perfect hunting truck and trailer, camper,

Justin Crossley

Administrator
Staff member
I was just going to tag you, took notice of your set-up in the Mule deer post you did, looks like a great set up, and it does seem like the best compromise for Forerunner would be a 4 seat side by side
Yeah, I don't think there is actually a "perfect" setup for everything but the camper, cargo trailer, and SxS work very well for us. I have a queen bed, a dinette bed, furnace, toilet, shower, stove, oven, fridge, freezer: basically all the comforts of home and can still tow just about anything I want.

20221028_135441.jpg

20221026_172708.jpg

Titan_Bow

WKR
My setup. I love hunting out of the smaller SUVs. I have a 4Runner now, and that replaced a Nissan Xterra. I have an old Army M101 trailer that I converted to somewhat of a mobile hunting camp/ utility trailer. It really fits my needs. If I were you I would look at either using the 4Runner as my tow vehicle, or ditching it altogether. Going with 3 vehicles just seems to me to be over complicating things.
You could set up an enclosed cargo trailer as a small camper and toy hauler and probably get away with towing that with the 4Runner, but it probably wouldn’t be much fun going up steep mountain passes. If you are more flat ground then that’s probably how I would roll. I’ve seen some really nice mobile hunting camps that people have done with enclosed cargo trailers.

f74085d3b208c1b110aa3c4b1eec3f03.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

In the end I will end up with a toy hauler big enough for a Side by Side and a Pickup big enough to pull it.
it will likely be a fifth wheel. I been running this over and over for a few years and I cant see any other option for a rig that will solve all my needs in one clean set up.

OP
R

rockwind1

Lil-Rokslider
deserty portion of western portion of 'Merica
My setup. I love hunting out of the smaller SUVs. I have a 4Runner now, and that replaced a Nissan Xterra. I have an old Army M101 trailer that I converted to somewhat of a mobile hunting camp/ utility trailer. It really fits my needs. If I were you I would look at either using the 4Runner as my tow vehicle, or ditching it altogether. Going with 3 vehicles just seems to me to be over complicating things.
You could set up an enclosed cargo trailer as a small camper and toy hauler and probably get away with towing that with the 4Runner, but it probably wouldn’t be much fun going up steep mountain passes. If you are more flat ground then that’s probably how I would roll. I’ve seen some really nice mobile hunting camps that people have done with enclosed cargo trailers.

f74085d3b208c1b110aa3c4b1eec3f03.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

that’s a neat set up you have with your trailer, I’ve seen those before, mostly with the Overland crowd. But I don’t think it’s quite for me. as far as towing a cargo trailer with the forerunner, I have done that and imo, it’s just not a good idea on many levels.

OP
R

rockwind1

Lil-Rokslider
4Runner pulling a 12’ utility trailer with the ATV on it. Problem solved.
having towed with a 4runner while trying this very thing, (i have fairly lightweight 10ft enclosed utility trailer) I can confidently say,,,I will not be doing it again. it can be done but i think it is inherently unsafe and will take heaps of life off the 4runner. I like my 4runner too much, it is totally not designed for that, imo. i plan on keeping my 4runner long term.

OP
R

rockwind1

Lil-Rokslider
Yeah, I don't think there is actually a "perfect" setup for everything but the camper, cargo trailer, and SxS work very well for us. I have a queen bed, a dinette bed, furnace, toilet, shower, stove, oven, fridge, freezer: basically all the comforts of home and can still tow just about anything I want.

View attachment 472558

View attachment 472559
gotta love the dually, can totally do it. i just don't like a dually on the hunting roads out here, rocks in the tires and goodby fenders. that is my only issue. nice arctic fox,, i bet that is rated to like 0 degrees?

Exarach

FNG
Father in law picked up a 20ft toy hauler. Gets the SxS in it, then sleeps as a trailer once the SxS is out. Beds fold out of the walls and tows ok with F150 single. I toyed with the idea of getting a ford van that you could load a dirt bike or small ATV in the back, and use that for scouting. Sleep in the Van once the bike was out.

If I had unlimited funds a toy hauler that had sleeping would be the way to go.

Justin Crossley

Administrator
Staff member
gotta love the dually, can totally do it. i just don't like a dually on the hunting roads out here, rocks in the tires and goodby fenders. that is my only issue. nice arctic fox,, i bet that is rated to like 0 degrees?
Yeah, there are some downsides to the dually for sure. Thankfully, I bought my wife a 2019 Ranger that works great for backpack hunts where I need a solid ride to the trailheads. And, my son has a Tacoma so we can use that for local hunting out of the truck as needed.

I don't know what the camper temp rating is but it's designed for snowmobiling so all tanks are heated by the inside temp of the camper. As long as I keep the interior above freezing, I don't have any issues. It hardly uses propane too due to the insulation. I didn't even use both bottles on our last trip which was eight days total. Almost all the nights were in the low to mid twenties. I did quite a bit of research before buying the camper and Arctic Fox was the clear choice for my uses.

I think the perfect rig would be either the truck/truckbed camper/trailer combo, or a converted 4WD sprinter/trailer combo. Each has its own strengths and weaknesses.

Ikmclean

Lil-Rokslider
I'd suggest a high clearance bumper pull RV with the 4 wheeler in the back of the truck and have someone else drive the 4 runner if it makes sense to have it as well. Warmer weather or shorter trips just the 4 runner and a nice tent.

I normally just take my jeep with a tent but when it gets colder or if the kids are tagging along we use our 17ft jayco Baja and I've been surprised how well it handles on blm/Forrest service roads, and my wife will drive the jeep if we think we need it.

having towed with a 4runner while trying this very thing, (i have fairly lightweight 10ft enclosed utility trailer) I can confidently say,,,I will not be doing it again. it can be done but i think it is inherently unsafe and will take heaps of life off the 4runner. I like my 4runner too much, it is totally not designed for that, imo. i plan on keeping my 4runner long term.
Even a lightweight enclosed trailer is a different animal than a flatbed 12 foot utility trailer with no ramp. I wouldn’t want to pull that with a 4Runner either.

Don’t be afraid to drive that thing. Supposedly they will run forever.

TheWhitetailNut

Lil-Rokslider
I recently saw the coach from a travel trailer mounted on a gooseneck. got my wheels spinning.

I’d find a clean Suzuki Samurai and split the difference between the 4 runner and the atv into one unit. It’ll go anywhere a 4 runner will and a lot of places an ATV will and will fit in a toy hauler as long as it’s not a tiny one.

packer58

WKR
In the end I will end up with a toy hauler big enough for a Side by Side and a Pickup big enough to pull it.
it will likely be a fifth wheel. I been running this over and over for a few years and I cant see any other option for a rig that will solve all my needs in one clean set up.
Fifth wheel / gooseneck trailers do pull nice but kill your bed space, and make a shell a no-go. Just something to keep in mind for sure......

Some of the areas I hunt in CO limit the ATV - SxS travel to side roads, so a guy has to trailer on even the main gravel roads. Makes it a hassle and almost necessitates a small SUV and and ATV to access all the areas we like to get to.

For 15 years I hunted out of a Lifted Jeep Cherokee. Towed a small, high clearance, heavy duty enclosed trailer with it and set up a tent. Trailer just barely fit an old ATV. Jeep could go most anyplace I needed it to, but ATV was sometimes handy for recovery. Thinking about buying/building a small Wrangler that can be towed without too much trouble. Can get those a lot of places a SxS will go.

Have also been thinking about buying a canvas top for a 18' flat bed trailer I have. Anyone have experience with those?

Last edited:

TSAMP

WKR
I'd sell all 3 and get an E bike. Those things go anywhere.