Percheron for hunting/ mountain trail riding?

OP
IDspud

IDspud

Lil-Rokslider
I would get a xray on the PPE if the picture is an accurate representation of those feet angles. Those heels are so high that he is walking on stumps. I would bet he looks like he walks stiff and trips. It doesn't get fixed with just one corrective trim. Possibly with 6 months+ of trims and/or corrective shoes. There could be already damage done to the tendons and ligaments/joints and they have to be slowly corrected or it could result in more extensive damage.

Like I said earlier it is tough to tell from the pics but I would check those out as they look very concerning.
Trying to find a way to upload the video riding him. You may be right, his back legs look stiff walking. I couldn’t tell while on him.

Hardtak

FNG
Trying to find a way to upload the video riding him. You may be right, his back legs look stiff walking. I couldn’t tell while on him.
Depending on how long he has been like that will determine the damage and potential future lamenss. You would walk stiff too if you were wearing high heels.

He also looks long backed and short in the front so his trot is likely short. Under muscled ? in the back end which could be due to the feet.

EdP

WKR
Wow, I haven't read all the posts, just about half. My advice is to cool your jets, you are way too emotionally involved in the whole idea right now. 10K for the horse and almost 5K/yr boarding, then vet and farrier costs? Most guys with that kind of money are too busy working to have the time for a horse. Don't be an askhole, you asked and got some great advice. Allow yourself a cooling off period to take it all in. I have 2 Morgans both 15/2. They cost me between 2 and 3K to keep on my place between feed, vet, farrier, wormer, etc. But, have one little problem and you are looking at another 1 or 2K in vet bills.

I would look at a small horse before a big horse for the mountains. If you want a horse of your own to ride and need a second horse for packing, rent it.

EdP

WKR
I see now that you got yourself a horse. Can't comment on how good a horse it is or isn't, but deciding against the perch was a good move in my opinion. Good luck in your endeavor.

OP
IDspud

IDspud

Lil-Rokslider
I see now that you got yourself a horse. Can't comment on how good a horse it is or isn't, but deciding against the perch was a good move in my opinion. Good luck in your endeavor.
I’ve got a month of riding to figure that out along with a vet check. I like him
He doesn't look like an elk and he is already camoed for a blizzard. You are halfway there no matter what.

I was just gonna spray paint him according to the current season and tape my elk decoy to him.

You ride up to the elk and they will likely come down to look at him. They can be really curious. No decoy needed.

The comment on not looking like an elk relates to back in the 70s when some gents from chicago shot three leapord appaloosas tied in a clearcut claiming they were elk.

Last edited:
The money spent on a PPE is the best money you can spend when buying a horse. Hopefully everything comes back ok. Hard to tell on the feet from the 2 pictures. The first does look weird, but the second picture from head on you can see the feet haven't been trimmed in awhile and don't look like stumps to me. Again hoping that things are good there. I have 2 draft crosses and love them for mountains and hunting. Hope you have good luck with this one.

OP
IDspud

IDspud

Lil-Rokslider
Yeah, weird that someone who owns multiple horses and rides every day might know more than someone with zero horse experience
Idk this guy seems like he might have some experience having owned multiple ranches and having done it for 50 years. Not saying he’s not out to make money but I’m sure he’s pretty experienced.

Going riding this afternoon and the vet that I sourced is coming out tomorrow morning. They know what I will be using him for and said they are perfectly well equipped and experience to tell me whether he will have issues doing that or not.