Penetration, a product of many factors

I’ve tried heavy RF arrows and light little kid arrows. Ive tried broadheads from 100 gr to 300 grains. Ive obsessed over all the acronyms: FPS, FOC, GPI, GPS, ED, AARP, you name it.

Ive watched every YouTube personality, trolled every forum from Archery Talk to Saddle Hunter to Rokslide to Farmers Only and even Only Fans. Everyone had an opinion on arrow builds (the latter was more where to put them…).

Heres what i found the best arrow setup is to use on game: None of them…

All my shots of all my builds never had a pass thru ever…

because I have been spending so much time testing and googling and youtubing and debating on forums i forgot to go hunting.

But once i finally get that perfect arrow build; the one that passes the back yard tests and opinions of everyone on the internet, I’ll go try to kill something.

The internet forums have said each of my arrow builds so far might not work; there either too heavy and won’t fly, or too light and won’t penetrate, or too balanced and won’t win an argument.

The dude at my bow shop - whose built and sold bows for 20+ years, and all of his trophies hang on the wall - said my 340 spine 420 gr arrow with a 125gr head would kill damn near everything I hunted, because apparently, he tuned my bow and got me shooting bullets and splitting carbon at 20 yards.

No way he knows what he’s talking about…

He’s not an eye doctor, or a respiratory therapist, or a supplement brand ambassador!

He doesn’t have a YouTube channel, or a podcast, or his name on any archery product!

He doesn't even proclaim he’s an expert when I listen to him!! In fact, he has said, “now, I’m no Dudley but…” then proceeds to offer tips and makes adjustments that help me shoot better.

So, he can’t know what he’s doing…

So, I must find a better arrow setup…

And when that day finally comes,

I’ll finally get off the internet…

…and go hunting.

The moral of the story is, it’s October. If your posting more about arrow setups than grip and grins then you are missing out on the point of all this. Hit the bullseye and then just go hunt!!

Sample size, roughly 30 shots or so a week with this group over two months.
Friction difference, aluminum vs weaved bare carbon. You can feel the difference both on pulling and by running them through a gripped hand. Its significant enough a scale would read it.
Static spine, they are the same spine from the factory. I shoot through paper at about 8 feet, 12 yards or so. In flight its 125 vs 175 (as well as a third group with 150 up front. for these tests) So in flight is "Paper good"
Penn numbers. I never even bothered to put a ruler on it. It was so consistent there was no need. Outside an arrow hitting the odd soft spot the results were the same every time. FMJ 125, Axis with 175 up front. Axis with 150s and lock washer up front.
Points. In the picture the fmj has a huge 125 kudu field point that stops pen in foam. The axis has a 100g. I also used bullet points.
I actually posted this test elsewhere in greater depth. The results are repeatable to a fault. I got called out on the fmj being a 3 fletch (done to keep the weight even) and built a 4 fletch to repeat the test in case it was an issue with friction in flight or spinning. Made zero difference.
Short version i built three sets of arrows to be the same weight with three different broadheads (Turkey, deer, moose) And did this test while shooting them over a couple months. Then i chewed up one foam target doing broadhead tests for poi.
(pic arrow is a little crusty it was thrown together only for the test)
Again they do not act the same pushing weight in a canvas field bag. It is near impossible to get a fair comparison but pushing folded cloth the 150s seem to have the edge. But again, thats near impossible to say 100% and is prob close to the odds of a coin flip.
Your test methodology seems pretty sound. The question remains does penetration of field points into foam have any meaningful correlation to penetration of broadheads into animals? My guess is probably not.

Please forgive me, but I did not read all 46 post ahead of this.

I bought a new Ventum 30 this past spring and have been doing a lot of listening and reading to guys on arrow set ups and weights all summer long. Higher TAW only makes sense to me. Rifle guys are always looking for a heavier bullet for knock down but also to penetrate through tissue and bone. Why not set our arrows up the same?

I shot a deer just a few nights ago. My set up is shooting an 26-1/4” Easton FMJ 340 spine arrow with a 75 grain insert, a 150 grain single bevel Cutthroat broadhead, factory vanes and a nocturnal lighted nock. The TAW is 578 grains. The arrow passed right through the shoulder blade and cut cleanly through 2 rib bones.

Now that is on a whitetail. I understand animals like elk and pigs have much more bone mass. I really set this arrow up to eventually hunt elk. The the way this arrow zipped through this deer, I have high confidence in this arrow set up for bigger game.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
I wonder which manufacture will list this first....
When the Trophy Ridge Arrows came out about 14 years ago, one of their "marketing points" was a "new slick coating".......whoopty do. Well, that new slick coating had a mirror shine to it that reflected light just like a mirror as well. The first thing I did to the arrow shafts was put them in my drill chuck, and then sand that sheen off with 600 grit silicone carbide paper. Worked like a champ. Even though they discontinued them, those TR Crush arrows are still my favorite over everything else I've shot over the years......but without that slick coating. Just a lot of work to get them to where I want them.

Stalker69

WKR
Friction from both shaft material and diameter following a broadhead though an animal? You really feel like you can quantify that in a foam block? Sorry buddy, appreciate the effort but the test is way off base. You have so many variables and possible outliers that quite frankly it’s silly to even hint at any type of conclusive results.
Yea, no way foam is a good indicator, the foam has a melting point. A light fast arrow may reach that point, causing more friction. Then a heavier slower arrow of the same shaft dia. Once the broad head cuts the path in the hide, friction ( if the animal does not move, which most do) will be lessened by the moisture ( blood and body fluids) even to the extent of it becoming lubrication, decreasing the resistance of the shaft following the head through. A broad head opens a much bigger path then a field tip also, decreasing the shaft drag even more so.