Pericarditis

jwb300

WKR
Anyone here have any experience with pericarditis? Specifically I'd like to know how long it took to recover and if there were any long term or lasting effects?

I've just spend the weekend in the ED and have been diagnosed with pericarditis. Essentially a virus has caused swelling in the two layers of tissue that surround the heart. 24 hours of the most pain I've ever experienced.

After my local hospital couldn't work out what was wrong I was transferred to a regional hospital and finally saw a doctor that was able to diagnose it. Some strong pain relief and a course of anti-inflammatory meds brought it under control pretty quick but I've been fatigued since and any level of exertion (i.e. above resting heart rate) results in chest pain and exhaustion.

I'm supposed to be going to Kyrg in November which will be high altitude and I'll need all the lung capacity I can get. I wan't to be sure I will be able to deal with that as I need to book flights soon.

Cheers,
JWB

boom

WKR
Anyone here have any experience with pericarditis? Specifically I'd like to know how long it took to recover and if there were any long term or lasting effects?

I've just spend the weekend in the ED and have been diagnosed with pericarditis. Essentially a virus has caused swelling in the two layers of tissue that surround the heart. 24 hours of the most pain I've ever experienced.

After my local hospital couldn't work out what was wrong I was transferred to a regional hospital and finally saw a doctor that was able to diagnose it. Some strong pain relief and a course of anti-inflammatory meds brought it under control pretty quick but I've been fatigued since and any level of exertion (i.e. above resting heart rate) results in chest pain and exhaustion.

I'm supposed to be going to Kyrg in November which will be high altitude and I'll need all the lung capacity I can get. I wan't to be sure I will be able to deal with that as I need to book flights soon.

Cheers,
JWB

damn OP. this is clearly one of those instances where you want a clear answer from a Doctor and not a bunch of hunting forum enthusiast. i hope you heal up quick and get hunting again..

OP
jwb300

jwb300

WKR
damn OP. this is clearly one of those instances where you want a clear answer from a Doctor and not a bunch of hunting forum enthusiast. i hope you heal up quick and get hunting again..

Thanks mate - just looking for real life experiences rather than theoretical answers from the doc. Cheers

fishslap

WKR
I'm 38 and pretty healthy and I had the exact same thing about three years ago around early January I think. At first I thought it was acid reflux or indigestion, then it kept getting worse to wher the pain was unbearable. I had to have my wife take me to the ER at 2am. They started treating it like severe acid reflux until a nurse finally listened to my heart and heard what sounded like sandpaper rubbing together. He also noticed the pain was worse laying down. Those were give aways for pericarditis. Doctor was a bitch and didn't know shit. Apparently it might usually be bacterially caused but mine was also viral and they never had a clue what caused it. Anyway... I did very little for a month or two then eased back in and was hunting elk in the Colorado flattops in October with no issues. I would take it easy for a while, maybe work on some stretching, small muscle and very low intensity stuff to keep your morale up then hit it harder in a few months. I was for sure OOC for a month or two but no long term affects that I can tell. Hope that helps.

fishslap

WKR
I should clarify that for the first month or two I had almost no energy and did the bare minimum daily stuff. I wouldn't even consider high intensity workout.

What...where's your sense of adventure man. The guy obviously came here seeking our expert opinions.....and here you are denying him that simple request. Gees.....how do you sleep at night.

So, I would pop some Tylenol product dosage and brand of your choosing. Now, if after several months of that not working, we can go to the next step and operate. I am booked several days in advance, so you are really going to want to get that appointment made sooner rather than later. Now, depending on your body type, your options for anesthesia are numerous. I have several hammers ranging from 3oz to 20lbs. You are the patient, so I will leave that up to you. I feel it is really a personal choice.

Danomite

Lil-Rokslider
My wife had pericarditis about 4 years ago. After a 1 am trip to the ER, she saw several docs until a cardiologist finally diagnosed it. It took about 3 months for it to go away. We run a lot, and she had to stop running and working out until it was completely gone or her heart rate would go through the roof. No probs for her since. She slept in a reclined sitting position for several months because laying down made her heart race. I think it just takes some time to clear out.

OP
jwb300

jwb300

WKR
What...where's your sense of adventure man. The guy obviously came here seeking our expert opinions.....and here you are denying him that simple request. Gees.....how do you sleep at night.

So, I would pop some Tylenol product dosage and brand of your choosing. Now, if after several months of that not working, we can go to the next step and operate. I am booked several days in advance, so you are really going to want to get that appointment made sooner rather than later. Now, depending on your body type, your options for anesthesia are numerous. I have several hammers ranging from 3oz to 20lbs. You are the patient, so I will leave that up to you. I feel it is really a personal choice.

Now were talking. Who doesn't love a bit of home surgery. Lock me in for September and the 12oz anaesthesia thanks.

OP
jwb300

jwb300

WKR
I'm 38 and pretty healthy and I had the exact same thing about three years ago around early January I think. At first I thought it was acid reflux or indigestion, then it kept getting worse to wher the pain was unbearable. I had to have my wife take me to the ER at 2am. They started treating it like severe acid reflux until a nurse finally listened to my heart and heard what sounded like sandpaper rubbing together. He also noticed the pain was worse laying down. Those were give aways for pericarditis. Doctor was a bitch and didn't know shit. Apparently it might usually be bacterially caused but mine was also viral and they never had a clue what caused it. Anyway... I did very little for a month or two then eased back in and was hunting elk in the Colorado flattops in October with no issues. I would take it easy for a while, maybe work on some stretching, small muscle and very low intensity stuff to keep your morale up then hit it harder in a few months. I was for sure OOC for a month or two but no long term affects that I can tell. Hope that helps.

Thanks sounds like we had a very similar experience. Painful experience that I hope not to repeat.

Right now I can't even think about physical exercise. I dragged the garbage bin to the street yesterday (about 30m) and spent the next two hours with heart pain.

Thanks again for sharing your experience

OP
jwb300

jwb300

WKR
My wife had pericarditis about 4 years ago. After a 1 am trip to the ER, she saw several docs until a cardiologist finally diagnosed it. It took about 3 months for it to go away. We run a lot, and she had to stop running and working out until it was completely gone or her heart rate would go through the roof. No probs for her since. She slept in a reclined sitting position for several months because laying down made her heart race. I think it just takes some time to clear out.

Thanks Danomite - sounds like I'll be out of action for a few months. I have been able to sleep on my back so sounds like I might not have had it as bad as your wife.

Cheers,
JWB