Percheron for hunting/ mountain trail riding?

IDspud

Lil-Rokslider
Is a Percheron going to do ok for mountain hunting and general trail riding? Looking at getting a horse very soon and love these guys, but if a quarter horse is going to be 100x times better than I will avoid them. I want to be able to pack in 2-3 days (minimal gear) for hunting and back country camping in the mountains. I understand if I want to pack out game I will need a second horse/mule or be making many trips.

Also curious how they do in snow. How much snow is too much to safely go out in?

Last edited:
OP
IDspud

IDspud

Lil-Rokslider
A buddy called me and said they're using them up in the mountains to log and pull timber over long distances even in snow up to the riders feet. He said I wouldn't need a second horse to pack out gear or meat at all. Does this sound correct? One person said great horse for it, another said terrible.

My uncle has a Percheron X that he rides and packs (mostly packs now). The gelding is slower than molasses but has been a good horse for him

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The disposition is good I hear. From what I have seen they are a little tall. I have found 15 to 15-1h to be about right. They might be able to pack meat but you will find packing quarters will move too much and be rough on the horse.

I have a friend with a percheron cross and he seems ok but I will stick with my morgans and saddlebred for speed.

OP
IDspud

IDspud

Lil-Rokslider
The disposition is good I hear. From what I have seen they are a little tall. I have found 15 to 15-1h to be about right. They might be able to pack meat but you will find packing quarters will move too much and be rough on the horse.

I have a friend with a percheron cross and he seems ok but I will stick with my morgans and saddlebred for speed.
Why is speed desirable in this type of horse? Being new to horses the thought of going fast on any of them of a mountain doesn’t sound appealing.

I watched some YouTube woman who exclusively uses draft horses for trail riding and she said that her horse is usually at the front before too long because all the smaller faster ones tire quicker and the stride so big on hers it covers more ground

CRJR45

WKR
Why is speed desirable in this type of horse? Being new to horses the thought of going fast on any of them of a mountain doesn’t sound appealing.

I watched some YouTube woman who exclusively uses draft horses for trail riding and she said that her horse is usually at the front before too long because all the smaller faster ones tire quicker and the stride so big on hers it covers more ground
New to horses ? Don't bother in my experience , if you don't know horses , the mountain is not the place to learn . Lot's to learn before you go up a mountain , again , just my advice .

wyosteve

WKR
I rode a Percheron on a hunt years ago and it was a good horse. Snow was knee deep on me and it did just fine. Generally good dispositions.

I like to cover 12- 20 miles a day. A brisk pace and a smooth ride makes the hunt pleasurable and effective. That's my primary objective. Packing is usually with me walking - no rush. Especially for only a couple elk per year.

OP
IDspud

IDspud

Lil-Rokslider
New to horses ? Don't bother in my experience , if you don't know horses , the mountain is not the place to learn . Lot's to learn before you go up a mountain , again , just my advice .
I will immediately be doing training and lessons as soon as I decide on which horse to get. I don’t plan on racing up to the mountains alone with him as soon as I get him

OP
IDspud

IDspud

Lil-Rokslider
I like to cover 12- 20 miles a day. A brisk pace and a smooth ride makes the hunt pleasurable and effective. That's my primary objective. Packing is usually with me walking - no rush. Especially for only a couple elk per year.
That’s what sounds good to me. Sorry I’m not understanding why the speed thing comes into play. Would a Percheron not be able to keep a brisk pace? or sustain one that long?

Glad to hear about their capabilities and snow. That saves me from having to buy a snowmobile again.

I did read that riding a Percheron is like riding a big couch and the longer stride makes it a little more pushy in the saddle than some thing like quarter horse.

Going to check out what’s available at the ranch tomorrow or the next day. Hopefully I can get on one and see how it feels to me. Not even sure I can get one without having to wait a long time.

Ucsdryder

WKR
I will immediately be doing training and lessons as soon as I decide on which horse to get. I don’t plan on racing up to the mountains alone with him as soon as I get him
Heed the advice given. Horses are very dangerous. Even a good horse. Also, don’t forget the costs. For 90% of guys renting a horse 1x a year is a way better option. Horse, tack, trailer, FEED, etc. A good horse is like a good dog, they just don’t live long enough. Spend 10k on a GOOD horse, buy a trailer and tack and Feed the hungry bastard 12 months a year…500 to rent on for a week is CHEAP!!!

I’d go through at least a season on a rented horse. They’re usually ridden hard and know the routine. They’re generally safer than your grass eater that gets ridden a few times before hitting the trails.

OP
IDspud

IDspud

Lil-Rokslider
Heed the advice given. Horses are very dangerous. Even a good horse. Also, don’t forget the costs. For 90% of guys renting a horse 1x a year is a way better option. Horse, tack, trailer, FEED, etc. A good horse is like a good dog, they just don’t live long enough. Spend 10k on a GOOD horse, buy a trailer and tack and Feed the hungry bastard 12 months a year…500 to rent on for a week is CHEAP!!!

I’d go through at least a season on a rented horse. They’re usually ridden hard and know the routine. They’re generally safer than your grass eater that gets ridden a few times before hitting the trails.
Thanks for the advice. I have been considering this for quite a while so I’ve done plenty of research on what the cost is going to be. For the last few months I’ve actually been looking at buying another house and property just for this. Decided boarding was better. Budget is 10k for the horse.

Surprisingly, the local boarding places don’t seem to care if it eats twice as much and still only will charge me $400 a month for board and food. If I get a draft horse a larger trailer is definitely going to have to be factored in. 20 bucks a month to store a trailer there. Sounds way cheaper than I expected for that. Hoof care and everything else seems to go up as well.

If I only planned on using this for hunting season there is no way in hell I would get one. I plan on most of my time being done just cruising around trail riding and exploring the Idaho mountains. I just want to make sure it will also work for hunting, even if it’s not “the best.”

I’ve rode horses a few times but most of them were trained to follow the trail no matter what you did anyway so more like a theme park ride.

Last edited:

Ucsdryder

WKR
Thanks for the advice. I have been considering this for quite a while so I’ve done plenty of research on what the cost is going to be. For the last few months I’ve actually been looking at buying another house and property just for this. Decided boarding was better. Budget is 10k for the horse.

Surprisingly, the local boarding places don’t seem to care if it eats twice as much and still only will charge me $400 a month for board and food. If I get a draft horse a larger trailer is definitely going to have to be factored in. 20 bucks a month to store a trailer there. Sounds way cheaper than I expected for that. Hoof care and everything else seems to go up as well.

If I only planned on using this for hunting season there is no way in hell I would get one. I plan on most of my time being done just cruising around trail riding and exploring the Idaho mountains. I just want to make sure it will also work for hunting, even if it’s not “the best.”

I’ve rode horses a few times but most of them were trained to follow the trail no matter what you did anyway so more like a theme park ride.
You’re going down the rabbit hole. You’ll have 30k wrapped into this in no time! The being said I wouldn’t go full Percheron, a tall horse sucks! Get a cross.

OP
IDspud

IDspud

Lil-Rokslider
Definitely wouldn’t pass up a mixed breed. When I mentioned above being used to log heavy timber in the snowy mountains is apparently mixed with Morgan but still mostly huge Percheron.

CRJR45

WKR
Well if your minds already made up , why ask for advice ? Horses are fickle animals and take years to learn how just to care for them , much less ride them . I've seen too many people do just what you're doing , you love the idea of owning a horse , but don't know the hassle of actually owning a horse .
Boarding is a good way to go , but you're letting someone else care for it , the feed is crucial , horses do not handle diet changes very well , too hot hay , too much grain , can make a horse colic and die .
Plus , trying to target just one breed is limiting your options . Percherons are great horses , I had a friend that used one for Team Penning , slow , but docile and mild manners . But big and wide would be a determent , IMO .
Plus , horses are herd animals , one alone might develop bad habits , like cribbing .
Also , if you keep horses at home , give up vacations .
The daily routing of owning horses is a lot , you need to decide if you want horses in general , learn the ropes , horses like to be fed on schedule , mostly , then try to find a horses to ride in the mountains .
You can do it , but it will take years to learn , IMO , just trying to hep.

OP
IDspud

IDspud

Lil-Rokslider
For sure haven’t made up my mind. I realize the Percherons I am falling in love with are probably $50,000 show horses. There’s a good chance I still may end up on a quarter horse or Appaloosa etc.

I said I don’t have any experience with horses, but I am aware of what goes into it. I dated somebody who had horses and helped with the daily routine. At the time I just never really had any interest in owning one and the only time I rode her horses when she forced me to lol.

Yeah boarding seemed like the best route to go. I already have four hound dogs that need care when I take frequent vacations.

As far as I know the main boarding facility I’m looking at puts them out in the pasture together during the day so it wouldn’t be alone.

I realize what I’m getting into and that is why I want to make sure I end up investing in a horse that I love him and is well suited. Aesthetically Percherons really grab me, but I realize that is a very small percentage of what I should be looking for.

Hardtak

FNG
Not sure why you are so hell bent on percherons other than you have heard they can long line logs in the hills. Yes they are very well suited for that type of work which doesn't mean they are a good riding horse. They are more expensive, feed, shoes, bigger trailer, etc. They are bigger so they don't fit down, up and around country that needs agility. Their feet are too wide to step on the same width of narrow trails other horses will follow. They take way more energy and effort to climb and come down steep terrain. Pie plate feet and 1500lbs do not work well in these circumstances.

You asked why one would want a fast walk in the mountains ? It is alot of work getting horses out to the hillls and spending the day there. I want my horse to walk at a good clip so I at home before dark. Most hunters would rather hike and pack than take a horse if they won't get them into further back country.

Just my opinion but drafts do not make good mountain horses.

Hardtak

FNG
My advice is to go look at and buy a horse that already doing what you want it to do. Don't look at a horse and imagine what you can make him do or work with him to do. As a novice, buy a horse already mountain riding. Your body and mind will thank you

CRJR45

WKR
I had a small hobby farm for years , bred Appaloosas . But my best horse was a cross between a Arabian and a quarter horse pony . Smart and agile , won a bunch of money on that horse . But , out of the 14 or so horses I owned , there was maybe three I'd try to use in the mountains , if that . I agree with what was posted above , find a horse that is already being used for a mountain horse rather than trying to buy a horse you like the looks of and making it be a mountain horse .
Good luck , whatever you decide .