and never "cheap" but the stocks I had done were done right, never failed in MID hunt, accuracy was always at least as good as pre MPI - the nice thing about being in America is that we have the right to give our business to whomever we want to and whoa is the person who shakes a finger at that right

It was internet chatter. I used google so maybe you can find the same complaints. And they were from a year or more ago when I was doing all the research. Its not first hand so I can't say yay or nay.

weatherbow21

Lil-Rokslider
Where did you end up with this Justin? I'm in the middle of trying to build a rifle as light as possible, had no idea there were stocks out there as light as 16oz...

OP
Justin Crossley

Justin Crossley

Administrator
Staff member
I'm still waiting for my Pendleton stock to show up. I still can't speak to the fit or quality of their stocks until I have some time with it.

For your build, I would also look at Christensen Arms as well as Pendleton.

These stocks are made from top quality carbon and will be available for Tikka actions soon. I will personally be trying one of these on my next build for sure.

http://www.christensenarms.com/product-category/components/tier-1-stocks/