People who have successfully been granted permission to hunt a strangers land, how did you do it?

Coffindaffer

Lil-Rokslider
So I've always considered trying to get permission to hunt a strangers land. Especially on the outskirts of suburban Atlanta where my friends live.

I can get the land owners information off of OnX or other public record, but Ive never thought about how to actually address them to possibly get permission to hunt their land

Curious as to how others have successfully gone about this?

So I've always considered trying to get permission to hunt a strangers land. Especially on the outskirts of suburban Atlanta where my friends live.

I can get the land owners information off of OnX or other public record, but Ive never thought about how to actually address them to possibly get permission to hunt their land

I've pulled into their driveway with a pickup and trailer load of split red fir firewood , and offered up a trade! I've fixed fence and helped sort calves or offered to help with other chores.

GSPHUNTER

WKR
Approach them in a polite manner and explain your desire to access their land. then they deny your request remain polite. Here in Cal. nothing works. I have made many request and have got everything from, I'm sorry but no. to get off my property these are my animals. the one time I did get permission was when I was working on a farm in central Cal installing large drive in cooler boxes. He allowed turkey and dove hunting but no deer or pig hunting with firearms. He took issue with rifle hunting, it was a safety issue.

Do: Send a letter. Tell them about yourself. Your experience as a hunter. What you want from them (mature bucks only, bow only, etc.). What you are willing to do for them in exchange (money, chores that the landowner may want you to do, meat from harvests).

Don't: Knock on their door and put them on the spot. Write the letter to them as if they don't know what wildlife they have on their land. Assume they or their family or someone else is not hunting the land.

I own land South of Atlanta and get 3-4 letters per year. As a courtesy, I always reply to them via phone, text, or email and explain to them that I hunt it myself...that's why I own it.

Good luck to you though.....I would lead with the money. Most folks out in the country can do chores themselves, but if you wave a few thousand dollars to them, that might get their attention. Chances are their nephews or cousins or handyman or whoever is already hunting it, but they probably aren't paying so that's how you get it leased.

Muddler

Lil-Rokslider
Like others have said, just go knock on the door and be polite. Also, don't it dressed in camo...that can be off putting to some land owners, look presentable.

I always take a note card with me to give to them if I'm granted permission with my name, cell #, address, vehicle make/model/color and plate number. That way they can get in touch with you or recognize your vehicle if they see it parked on their property.

wapitibob

WKR
Buddy had an antelope tag and sent me the waypoint where he was going to set up the blind.
Umm, you're on private land...
so n so said I could hunt it
Yea, I'll call the landowner...

Landowner was friendly as could be, gave permission and mentioned nobody had ever called. I have had sole permission to hunt or grant hunt access to that property for years. They have never asked for anything but I take them Elk and Antelope every year.

jmez

WKR
I would knock on the doore and ask. Different strokes for different folks. Best to do it before the season, not during. Be polite and always thank them for their time, no matter the answer you get or how rude they are.

Wetwork

Lil-Rokslider
As a landowner.....

Do not show up during season in camo asking to shoot something. Months ahead of time show up clean cut, zero camo. I will glance in your rig that you show up in to see if you are a slob. Do not tell me it's your kids first hunt, I don't care and have heard that one a million times. Any permission I grant is for you and you alone, unless otherwise arranged. You will check in and check out each visit, and during the hunts. Myself and family all hunt so we will be getting first wack...you'll be called immedately upon the tags for the family being filled. Once upon a time when hunters had respect and hunting wasn't a drinking game we were much more liberal. Now a day's, I want references. Blame $hitbag hunters with no respect, not me. Just because I have miles of front and backyard doesn't mean its not my yard, every inch of it. I wouldn't be disrespectful in your house or yard, so don't be that way in mine. You are basically asking premission to enter my house and walk around my backyard shooting the animals I happily watch everyday. It's a circle of trust deal, pretty much now the only folks we let in the circle have been with us for years and well vetted.-WW

ps. I will alway's treat you with respect and honesty, same as I want to be treated. If you knocked something down and it expired on my place I will gladly help you get it as long as you can prove it got hit off my place. I'm a really down to earth nice guy.

Last edited:
You have to just start asking, and be polite, check with landowners, farmers, etc. Somebody always knows someone. It's a numbers game, if 9 of 10 people say no, then ask 10 people. Ask 20, if you want 2 spots.
I my case years ago, a woman said no, her family are hunters. I thanked her and as I walked away, she stopped me and said, she was impressed that I asked, instead of just trespass and she had a friend with a horse farm. I got the info. and it paid off.

The horse farm lady trained horses for show, apparently they all have ADD. Deer would distract the horses so bad, she wanted all the deer dead! Now! I was a hired killer for her! Archery only, horses were afraid of guns. This works for years. There's always a brother-in-law that gets the news and wants in.

eddielasvegas

WKR & Chairman of the Rokslide Welcoming Committee
Classified Approved
In AZ, I think you have to have written permission to hunt private land.

Does anyone know for sure?

Eddie

Smallie

Lil-Rokslider
Never wear camo when going to knock on the door. I always do it after work wearing my office clothes, truck stays clean, etc. Be up front about how you hunt and offer them a piece of the pie. All of my landowners get venison at the end of the year. One wants a full deer so the first doe I shoot gets butchered, cut, and wrapped then delivered to them. Whenever I am in town I offer to do work around their property, stop by to chat and visit, and offer fishing spots or reports. Developing somewhat of a relationship with them year round outside of hunting has kept me with sole permission to hunt their properties for years now. It really ramped up after we put in a well at the cabin and offered them to come get water whenever they want in exchange for hunting opportunities. Its also always a lot easier if its just yourself and maybe one other person you are asking permission for, not you and 5 buddies. I have written up small contracts in the past that we both signed with both of party's desires out of the deal and I waived liability in case I got hurt on their property and that seemed to help as well.

Justin Crossley

Administrator
Staff member
We drive to the area we want to hunt months before the season. As mentioned above, don't show up the day before the season decked out in camo. Don't try to bother the farmers during the middle of harvest.

It has taken 20 years for my buddy and me to get access to hunt in some cases. Most of the time we can get permission to hunt coyotes and maybe pheasants first and after a couple of years of building a good relationship, we get to hunt deer and/or elk if the farmer doesn't hunt themselves. Sending Christmas cards and thank-you notes with photos seems to be very well received after you get access for the first time.

We've never paid (except for WY) but we have offered to lease the land in some cases. Sometimes we bring gifts of smoked salmon or a favorite drink.

GSPHUNTER

WKR
In AZ, I think you have to have written permission to hunt private land.

Does anyone know for sure?

Eddie
Last I heard if it's private but not properly posted you are legal to hunt it. There are posting requirements the land owner must follow if they do not want any hunting or trespassing. But, if you can find the owner that would still be your best approach.

KHNC

WKR

I assume you have, but if not, go to YouTube and search SEEK ONE. They do exactly what you are wanting to do in the exact areas. I would think from their popularity, they have ruined the opportunity for most areas by now. Im sure all kinds of people have the same idea. They killed a 180" whitetail on the opener last month.

eddielasvegas

WKR & Chairman of the Rokslide Welcoming Committee
Classified Approved
Last I heard if it's private but not properly posted you are legal to hunt it. There are posting requirements the land owner must follow if they do not want any hunting or trespassing. But, if you can find the owner that would still be your best approach.
You are correct, sir!

Just called G&F and the nice lady told me that verbal permission is okay. Written is better, of course, but verbal is lawful.

She also mentioned it's on the hunter to ensure the property is not posted.

Eddie

SteveTX

Lil-Rokslider
I used letters and it has been successful.

Scouted up 20+ properties within a 30 minute drive from the house using GE and our local CAD office. Sent out letters to owners with introduction, what I was looking for, and what I could offer in return. Probably got 7 responses, including 1 yes. Met the owner at the property, he lives in town, and discussed the arrangements.

Now I have a honey hole 5 mins down the road and he doesn’t charge me. He is very active in restoring native vegetation, and doesn’t like all the deer eating their share of his hard work, hence, he uses me as his deer management tool. Win Win.

Full disclosure, I got the idea from an old MeatEater podcast several years ago and tracked down the template. Happy to share if interested, shoot me a message.