People flaking on you?

Anyone else have issues with people flaking on you when you plan a hunting trip? It gets really discouraging and I've had it happen more than once. You plan a hunting trip with someone and they seem genuinely excited to go. You plan it, everyone gets time off work and then the week before you are supposed to go they all of a sudden disappear. Does this happen a lot or is it just me? I hate hunting alone but unfortunately it is my only choice. I wish there was like an app or something to connect with other actual hunters lol. Anyways just venting. I'm supposed to go elk hunting for 5 days next weekend and the person I was supposed to go with just up and vanished. Tempted to not go because I'm not sure how I'm supposed to get an elk off the mountain by myself but I already have the time off work.

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

RMM

WKR

OP
D
Well I guess it's good to know it isn't just me. It is just so discouraging.

I'll sadly probably never go on a big trip with someone unless they approach me or they're family. I've had enough bad experiences with buddies on flaking out on duck hunts 30 miles down the road there's just no way I'd have faith in them for a backcountry out of state trip.

Sent from my SM-G996U1 using Tapatalk

Tradchef

WKR
I hunt solo and will always hunt solo. I don’t get much time off like most guys do and I’m damn sure not going to squander it from someone else’s cold feet or whatever it is. Hunting solo allows me to blame no one else but myself

go_deep

WKR
Think I've packed 9 elk solo off the mountain, just do it one load at a time.
Go hunt, good luck!!

Last edited:
OP
D
I guess at least I know there isn't something wrong with me. Seems pretty common. I wonder what people's issue is and why they say they want to go if they really dont.

PNWGATOR

WKR
Just GO!

You learn a lot about people through the course of life…don’t let it temper your outlook on humanity as there truly are a lot of damn fine friends in the world.

DIYer

FNG
I guess at least I know there isn't something wrong with me. Seems pretty common. I wonder what people's issue is and why they say they want to go if they really dont.

I was suppose to leave yesterday for Colorado and my buddies cancelled Thursday night. I spent a lot of time planning and e scouting. We decided to bow hunt this year instead of rifle like we normally do, I was just going to call for them this year. They both already had bows and we agreed one person would not get a tag and we would switch off every year.

I don't have a bow set up so I won't be getting a tag this year. I have too much time invested not to go so I was just going to turn it into a scouting trip for next year. If you still want to go I would definitely come help you try to get one.

sometimes life gets in the way, my 95 yr old mother is alittle more important than driving 40 hrs to hunt in the smoke

OP
D
sometimes life gets in the way, my 95 yr old mother is alittle more important than driving 40 hrs to hunt in the smoke
I get that, but just say that. This person just totally ghosted me....he could be dead for all I know (I know he isn't, he is my brother in law and my wife talks to his wife daily almost). I get life happens and nothing can change that but don't just disappear off the face of the earth.

I get that, but just say that. This person just totally ghosted me....he could be dead for all I know (I know he isn't, he is my brother in law and my wife talks to his wife daily almost). I get life happens and nothing can change that but don't just disappear off the face of the earth.

yeah, if i cant go, i just man up and tell em,only right thing to do,sorry about the ghosting that is truly lame, well, now ,you know who not to call

DIYer

FNG

What state did you plan on going to?

grfox92

WKR
I was a whitetail hunter for the last 20 years and I did all of that hunting alone. I had close friends that we talked every day about the hunting, the deer we were after and where we were going, but it was an individual endeavor for each of us.

Now I live out west and its definitely better to have another guy or a few guys for things like elk and mule deer.

I have a thread in the Elk forum about hunting alone in grizzly country. I had 5+ guys swear up and down that they would be in the mountains every weekend with me chasing bugling bulls, guys went out and bought new bows and everything. Now here I am 12 days into the season and have only had 1 guy come with me 1 time. The rest always have an excuse, are too busy, haven't tuned their broadheads, the girlfriend made plans this weekend. It not me, they aren't hunting with out me, they just aren't hunting.

I went solo for the first time today and walked into a choke cherry patch that was full of bear shit. When i got to a pile that was literally still hot and wet, I headed back to the truck. If I had someone with me I would have left the trail and gained elevation and just walked around that berry filled creek bottom. But Im not in an area where there MIGHT be a chance of seeing bears, I am in an area where there are bears in every drainage.

So that leaves me not hunting alone, but just not hunting, or having to travel to hunt which is not why I moved here.

So I understand your frustration. It might take some time for me to find guys who actually want to hunt and put in the same amount of effort as me, but that will not help me this season.

grfox92

WKR

A good friend of mine said it best. He calls them Bar Stool Planners. They get a few drinks in them and make all these big plans, but when they sober up they are a different person. Beer goggles arent only for taking home ugly girls, they can make you say a lot of stuff you usually wouldnt.

Alcohol isnt the only thing that causes this phenomena though, when guys are talking about stuff thats months away its real easy to talk a big game until its go time. Then the reality of the situation sinks in, the time, the effort, the money. I find that most guys just plain old dont prioritize hunting the way some of us do. If I wake up in the morning and am not feeling it, I still go hunt, and I never regret it.