perfect hunting truck and trailer, camper,

rockwind1

Lil-Rokslider
deserty portion of western portion of 'Merica
i know everyone is different but there has to be plenty of guys who have gone down this road. what i like to take hunting these days is sometype of rv that i can stay in and be comfortable, for 2 people. i like to bring both my 4runner and my old polaris 550 atv.

it seems hard to get the perfect rig. i have a 2001 f350 4x4 and i pull a 33ft fifth wheel toyhauler, but i can only get 2 atv's in it and i only ever bring one atv, if that.

i LOVE using my 4runner for hunting. it's amazing. but occasionally i need an atv.

i looked into a decent truck camper but by the time i put on a camper and do the extended hitch, then use my 20ft flat trailer (rated at 14k lbs) to bring my 4runner and atv up. (like 4 runner all the way forward with front facing rear of trailer and then putting on atv sideways but i think any trailer tongue weight plus camper is going to overload truck rear axle. is going to be to heavy for my 4runner and atv

the closest thing i can think of is a big gooseneck trailer, with a truck camper on the front, then 4runner and atv, but i think it would have to be at least a 35ft gooseneck,, not going to go too far offroad in that, although i generally don't go too far off with my fifth wheel so maybe that would work.

the only other thing i can think off is a diesel pusher rv and pull a flatbed with 4 runner and atv,, but that would pulling 10k lbs, trailer is 2830 lbs, 4runner is plushing 6500 lbs and atv has to be 500 plus gas cans. but i don't want to buy a diesel pusher, damn expensive.

i do have a 2019 f350 diesel cclb which is a damn fine truck,, i like having a truck handy as a backup to 4runner

any other ideas would be appreciated.

OP
R

rockwind1

Lil-Rokslider
Dually F350 with a camper and a trailer pulled behind.

Ditch the 4-wheeler and Forerunner combo and go with a SxS instead.
ok, thought about that but in the event i need to use truck to go into right places,, the dually is not good for that. and i like my 4runner, i can sleep in it easily and comfortably, which i do when i am scouting a big area, i wil leave my "base camp" for a night or 2. , i can't do that with a sxs. plus, i have watched the sxs's pretty much ruin all the hunting areas, the roads have turned into powder and they have illegally pushed roads up to every damn saddle anywhere, everytime i go to an old hunting spot to hike,, there is a "new" sxs track there.

plus my truck is a srw,, it would be big hassle to sell it and buy a dually.

but i think your idea is great, if i wasn't stuck with my srw, i would do that.

OP
R

rockwind1

Lil-Rokslider
I 100% support that...

But I'd be looking at a plan that doesn't require 3 different vehicles.
that i totally agree with. i really don't need the atv. but i already have the diesel truck,, and my 4runner is a 2016 with 40k miles since i only use it for hunting or exploring,, i was trying to keep the miles down on by trailering it. and since the trailer will handle it,, i figure why not take the atv. last 2 or 3 years,, i have been 95% using the 4runner. i just have a few areas that i hunt deer that the atv is the only thing that will get me to certain places (code-super secret type of places)

I think if you went with a basic truck camper and not the big fiberglass ones with slide outs you could get by with the in bed camper and an aluminum car hauler, at that point load distribution/tongue weight will be important, but I think it would be doable.
Do those Toyotas weigh that much?

ORJoe

Lil-Rokslider
1: Four Wheel Drive Camper or All Terrain Camper. Not going to be the most spacious for 2, and they're lacking on some comfortable features, but they don't stick out so far past the bed that you need an extended hitch and they're lighter than anything else in the first place. If your truck can handle a normal trailer with the 4Runner and ATV, it can probably handle that and a FWC/ATC.

2: Build up a cargo trailer for camping, ATV inside, tow that with the 4Runner. Not sure how big of a trailer the 4Runner can handle doing that, probably not much.

3: 2nd person drives the 4Runner. It sucks because you wanted to keep miles off it and the trip takes twice as much gas, but you already have all the pieces for this.

Otherwise, you're trying to haul three or four things with one steering wheel, and that just might not be possible without going to a way bigger steering wheel than you want.

TheHammer

WKR
Tons done with the f150 to make it have a bunch of unnecessary power to yank that trailer and gear around. I Added the canvas topper for this years rifle season and solo hunts. Here’s A few spots we setup. Just nice having something to get out of the weather if needed and to hang your wet stuff up. Also piece of mind keep everything locked up while your in for a couple days. I ran my dually and a tent for years (if it didn’t fit I made it fit😂) when I was more resilient and broke. I usta run a shower tent, now I just use the shower bag, if someone sees my white ass n junk it’s their fault for looking.

Attachments

• 28ADA3E9-522C-41F8-9AB1-1BDB130BDCE5.jpeg
    28ADA3E9-522C-41F8-9AB1-1BDB130BDCE5.jpeg
    671.3 KB · Views: 162
  • 063FC4C1-545A-4F4E-877B-2FA794D3A9BF.jpeg
    063FC4C1-545A-4F4E-877B-2FA794D3A9BF.jpeg
    187.7 KB · Views: 156
  • 4A212847-41BC-4CB0-AC04-E21BA5B15F1F.jpeg
    4A212847-41BC-4CB0-AC04-E21BA5B15F1F.jpeg
    373.8 KB · Views: 156
  • CFA1A221-C1B7-4885-AF35-656229EA5029.jpeg
    CFA1A221-C1B7-4885-AF35-656229EA5029.jpeg
    308.1 KB · Views: 152
  • 1CD564F8-9489-44ED-B041-D2D30077E70F.jpeg
    1CD564F8-9489-44ED-B041-D2D30077E70F.jpeg
    294.4 KB · Views: 151
Last edited:
Ditch the camper and buy you a good Davis Tent with a stove and then one of them outdoor showers/toilets. Save you a ton of money by selling the camper and don’t have to mess with winterizing things and messy toilet tanks and all that stuff. 4Runner pulling a 12’ utility trailer with the ATV on it. Problem solved.

TheHammer
What kind of size/weight specs on the trailer and how does the f150 do hauling it around? Mpg/speed?

TheHammer
What kind of size/weight specs on the trailer and how does the f150 do hauling it around? Mpg/speed?
We don't trailer camp very often, but when we do we take this gizmo. Wife's Chevy Colorado tows it without any issues, front gates fold down into ramps and you can drive a big 4wheeler up on the deck. We've had it out in ice storms in Wyoming and somehow didn't blow it to pieces, still surprised about that one. I think the extra 2" thick layers of ice covering it insulated it even better.

Attachments

• PopupAndBoat.jpg
    PopupAndBoat.jpg
    147.3 KB · Views: 159

Wrench

WKR
I've got a ram 5500 4x4 that can take all of that and then some. I totally agree that the 4 runner is the rig to beat in the woods. The way I'd roll is a 24' enclosed trailer and a camper or tent. You get transportation and shelter in one.

TheHammer

WKR
TheHammer
It’s a 16’ v nose, we insulated it, has some nice hooks, utilizing the x track inside for bunk beds, with all gear in it it’s about 7500lbs depending what we bring. It has skis welded to the rear crossmembers protecting the axles n rear framing, I have a lot of mods done to my truck (gtx ball bearing 64mm turbos, ported heads, big intercooler and every bolt on, it makes a fire breathing 671rwhp, ran a 11.8 1/4 topping out before crossing the line, so it’s not a normal f150) this year I averaged 76mph a touch over 2200miles, 9.7mpgs on 91oct, the truck has a 2.5” level in the front bds ucas, 1.5” in the rear with an add a leaf and traction bars, the reinforced ring wheels are lightweight, lighter than stock which are present for functionality, in 2019 when the truck was new I rolled the beads off both passenger side stock wheels n cracked a wheel while popping the back window out as my traction board broke. It has electric front n rear locking diffs. N remote reservoir bilsteins, girdled dif cover.

Last edited:

Fatcamp

WKR
We don't trailer camp very often, but when we do we take this gizmo. Wife's Chevy Colorado tows it without any issues, front gates fold down into ramps and you can drive a big 4wheeler up on the deck. We've had it out in ice storms in Wyoming and somehow didn't blow it to pieces, still surprised about that one. I think the extra 2" thick layers of ice covering it insulated it even better.

LOL. I thought you were tandem pulling with that setup. 🤔

LOL. I thought you were tandem pulling with that setup. 🤔
That pic angle does kinda look like it. That would be way more convenient, couple places we hunt we have to take two trucks just to tow the boat and the camper. I'd just take the boat and a good tent, but the wife likes to stay in the camper so volunteers to tow it so I can't complain too much.

Fatcamp

WKR
That pic angle does kinda look like it. That would be way more convenient, couple places we hunt we have to take two trucks just to tow the boat and the camper. I'd just take the boat and a good tent, but the wife likes to stay in the camper so volunteers to tow it so I can't complain too much.

We tandem pull a big jon boat behind a fifth wheel camper. Have a popup too. Would be cool to pull the boat behind that thing, but pretty sure I would die if the wind blew on it. 😁