Perfect 280 AI barrel length?

z987k

Well Known Rokslider
Got ya. So it's a better cartridge for people who are recoil aware.

My post wasn't meant to be challenging, I was honestly just curious after looking at the ballistics. I wasn't taking the recoil into factor.

Thanks for the answer!
Everyone is recoil aware. There's not a person that shoots a 50BMG out of a 8lb gun as well as a 223 out of a 8lb gun.
The recoil from 280ai and 28 nosler are not very close to each other... unless your 28 nosler is a 30lb gun.

You have to look at what the mission for the gun is. 28 nosler is a cool cartridge, but are you hunting elk at 1000 yards?
Realistically it has very very few people that actually need it, which is why in a discussion of 280ai and a little bit of 6.5prc, it's not really appropriate as it's not in the same league at all.

Slugz

Well Known Rokslider
Brass life is also exceptional with any of Ackleys offerings due to the steep shoulder.

mossyoak52

Well Known Rokslider
24 inch browning x bolt sending 162 eld x @ 2996 fps
will kill anything i decide to squeeze the trigger on from the muzzle to farther then ill ever shoot

harvey_nw

Well Known Rokslider
my hand load & i can push it faster then that (3035fps) but thats where the accuracy is in that rifle
Dang that's awesome, what powder? I just hit 100 rds on mine so hoping it settles in and speeds up soon.

mossyoak52

Well Known Rokslider
Dang that's awesome, what powder? I just hit 100 rds on mine so hoping it settles in and speeds up soon.
Hv-100 fed 210 primers Hornady brass have to look up the charge don't have it i front Of me
As we are pepareing to hook up the lund and head for our annual fishing trip for wallye & smallies begining in minn and ending in West Virginia.

manitou1

Well Known Rokslider
When looking at and comparing the ballistics on the eldx it looks like the 28nosler has quite a bit more speed and energy down range than the 280 and 7 mag. How come that particular caliber isn’t being talked about?
I’m asking because I’ve been considering 280ai, 28nosler, 7 mag and 300 prc.
Mainly a western big game guy that would also like to be able to carry it in the mountains for some sheep hunting. Not looking to shoot at 1000 yards on game, for sure on the range though.
Research barrel longevity of the 28 Nosler.
Also, dead is dead. I don't need to burn all the extra powder and experience the extra muzzle blast and recoil when the 280 ai will kill everything I hunt... 1000 yds and in.

JeffRaines

Well Known Rokslider
my hand load & i can push it faster then that (3035fps) but thats where the accuracy is in that rifle

I pushed mine up to 3003 yesterday with 162s, no pressure signs could've went further but brass being as expensive as it is I'll be happy with 2950 or so - that way I can increase longevity of the brass and still be in magnum territory. N560 was the powder I am using, along with Nosler brass.

CApighunter

Well Known Rokslider
Mine is a 24", pushing 155 hammers at 3000 fps a full grain under max pressure. Id probably go 22 inches if I were to do it again but no complaints.

wyosam

Well Known Rokslider
22”. 155 absolute hammer at 3170.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

eoperator

Well Known Rokslider
I sold my 24" proof 280ai barrel w/brake and ordered an 18" bartlein, chickened out and changed my order to 20"